Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » What must I do to enjoy INCEPTION? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What must I do to enjoy INCEPTION?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 02:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard only good things about INCEPTION when it was playing in theatres but it is not a ordinary film but one that requires a lot of concentration to understand what was going on. There was a lot on my mind when I tried to watch the Blu-Ray after renting it from Blockbuster when it was released and I was totally lost after the first half hour. I have a friend who bought the movie On DVD and watched it twice to understand what was going on. After I told him of my experience of watching the movie, he told me to make an effort to understand the film by watching it again in it's entirety and pay close attentIon to what was being said. Normally I do not waste my time on movies that I have a problem understanding but INCEPTION is a movie I would like to enjoy because of the good word of mouth and many Academy Award nominations and I like all of the special effects visuals I have seen. This time I will buy the Blu-Ray and watch it again tonight.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-31-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have my Blu-ray of Inception loaned out to a friend (again). It's a great movie, but one where it's easy to lose track of what's happening if you miss some crucial details.

I don't think this is quite a spoiler, but the most important plot device the viewer must understand is the notion of dreams within dreams. When we dream, we're going into it at only one level. The mind spies in Inception are diving into multiple levels: dreams inside of dreams. Additionally with each dream level downward the passage of time elongates. This allows for the various action sequences that are all happening in parallel to take place during the film's climax.

When you keep track of the different pieces of action that are happening at different levels and how they tie together the movie becomes a lot of fun to watch. I had a real "movie high" moment watching it all come together in the end as each dream "kick" at different levels were delivered. It was also great how the movie had an emotional core that dealt with the importance of memories and love lost. That helped flesh out the characters into more than just 2D cut outs thrown into a labyrinthine plot.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped it at 15 minutes and fell asleep. Maybe it's a good movie, but I couldn't get into it.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Bobby [Smile]

Can't wait to pick up the Blu-Ray and watch it tonight.

I had no problems with the receiver I reported I was having problems at another thread last night and I am hoping for the same tonight when I watch INCEPTION.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2011 05:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that multiple viewings really help with Inception. I loved it upon my first viewing, but it just gets better and better.

Make sure to crank the sound on this one too: a great mix!

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-31-2011 05:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to catch pretty much everything on my first viewing of Inception, but then again my brain was custom made to order by scientists in a lab. [Smile] Anyway, a lot of people have a difficult time imagining dreams within dreams. Look at it this way: When you are dreaming, you can actually dream that you are asleep and dreaming. That is a dream within a dream. I have had this happen many times before. I was having a weird dream and I "woke up" to discover what had happened was just a dream. Then I wake up to reality and find out that was just a dream. It's weird, but cool.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2011 07:12 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
my brain was custom made to order by scientists in a lab.
It was a brain from Abby something or other; oh yes, it was Abby Normal.

Sorry Joe, I just couldn't resist.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 07:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you inferring Joe is a gorilla?

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2011 08:24 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mighty Joe Young... (insert joke about MJY being better looking/smarter/funnier/more hygienic than JR here).

As everyone else has said, the key here is the concept of dreams within dreams. Like Nolan's other films ("Memento" in particular) you have to pay attention, or you'll miss something important, and there are things which are never fully explained, questions that the film provides no definite answer to.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 08:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Was MEMENTO the movie that featured a story told in reverse? I went to a theatre to see it because of the fantastic reviews I had read and walked out after watching about an hour of it. I think it starred Guy Pierce the actor who played King Edward V111 in THE KING's SPEECH . I just cannot get into watching MEMENTO and got totally frustrated after an hour and left. Despite the rave reviews the movie got, I never made another effort to see it.

-Claude

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-31-2011 10:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this movie is simply not Claude's cup of tea.

After all, one should not have to TRY to enjoy a movie. A movie should not require "directions for use." Nor should any explanations be necessary. Having to explain things to other viewers is a mark against a movie, in my opinion. And this movie needed a lot of explanation, judging from all the chatter that was going on in coffee houses, theatre lobbies and on chat sites.

Provoking discussions about issues and ideas might be a good thing, but provoking one-sided "discussions" where the Chris Nolan fan is "explaining" the movie to perfectly intelligent people is another matter altogether. And I witnessed too much of that going on. I wanted to throw a rock at some of those guys.

You either like a movie or you don't. And, usually, you know within the first 10-15 minutes. Based on your reaction to MEMENTO (yes, you remember it correctly) and now also INCEPTION, I'm thinking you don't go for these kinds of plots.

There are a lot of very popular, successful and/or "important" movies that I can't get through. Case in point: I usually disagree with the entire Oscar situation. I've just come to accept that I can't love every movie out there.

FWIW, I liked INCEPTION but I didn't LOVE it -- never got the urge to see it a 2nd time.

...and now...

...a FAR MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION...

Toggling spoiler alerts? Since when?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2011 10:39 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion would be to forget about watching the film for a couple of weeks, then come back to it when you aren't bothered. And don't try to think about it, just let the plot unfold in its own time. I didn't find Inception one bit confusing because they refer back to the upper layers of the dream constantly. I usually try to do this with my Cinema visits and avoid the hype that is involved with some titles. Sometimes this backfires, Scott Pilgrim got over-hyped to me and it left Cinemas quite quickly so didn't see it in the end. Burn After Reading was a similar situation, just watched that on DVD today actually and didn't care for it.

Manny Knowles

- posted 01-31-2011 11:00 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give the same advice for sufferers of "performance anxiety." [Razz]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-31-2011 11:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inception isn't nearly the mental workout as Memento, although I enjoyed that movie quite a bit. Christopher Nolan's movies have a certain style to them and I'm sure they're not to everyone's liking. I agree if someone just doesn't like a movie he just doesn't like it. Explaining the plot probably isn't going to do any good.

But then there's also the issue of our society's collective attention span being very short. The viewer shouldn't need a prerequisite road map of explanation in order to enjoy a movie. However, most movies deserve our undivided attention. Some viewers don't supply that. So when they miss something because they weren't paying attention, well then they have themselves to blame and not the movie when they end up disappointed.

I'm not saying anyone in this forum does it, but I personally know people who watch movies halfway while they talk about other crap or do other multi-tasking activities. This is very common in home viewing environments. It's also common in theaters too. People carry on phone texting conversations with friends, talk to other people next to them, make trips in and out of the auditorium to visit the snack bar, bathroom, etc. instead of paying attention to the screen.

Knowing this behavior I've told just about anyone asking about Inception that it's important to pay attention. Don't use the movie as background for other crap. Inception isn't difficult to "get," but you really have to watch it with undivided attention to at least get it. Then if you still don't like it, well, you just don't like it and that's that. But at least the movie had its fair chance to entertain.

Manny Knowles

- posted 01-31-2011 11:23 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being such an avid movie collector, Claude strikes me as the sort of person who makes the good faith effort to appreciate a movie.

Hmmm... do "most" movies deserve our undivided attention?

Really? Most of them?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: