Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » SHREK The Whole Story on Blu-Ray

Author Topic: SHREK The Whole Story on Blu-Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-08-2010 03:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SHREK, the first of four movies about a lovable Ogre was the only one I saw in a theatre and and never saw the other three because by the time they were released, I did not see too many movies in a theatre anymore and passed on them. I was also not interested in seeing them when they were released on DVD.

All four SHREK movies were released in Blu-Ray this week and for some reason, I thought now would be a good time to see them in the full glory of high definition at home. Although I had already seen it, I decided to watch the first SHREK movie last night and watch the remaining three tonight, tomorrow and Friday. When SHREK was released to theatres almost ten years ago, D Cinema was just getting started and it was shown in a few theatres in digital, I saw it in 35mm and the presentation did not leave a lasting impression except for the fact that I felt the movie was extremely entertaining. Watching the movie again last night in Blu Ray was a visual treat and I learned it gets better and better with it's three sequels and the last one is the best of them all. I heard the 2nd film was better than the first and the 3rd film was not too popular with the public and critics and the 4th is very good. I am very happy, I will now have the opportunity to finally get to watch them all in HD and form my own opinion.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to disagree with you on the quality of the movies. I thought the first one was excellent, the second was less so and the third was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. The fourth one was probably second-best of the series in my opinion.

There is an interesting article in Time this week about how animation in the last decade has really been driven more by Dreamworks -- not Pixar. It's an interesting take on the whole thing which I'd never thought of, but after reading it I tend to agree. I'll see if I can find it online and post it in a new topic over in Yak.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-09-2010 12:52 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first one, really disliked the second one, and didn't bother with the others.

If they release the first one standalone, I'll probably add it to my collection.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-09-2010 03:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't care for the first one mainly because Mike Myer's horrible fake accent is just grating beyond compare. Didn't bother with any of the others, don't care for non-Pixar CGI-fests.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-09-2010 03:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I did not say the 2nd SHREK movie was better than the first. I only said it was considered by many people to be better than the first film. I saw SHREK 2 last night and I enjoyed it very much. I like them both and could not say which one is better. I plan to watch the 3rd film tonight with an open mind and probably enjoy it. So far, I am very pleased with the collection. The quality of both films has been excellent with stunning 1080p picture and sound and I heard SHREK 3 and 4 gets technically better.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2010 06:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well from this sentence:
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Watching the movie again last night in Blu Ray was a visual treat and I learned it gets better and better with it's three sequels and the last one is the best of them all.
...it sounds like that what you said.

I guess you were talking about technical quality vs overall quality. From that standpoint almost every animated movie improves over the ones ahead of it, but that doesn't mean it's a better movie.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-09-2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a reason we all called it Shrek The Turd...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-09-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first installment of Shrek but didn't care for its next two sequels. Haven't seen this fourth one; I might consider renting a Blu-ray of it -but more likely I'll probably just wait for it to appear on HBO or something.

I definitely prefer Pixar's animated movies, particularly on the technical terms and attention to detail. Some of PDI/Dreamworks' stuff has been pretty good though. I liked Monsters vs. Aliens and Kung Fu Panda was surprisingly good. I need to rent How to Train Your Dragon.

PDI/Dreamworks doesn't push the state of the art quite to the level of Pixar. They always seem to be a step or two behind on the technical side. But they're doing more to serve grown up crowds while Pixar tries harder to keep things G-rated.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK, the released a set called "Shrek: The Complete Story," with the first three films remastered in 3D and a coupon for the fourth. It's available in the US, but only with the purchase of a Samsung 3D television. Neither the 3D Complete Story nor the 2D Whole Story include "Shrek 3D," the film from the 4D theme park attraction, which is a shame since it was designed as a bridge between the first and second films. It was released on DVD years ago and used to be available in the Shrek DVD box sets.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-10-2010 03:07 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching SHERK THE THIRD tonight and I agree it is not as good as the first two but it was still entertaining. There were a lot of silly elements throughout the movie that probably turned a lot of people off but I just ignored them and and just went with the flow of the story. I am looking forward to tomorrow night when I will watch the 4th and final film.

-Claude

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2010 03:38 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first three Shrek movies...THE FIRST TIME I SAW THEM! Now that it's about 200 times later, not so much. My two year old is infatuated with Shrek and it is our nightly ritual. After his bath he watches Shrek before bed. We have yet to see the fourth one, but I bought it for him for Christmas. I bought it in a DVD bundle with a Donkey Christmas movie or something like that. I don't even care if it totally sucks. I just cannot bear to watch the first three films one more time. [puke]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-11-2010 09:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching SHREK FOREVER AFTER last night, I finally made the effort to watch all four movies in the series at home. I only saw the first film in a theatre and never saw the others but after watching SHREK FOREVER AND AFTER, I wish I saw that movie in a theatre in 3-D because even in 2-D the movie looked awesome but I suspect seeing it in 3-D would have been much better.

I am sure many of you will not agree with me but I liked SHREK FOREVER AND AFTER much more than the first and 2nd film. In addition to the movie, there were some very interesting extra features such as the cast interview and the two Christmas features. As I had mentioned earlier, I am very happy with the collection. There was a time when I could have purchased the first three films on DVD in a collection but I was turned off because it was in full screen only. It was very interesting to see Dreamworks shift to scope for the final feature when the other three were all flat. Between the scope and the flat ratios, I though scope was better.

-Claude

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-12-2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
There's a reason we all called it Shrek The Turd...

DAMN it Chris, you made my coffee shoot out of my nose.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2010 10:15 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter loves the Shrek films. We got her the DVD 3-pack while we were visiting Grandpa. I was disappointed because it was in Full-Screen.

We just got her all four Shrek films in Wide-Screen on DVD. I might have gone for Blue-Ray but my wife bought them at Walmart. She doesn't see the difference between Blue-Ray and DVD and neither does my Daughter. As a 2 1/2 year old she watches all her movies over and over again.

I didn't like the Shrek movies when they came out, but now I have a better appreciation of them. We have had a lot of time to discover the jokes.

Basically my Daughter has stolen my TV and I don't get to watch what I want to watch. All I can say is at least she likes good films like Pixar, DreamWorks and Studio Ghibli instead of Barney, Elmo and other dreck.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-16-2010 07:59 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
DAMN it Chris, you made my coffee shoot out of my nose.
I hope you were drinking it at the time. [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: