Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Back to the Future on Blu-Ray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Back to the Future on Blu-Ray
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-25-2010 02:20 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this was one of my presents this morning. I opened it and we watched the first one... and I'm a little disturbed. The "TO BE CONTINUED..." was removed. What is up with that? That really bothers me. Why would they do that?

I'm not sure if "TO BE CONCLUDED..." was removed from part II or not yet.

Ugh.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-25-2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
The "TO BE CONTINUED..." was removed.
The original print never said "To Be Continued" It was added to the VHS tapes.

I am sure TO BE CONCLUDED will be there. Part II prints had the Part III preview at the end of the movie.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-25-2010 08:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be more disturbed at the awful packaging of the set.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-25-2010 10:31 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
The original print never said "To Be Continued" It was added to the VHS tapes.
WHAT?!? Woah, my world is falling apart. Did they not anticipate parts II and III when I was out? I thought the "TO BE CONTINUED..." was a great way to end it.

I thought I was sure I have seen it in more places than the VHS tape.

Ah well.

And yeah the packaging is kinda strange.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 10:41 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, parts 2 and 3 were afterthoughts after universal saw how well part 1 did in theaters. Its all explained in the commentaries

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-25-2010 11:26 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. All this time.

Next you're all going to tell me that the first Star Wars wasn't called "Episode IV". [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-26-2010 03:31 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I'd be more disturbed at the awful packaging of the set.
Or by the way it now looks like it was shot on video.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-26-2010 07:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look like that here.

Vern Dias
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2010 09:55 PM      Profile for Vern Dias   Author's Homepage   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Junky looking BD. Only suitable for viewing on a 40" or smaller display from a 15 feet+ viewing distance.

Rather than creating a new transfer, Universal used an old one and DNR'd it to death, then applied a generous helping of sharpening to try to "restore" the detail the DNR processing destroyed.

Vern

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-26-2010 11:15 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Citation needed.

We just watched all three here while being snowed in. They all looked great on my 53" TV. My wife and I noticed details in the images that we never noticed before. Were they perfect? I don't think so. But they looked pretty darn good to me.

Vern Dias
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Vern Dias   Author's Homepage   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/145829-back-future-25th-anniversary-trilogy-oct-26th-178.html#post4058215

For a comparison between an UN-DNR'd original and the damage done by DNR applied to the BD transfer.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/fbce38103448214

http://www.imagebam.com/image/72ce36103448588

Compare the halos around the highway signs on the two images... The first image is from the BD, the second from an HDTV broadcast. Make sure you click on each image to show the full 1080 resolution.

I hope links are legal....

Vern

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Links are illegal, you will soon be arrested.

Anyway, the BD version looks much better than the HDTV broadcast version. The Blu-ray has no vertical sharpening that I can detect whereas the HDTV broadcast version has a halo on the letterbox bar as a result of vertical sharpening. The BD seems to have horizontal sharpening whereas the HDTV broadcast version does not. BD still wins. The BD has more detail as well.

Here is an example which shows off the halos in each version really well:

-

-

Perfect? No. But studios will never stop doing this. Ever.

Also, Claudia Wells was hotter than Elizabeth Shue.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2010 11:26 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've last seen Back To The Future 2 21 years ago when it was first run. I haven't seen it since.
I recall Lea Thompson having breast implants.
I recall the older Biff chastizing the young Biff ("Make like a tree and LEAF! You sound like an IDIOT when you do that!"
I recall Michael J Fox entering through what he thought was his bedroom window and finding black kids in his room.
However, except for the beginning of the movie where she is sleeping, I cannot recall what else Elizabeth Shue did. Did somebody pay her a million dollars to pretend she is sleeping?
I'm wondering if she did more in the third one, which I still have not seen.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-27-2010 11:47 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
However, except for the beginning of the movie where she is sleeping, I cannot recall what else Elizabeth Shue did. Did somebody pay her a million dollars to pretend she is sleeping?
They also paid her to pretend to wake up and pretend to be an older version of herself w/ makeup and whatnot.

And regardless of Claudia Wells being hotter back in the day than Elisabeth Shue, Shue is much more attractive than Wells today. Only one of them has aged a bit gracefully.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-28-2010 12:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Wells lately, but I will take your word for it. No need to prove it, either... really, I'll take your word. Do not destroy my vision of Wells.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: