Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » THE SOCIAL NETWORK 2010 Blu-Ray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: THE SOCIAL NETWORK 2010 Blu-Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 03:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was not aware of THE SOCIAL NETWORK when it played in theatres last October but heard how great it was only during the past couple of weeks. I had planned to rent it from Blockbuster last Tuesday but saw the Blu-Ray on sale at Walmart for $16.00 and bought it because I was very impressed with the very nice packaging listing an extensive amount of bonus features about the making of the film. It was not only the packaging but something told me I would enjoy the movie because Aaron Sorkin wrote the screenplay and I have always enjoyed his work such as the TV series THE WEST WING.

My hunch was correct because I totally enjoyed the film especially when it featured fantastic acting skills by Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg, Andrew Garfield as Edrado Saverin and Justin Timberlake as Sean Parker. As a Facebook participant, I also enjoyed the historical aspect about the founding of the site and the legal problems Zuckerberg faced when he was sued by his partner Edardo Severin and two brothers at Harvard who had asked him to create a social Harvard website.

I watched The movie last night and will check out the bonus features tonight including the 145 minute documentary about the making of the film and the various short clips about other aspect of the production of the movie. As far as the video quality of the movie is concerned, there were many scenes that appeared dark and I have to assume that is the way it was photographed and presented in theatres. I was very impressed with the sound despite the fact that the film was dialogue driven.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2011 04:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was a snorefest and the majority of the characters uninteresting (except for the hot asian chick and only because she was hot). However the cover of the DVD/Blu-ray packaging really peeves me off. Why? Because it is comprised mainly of quotes from critics. Wow, what an original idea for cover art, guys! What is this, a magazine ad?

-

And why is the Andy Samberg guy smiling? I don't think he smiled even once n the movie.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2011 04:35 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Walmart for $16.00
Wow! That is cheap for a new movie.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 04:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I am afraid I will have to differ with you about the cover. As I had mentioned in my thread, I chose to buy the BD instead of renting the movie from Blockbuster because of the packaging and how attractive it was in addition to the hunch that I would enjoy the movie very much which I did. A good part of the reason I was impressed with the cover was the beautiful graphic design listing very favorable comments by four well known film critics. As a photographic artist with a eye for graphic design I thought the cover was gorgeous as well as the digipac containing the two discs.

I read how you disliked the movie at the Film Review forum and I was hoping I would not have to agree with you before I saw the movie and was very relived I did not share your opinion after I watched it.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 06:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least that cover has the title of the movie at the top in large letters and facing right-side up. The one-sheet for the movie (which was acclaimed as being one of the best onesheets of the year) had the title approximately 3/4" tall, sideways, in a dark blue box, in the top righthand corner with the movie's "tag line" in huge lettering across a bland photo of what's-his-name's face.

What is this obsession poster designers have with the movie title being verboten on the poster advertising the movie?? They either leave it off altogeter or make it small and insignificant. Hey clowns, doesn't BRAND AWARENESS mean anything to you??

Claude -- is that BR you bought at walmart a single-disk edition?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

THE SOCIAL NETWORK Blu-Ray at Walmart is the regular double disc set. I was just at Sam's Club this afternoon and the price was about #23.00. I believe Costco is also selling it for about the same price. I had assumed a person can get the best deal buying DVDs and BDs at stores like Costco and Sam's Club because one will have to pay a annual fee to belong. They do have great prices for catalogue titles but all of new titles are in the mid $20.00 range at those two stores.

-Claude

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 07:40 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see someone have the guts to plaster negative reviews over the cover of a critically-hated movie. The closest I've seen was the inside of the "Freddy Got Fingered" insert, which has its one good review on the front and quotes from other reviews on the inside.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2011 09:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poster is even worse. It's just a close-up of Samburg's face. Who said it was supposed to be one of the best posters of the year? I want to make sure they don't ever reproduce.

Good graphic design or not, any movie that uses multiple quotes on the front of the box is just sad. That tells me that they think most people don't know about the movie and need to "sell" it to them with reviews. It makes me feel as if the studio has no confidence in it without the quotes. Only a moron would be influenced by review quotes on a box.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-13-2011 11:05 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The packaging is HORRIBLE.

The critic piece Joe refers to is actually a U-shaped cardboard overhang. Once you're rid of that, you have a rubbery feeling black sleeve you have to shake to get the actual case out. The case has a rubbery feeling cardboard with two plastic disc holders glued in.

The package probably costs more to manufacture than the two discs.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2011 11:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post pics! That sounds weird. Why can't studios just use normal boxes?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-14-2011 02:47 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not appreciate being reffered to as a moron, Joe [Mad]

-Claude

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-14-2011 07:34 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bundled (with front side of box):

-

Unbundled (with back side of box):

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-14-2011 09:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ewww, that is horrible packaging! I am glad I don't feel the need to own this movie. But then again if I did, I'd just make my own normal, sane box like I did with Back to the Future and all of my Digibook movies.

Claude, you honestly admit to being influenced by review quotes on a box? If that is the case, you must own nearly every movie ever made that had an ad that featured review quotes. If you are going to be influenced by reviews, look them up yourself instead of relying on what the studio shows you because obviously they'll only ever show you the good ones since they want your $$$. The very idea of review quotes pander to those who are too lazy to do research on the movie themselves (which is very easy to do these days). I guess the studios still think it is 1985.

The Academy Award season is coming up and that means TONS of review quotes on just about everything. Screw the reviewers, I'll make up my own damn mind. But the more review quotes, the less I want to see any given movie.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-14-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I did not buy SOCIAL NETWORK because of the reviews on the cover. I bought it because of Walmart's generous pricing and I was very impressed with the packaging. It was not what was printed on the cover but the graphic design of the package that made me decide to buy it at such a very low price for a new movie title because I had a feeling I would enjoy it. I do not buy movies from reviews in fact many movies I had bought and enjoyed received very critical reviews when they were first released to theatres. Also most critics hate 3-D but I love it. If I was influenced by reviews, I would have been all over INCEPTION and bought it the day it came out but when I heard it had a very complicated plot, I decided to rent it first. As it turned out, I did not like the movie at all and only watched almost an hour of it before turning it off. I am happy the movie did well and a lot of people like it but it was not for me. If I do not like a movie and any thing about it because of my personal taste, I have never gone online and write negative comments about it and insult people who did. Just because you do not like a film and packaginG, you must not carry on insisting your opinion is correct and others are wrong and a moron.

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-14-2011 04:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never referred to you as a moron, only those who base their purchasing decisions on reviews provided by the studio. I agree that as a graphic design it looks good, but it works better as an ad in Variety or whatnot than a case for the actual movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: