Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Grease on Blu-Ray... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grease on Blu-Ray...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-15-2010 05:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, it looks fabulous...

-

...but that's about where it ends.

There is so much bottom end in the track my head was hurting. I all but had to switch off my sub-woofer to make it possible to listen to the track. The re-release audio track was always crappy even in the cinemas but it's crappyness is more pronounced at home.

The opening titles have been shrunk into a black all-round border. Some of the lettering was always tight, but really...this sucks. Here's a screen grab over the top of the first picture to show you just how much it's been shrunk.

-
Bleccchhhh!

The removal of the Coca Cola ads in the milk bar scene is as rough as it always was. I wonder why they removed them and yet left the large Coca Cola ice box on prominent display though...

-

All that being said, on the whole and apart from the dumb and pointless opening title shrinking, it's never looked so good.

-

Image Quality: 10/10
Sound Quality: 5/10
Stupid Opening Title Shrink: 0/10

|  IP: Logged

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2010 07:53 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that was a Coke sign on the wall? I always thought it was a mirror which was fuzzed out to alleviate the reflection of the camera and crew it most likely picked up. As you said, why fuzz out one Coke ad and leave another?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-15-2010 10:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it was because it was an (obvious) advert, which was a naughty thing to do as Pepsi objected.

The cooler is not so much an advert as a prop.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-15-2010 11:40 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Grease Special Edition THX Dolby Digital laserdisc...SEALED

No need for blu ray

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-16-2010 12:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to watch it there might be. That sealed LaserDisc won't do you much good unless you sell it.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-16-2010 12:43 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
If you want to watch it there might be. That sealed LaserDisc won't do you much good unless you sell it.
None of the (800+) laserdiscs are for sale.

I doubt I will ever watch it, I have never actually seen it.

I paid $1 for it. The orignal sticker of $64.99 is still on it. What a different time that was!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-16-2010 01:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I buy something that is sealed (such as an old videogame, etc), my first action is to unseal it and use it.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-16-2010 02:33 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Whenever I buy something that is sealed (such as an old videogame, etc), my first action is to unseal it and use it.
Meh, I bought the disc along with 250 others for $250. It just so happened that is was in there along with DTS Long Kiss Goodnight LD

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-16-2010 03:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. You don't want to use it, you don't want to sell it, what the hell good is it?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-16-2010 03:51 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't get it. You don't want to use it, you don't want to sell it, what the hell good is it?
I am more of laserdisc hog than anything, I didn't get back into lds for selling them. I have no real interest in watching the movie.

Its just sits there next to Titanic which I opened

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2010 07:12 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, John. The first thing I thought when I saw the subject heading was literally, "I wonder if that Coke sign is still blurred out." Seriously. That has bugged me from the first itme I saw it. Nice to know I'm not the only one that grates on. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2010 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue how a Blew Rae can play with Grease on it [Big Grin] ... Wondering what solvent could be used to clean it off with out damage...

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2010 08:32 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> The removal of the Coca Cola ads in the milk bar scene is as rough

I don't know if the sign is blurred out in the original release prints, but it was blurred out in the late 1990's SRD re-issue.

As to the LaserDiscs, they were the best that standard definition had to offer prior to DVD, but the bottom line is that they are still standard definition, and while there were some really good looking LaserDiscs, and some really sucky looking DVDs, overall DVD looked noticeably better.

Back when DVD's first came out, my local LaserDisc rental store started renting them along with renting a player. I rented the player along with 4 DVD's of movies I owned on LaserDisc. Doing some comparisons on my big screen tv, DVD blew away LaserDisc. The next week I struck a deal with the now defunct used LaserDisc mail order company, "Big Mama's", drove up to Boston with 200 LaserDiscs and drove home with $3000. Smartest move I ever made. A few months later you could not give LaserDiscs away.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-16-2010 10:22 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the Grease Blu-ray (and the Grease DVD, actually) is that the musical numbers are mixed so differently than the dialogue, sound effects, and non-hit music. The musical numbers sound like you're playing the songs on your stereo at a louder volume with the movie muted, while the rest of the movie is equalized...like a movie.

If you set your volume to the beginning of the movie and have it relatively loud, you are in for a shock when the main title song hits.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-16-2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to own a full length version of GREASE on Super 8. The sound was mag Mono and the picture was panned and scanned but I was very happy to have it because I love the movie. The 8mm picture quality was not the best but was blown away when I saw the difference between it and the DVD. I was even more impressed when I got the Blu-Ray. Got to look at it again because I did not notice the changes made with the Coke sign in the background in the dinner scene.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: