Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Apect ratio = wide screen TV = sister upset (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Apect ratio = wide screen TV = sister upset
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2011 11:06 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

This has been covered before on the forum but it gave me a laugh and hopefully you also.

So I was at my sisters house for Christmas day and they were having a "That 70's Show" marathon on MTV.

The picture is streched out so everyone is fat. Since I was the only one watching, I "unsqueezed" the picture so it was at the 4:3 ratio.

So then my sister comes into the room and is upset and demanding to know "what I did to the TV!". I explained that because it was an older TV show that I was watching it in the proper ratio. She mumbled something about not understanding and insisted that I change it back when I'm done watching TV!

I just sort of laughed and finished watching the episode they were on.

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2011 11:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
People are stupid.

Take a picture of her. (Preferably one that shows her waistline.) Stretch it out the same as that tv was doing to the 70s show. Show her both pictures and ask which she prefers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-01-2011 11:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a setting on your TV which automatically changes the display based on the aspect ration of the incoming signal?

We just bought a new TV for my mother in law. It's a Vizio LED flat screen. It has an automatic mode like that.

Whenever the program is SD or 4:3 AR it shows the picture "pillarboxed" to the correct size with black borders on the sides. If it sees a Hi-Def picture it automatically fills the screen.

The only time it gets weird is when it sees a SD/4:3 picture that's been "letterboxed" to faux widescreen inside the 4:3 frame. You'll see a small image with black borders on all four sides. It looks weird but there isn't much you can do because some genius in the production studio F-ed up the picture.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-02-2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Take a picture of her. (Preferably one that shows her waistline.) Stretch it out the same as that tv was doing to the 70s show. Show her both pictures and ask which she prefers.
That is GENIUS.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 12:20 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Isn't there a setting on your TV which automatically changes the display based on the aspect ration of the incoming signal?
I think you'll find that the OP was saying "I changed it to that setting and my sister got mad."

She wanted it to be set so that the picture filled the screen, even if it made people look totally messed up.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God damn I hate stupid people. They want the image filled 100% at all times because they "paid for that screen and they want it to be used". I am blown away that people don't come running out of the auditorium when a letterboxed or pillarboxed trailer comes on.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-02-2011 12:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're all being judgmental about it:

Aspect Ratio

NOT -- Apect Ratio (thread title)
NOT -- Aspect Ration (Randy)

[Razz]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2011 12:36 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there are those networks that broadcast everything 16:9 on their HD channels. [thumbsdown] And I know people that adjust their TVs to stretch mode and actually prefer it that way.

Brad is right!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2011 01:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CNN is particularly bad for stretching everything, even on their web site (what the hell?)

Perhaps they ran out of their rations. [Smile]

I think that when hiring a technician to do any sort of optical work at a movie theater, one should first visit said technician's home and throw some 4:3 content up on his screen. If he stretches it, do not hire the tech and blacklist him so that he never works in the industry again. Such a tech would have no issue with filing a scope aperture plate with the lens twisted a bit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 01:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also have a Visio and I've got mine set to "panaramic" view where it just slightly stretches out the side to fill the screen yet keeps the majority of the center image in proper proportions.

Kinda like having a diopter in an anamorphic lens to correct the squeeze distortion on closeup shots ..

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 01:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I am blown away that people don't come running out of the auditorium when a letterboxed or pillarboxed trailer comes on.
I had that happen once. But he wasn't "complaining" just asking if there was something wrong because the picture wasn't all the way to the sides.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 03:03 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a movie at the AMC Shirlington in VA over the holidays. All of the pre-show video irratainment was in squish and stretch vision. I'm sure everyone felt right at home, or in an upscale hotel. Thankfully, the feature was on film and they had the correct lens.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2011 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One day I arrived at the theater back when we were showing MILK to do some technical work or something. It was a flat movie sharing the screen with a scope movie. The assistant manager was running MILK with the scope lens and masking, having neglected to change either and not noticing when he started. Fortunately he walked off the job about a year ago, but what was really interesting to me is that nobody in the audience complained as they were sitting there watching everything all stretched out. Granted, there weren't that many people and it was a weeknight. Also it was still within reel 1 or 2 and I quickly switched it. I bet people would have complained before the advent of 16:9 TVs.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2011 05:23 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why wasn't she complaining about paying for MTV and not getting MUSIC on it 24/7?

I've been to restaurants that had widescreen TVs on stretch mode- I never leave a tip when they do that [Wink]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2011 06:31 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was at one of my relative’s house over Christmas. Soon after settling down to watch Christmas Eve TV soon became obvious that something was up. Her TV was on some setting called 'Cinema 1'. What this did was take the 16:9 image and zoom it equally on both the top and sides. So you are watching a 16:9 image (from a 16:9 broadcast) but you are missing some of both the width and height of the original image. Changing the TV over to the 'Wide' setting restored it to normality. Wonder what function this 'Cinema 1' setting is supposed to have?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: