Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Fuji 3D camera (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fuji 3D camera
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 04:50 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh Gee Wow!" .. a new $400.00 toy to go with those 3D TV's:

Fujifilm FinePix REAL 3D W3 10 MP Digital Camera

-

When will it ever end?

|  IP: Logged

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 07:44 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, why should it end now? It's been going on for about 150 years so far. For example over 70% of all photographs taken of the American Civil War were in 3D.

Here is the Fuji's 3D ancestor from the late 1940s...

-

There are some who swear by the Fuji, but as long as I can get film, I'll be sticking with my Stereo Realist cameras.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Hillary Charles
For example over 70% of all photographs taken of the American Civil War were in 3D.
I'm sure you're not contributing to the 57.435% of all statistics made up on the spot yourself, but I am skeptical of that figure. They were shooting big plates back then, and having TWO 8x10" plates of glass, two lenses, and two developing trays to allow you wet-plate speed was not a trivial matter.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathon, if you knew me better, you'd know that when it comes to the history of stereophotography, I strive to be 100% accurate 100% of the time.

I've heard that the percentage of stereo (3D) views of the Civil War was upwards of 80%, but chose the more conservative 70% figure, based on the information provided by the Center for Civil War Photography.

You can even consult the two volumes of Civil War stereoviews produced by photographic historian Bob Zeller, "The Civil War in Depth." on page 18 of the first book, he writes of the 1863 catalog of Alexander Gardner:

"Of the 572 photos listed for sale in Gardner's catalog, 407 were stereo views...By the war's end, his catalog listed more than 1,400 stereo views."

Stereo cameras of the era weren't of the 8x10 wetplate variety, but rather cameras using smaller (4x10") plates, built for the purpose of capturing 3D.

BEHOLD! THE GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER OF THE FUJI W3!

-

Any questions?

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what about Matthew Brady?

He didn't even accept the wet plate process, opting instead for the older, more hazardous, slower (speed of material and speed of developing images wise), but higher quality Daguerrotype process. (Film users today are like the modern day Daguerrotypists.) The reason Brady's images have been preserved so well is that, during The Great War (WWI) the brilliant intelligence of the U.S. army discovered many of the non-Daguerrotype images Brady was forced to use (again, read this as a modern day equivalent of a hard drive) and used them, scraping off the emulsion, to make GREEN HOUSE SHINGLE GLASS [Eek!]

If 3D photography really were that prevalent (and I'm certain it wasn't, you'd be lucky if it were 30%, it was all for nought, as I haven't seen a single stereo image from the civil war. They're all I guess left eye or right eye images.

Really, looking at this objectively, I'm sure it was used as an upsell. "Hey soldier, you and your men can be seen in 3D for just a couple of bits more!"

"No thanks, we'll just take paper prints. We don't have a stereo viewer. . ."

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a fact that most of the more famous photographs attributed to Mathew Brady were originally stereos, as surviving cards exist. Also, keep in mind that his catalog consisted mostly of the work of other photographers in his employ, including Gardner, until he went out on his own.

You can continue to believe your 30% figure (which I am sure is something you just didn't make up yourself [Razz] ), but I have offered sources to substantiate my assertions, including the two aforementioned books, currently resting on my lap, containing hundreds of select 3D images.

While it is also a fact that the vast majority of people did not get stereo portraits taken of themselves, it is equally true that the Holmes stereo viewer was a ubiquitous fixture in many homes' parlor rooms, often with a wide selection of commercially produced stereo cards. It was the television of its era.

And just so you can finally say you saw some 3D civil war photos, here is a listing from The Library of Congress.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 12:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and forgot to add that the Fuji does video as well ...

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 01:44 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet, but i'm wondering if it has a Lenticular Lens based screen on the back, so you can at least view photos on the camera without 3D glasses, THAT would be at least somewhat more interesting. IF you need a 3D TV with this camera then I see it going to the pile of discontinued and unloved electronics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_lens#3D_television

*Edit*
It does use a lenticular lens on the LCD so you don't need 3D glasses if you were to view it on the camera alone. That being said, I see in 3D normally, I can deal with my memories being shot in 2d [Smile]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, if it's anything like the previous model, the W1, it does have a lenticular screen on the back.

Not sure about the W3, but the video mode on the W1 appeared choppy to me, so I think I would much prefer a more dedicated 3D video camera, when a reasonable one becomes affordable, along with a good 3DTV. But I agree that there is so much going on with this, I'd rather wait for the dust to settle and see what (if any) survives.

EDIT: You found it before I posted my reply! You're in the great majority, but those wedding couples I've shot greatly prefer my 3D images over their regular albums. And since shooting my own personal pictures in 3D since 1998, the 2D doesn't quite do it for us anymore.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-30-2010 06:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D home photography has had fans for decades -- Hillary's Stereo Realist being one of the most popular cameras, but there have been others, my Nimslo and 3D-35, all using 35mm film.

My best friend's dad had one as far back as the early 50s and took hundreds of family pictures which he showed in 3D with a Realist 3D projector, a silver screen and of course the polaroid glasses. Yes, I know, many of you whine about having to don glasses (going to the beach must be a chore without sunglasses), but then my buddy's family and mine must have been different -- none of us kids or adults ever seemed to be bothered by the glasses as it got us to see those great pictures with depth. We loved it when he broke out the gear to put on a show for us.

Home 3D has been around for a LONG time and it isn't going away. Once lenticular processing became available, we didn't need the projector any more and could get the best pictures printed so you could see them in 3D sans glasses.

And of course with digital, the lenticular process can be applied to any screen surface behind which the images can be sliced L/R, L/R etc. and aligned under the lenticular screen. They are already talking about that process being applied to hand-held devices like ipods, ipads and smart phones. So for those who seem to be not only indifferent about 3D, but actually feel the need to denegrade it as being a fad which you hope will disappear sooner rather than later -- not gonna happen.

If you think 3D still photography has a following which you don't understand, I guess digial 3D home video will REEEEALY annoy you:

-

So might as well get used to it because evidently, no, it will NEVER end. [Razz]

Hillary, do you process any of your shots lenticular (it is fairly expensive)? Do you have a good processing lab?

Don't be a 3D hater.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-30-2010 07:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love creating and viewing 3D stills. In fact I took these pics only a few months ago (left eye = red, as always):

-

-

It really is fun photographing and creating 3D still images. It is even fun doing 3D video. However with video and moving images, it becomes kind of pointless after a few minutes or so. It is awesome when you pause it and look at the intricacies of the 3D when it isn't moving, but when it is moving there is no time to appreciate it and it is kind of annoying. Full blown movies in 3D is stupid, but whatever. Enjoy all of your computer rendered cartoons, there are thousands of them coming.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2010 08:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Cool anaglypph...I got the 6 button SEGA "Power Stick")

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2010 10:12 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Hillary, do you process any of your shots lenticular (it is fairly expensive)? Do you have a good processing lab?
Frank, the two images from the Realist aren't enough to make a good lenticular print. Intermediate images would have to be synthesized from the L/R pics, increasing the cost. However, I have found a printer who can make nice lenticular enlargements at reasonable prices. I'm thinking of having a regular 2D pic converted and printed by him in the future.

So far, I've not found anything that matches the impact of the Realist slides in the red button viewer. Yeah, I'm still shooting slides. My last roll of Kodachrome 25 is still at Dwayne's. I sent it out two weeks ago so I'm not terribly worried about it getting done. And now I'm shooting E6 and keeping my fingers crossed that the local lab keeps its processor for a while longer.

Though the viewer is probably the best, I do enjoy doing 3D slide shows. And yeah, I love the whole polaroid glasses and silver screen thing. Below is a pic of a show I did for a family reunion. Because of the vintage stereo slides they found, I was able to help some long-gone family members appear to be there with them. You can see my old TDC projector in the background.

-

And Frank, you might enjoy (and identify with) this vivid recollection of enjoying 3D slides in the 1950s.

"...In the winter they hosted parties where they would project their slides; the kids sitting on the floor up front and the parents comfy on furniture in back and everybody wearing cardboard glasses. These shows were a lot of fun, not only due to the interesting subject matter but for the unusual 3-D effect. As the images clicked by, Stella or Em would narrate and tell us what we were seeing and who was in the picture. If you've never seen well-shot, well-projected 3-D pictures, it's quite an experience. We would look at the pictures and feel like we could step right into the screen and stand in front of the Eiffel Tower, or walk through the gates of the newly opened Disneyland. The pictures made quite an impression."

I'll be doing two more 3D slideshows in January. The audience reaction is always enthusiastic. But for the internet, ancient anaglyph is still the easiest to share (for now). Not sure if I posted it before, but this is one of the most fun of my 3D pics, the T-rex from the NY Museum of Natural History:

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-30-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are the lights in the background separated vertically and not horizontally?

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2010 07:57 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picky, aren't you Joe? [Wink] That's because I didn't have the images properly scanned, but rather just held up my little P&S digital camera to the eyepieces of the viewer. If not done 100% dead on, I get some distortion. Or there might be some rotation between the images I wasn't able to correct at the time. One or both of those is what's happening here.

Cheap and dirty way to digitize the images, but the T-rex works fine... [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: