Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » From Dusk Till Dawn

Author Topic: From Dusk Till Dawn
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-06-2010 12:38 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
**1/2

It was fun to look back at this movie. Half a hostage movie, the other half a vampire movie. You could clearly see the influence of Pulp Fiction in this film.

I have to say some memorable characters were Tarantino, Tom Savini, and Cheech Marin as Chet Pussy who has one of the best lines in the movie about Pussy.

Also really cool to see Salma Hayek. She was about 30 in this, it was a great scene with here dancing.

The last 30 is a bit of bore as it is just become blood, guts and gore.

Also, looking back a George Clooney in his big screen debut, IMPRESSIVE. Who would of thought at the time.

Juliette Lewis should of left with George Clooney at the end.

Also interesting to see what looks like a matte painting in the final shot.

The picture looked good and very film like as I played my old laserdisc and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound was good.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-06-2010 01:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this one being in SDDS only and we were one of the very few theaters in town with that spectacular brand of highly supported, top-notch digital hardware (which made it seem pretty cool at the time). I didn't know who Salmonella Hayek really was at the time, but I loved her scenes (which had great music and sound as well). Then suddenly all hell breaks loose. I couldn't stop staring at George Clooney's neck tattoo. But what occupied the majority of my thoughts was "why the hell is Quentin Tarantino in this?" If I recall, at least they had the decency to kill him quickly.

I wish these vampires would have a night out with the pansies from Twilight.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-06-2010 03:27 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Quentin Tarantino in this?"
Tarantino was the exec producer and screenplay writer for this movie. The movie was released right after Pulp Fiction and cast George Clooney (nobody in big screen world) at the time. Also, Robert Rodriguez was not all that big at that time either, RR had done pretty much Desperado and El Mariachi to date.

I bet it was a lot easier to green light this movie with Tarantion being in it that was with him not.

quote: Joe Redifer
I remember this one being in SDDS only and we were one of the very few theaters in town with that spectacular brand of highly supported, top-notch digital hardware
I remember this too. We played it in Cinema #5 at the Sherway Cinemas which was a former THX auditorium...We played it with SDDS with just 5 channels.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-06-2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I loved about this movie was that I went in with NO idea what it was about or what was coming, so the whole vampire thing came completely out of left field. Wife #1 and I were both like "WTF???"

Haven't seen it since its original theatrical release, though.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-06-2010 02:22 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam -- isn't this the BEST way to see a movie? To me, if a director can do this, and make it so at least I can't write the next few scenes ahead of what I am watching, I'll give him 50 points right off the bat. I am a movie lover...I am very easy; I can enjoy a film on any number of levels, but the one thing I can't abide is if I can see what's coming. If he can't be original enough NOT to give me a story that is original enough that I can't figure it out before it comes on the screen, then I might as well go home and finish the script myself, and make HIM pay ME.

I've always said, if I were a filmmaker, I would make a film with all the wrong music cues and maybe three or four mixed genres. For example, make it seem like it starts out as a serious drama, and all of a sudden, as the leads are having a picnic and talking about whether or not to abort their pregnancy, here comes giant ants or a monster quid or something over the top of the hill, but the music changes to romatic comedy music cues as they scream and run in horror, yelling for everyone in sight to run....then they all break into a musical number....I mean REALLY fluck with the viewer's mind. Of course, this would be the first and last film I would ever make, but it sure could be used as a demo in film class as to how genres can't be mixed and how music cues substantially tell the audience what to anticipate.

You can accept people breaking into song if you are given the cues that tell you, This is a Musical. And you can accept serious drama if those are the cues you are given, and the same with horror stories and supernatural stories, but you can never EVER except them in the same film....well, except if you are Indian and watching Bollywood films. But anyone else, if given diametrically opposite cues and mixed genres, their brains might actually explode...and how much fun would THAT be to see?....heh heh.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI - If you like FDTD you can get it on blu-ray from Amazon in Canada for about the price of lunch at Five Guys.

From Dusk Till Dawn Blu-ray

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-28-2010 10:59 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the Canadian version of From Dusk Till Dawn causes diarrhea? That's the price I pay if I eat bad-tasting crap like Five Guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: