Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DTS master audio is now the standard? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS master audio is now the standard?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-09-2010 01:31 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's up with this?

Almost every new Bluray being release is coming with only DTS Master Audio and no english DD version. The older titles and tvs shows have DD.

So if you want to watch the movie, you must watch it in DTS. This really sucks!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2010 04:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why? Good luck finding a receiver that has Dolby TrueHD that DOESN'T also have DTS HD Master Audio. Also, good luck finding a low-end receiver that doesn't feature both Dolby Digital and DTS. It certainly isn't like Dolby TrueHD sounds any better.

Time for you to upgrade.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-09-2010 07:29 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
no english DD version
Tom -- you're in Canada -- just watch the French version! [Razz]

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-09-2010 11:59 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Why? Good luck finding a receiver that has Dolby TrueHD that DOESN'T also have DTS HD Master Audio. Also, good luck finding a low-end receiver that doesn't feature both Dolby Digital and DTS. It certainly isn't like Dolby TrueHD sounds any better.

Time for you to upgrade.

With all the space on a bluray there should be no reason why we can't have both sound formats. We should get to choose which one we want to watch.

Avatar for instance has Master Audio and Dolby Digital 5.1

quote:
Tom -- you're in Canada -- just watch the French version! [Razz]
Yeah real funny! lol..

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 12:54 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are both lossless codecs, so unless something has gone wrong with the decoding the end result should be identical with either codec. I believe that Blu Ray producers prefer DTS these days because it is backward compatible: a single bitstream will provide a lossless track for folks with relatively current home theaters with DTS-HD capability, and a "core" DTS track for anyone with legacy equipment with DTS decoding. With Dolby TrueHD you still are forced to include an AC3 track.

Full disclosure though, since DTS sold off the cinema business (I work for Datasat on the cinema side) I'm not as current on happenings on the consumer codecs as I once was.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2010 06:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
With all the space on a bluray there should be no reason why we can't have both sound formats.
There's no reason for including DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD versions of the same audio track on a Blu-ray disc other than pleasing fanboys of either format. Both formats are lossless and deliver the same level of audio quality. Both have provisions for backward compatibility with older home theater equipment.

FWIW, a few Blu-ray discs do have DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD versions of the primary track. Close Encounters of the Third Kind is one example. The bass levels on the DTS track are substantially louder.

All Blu-ray players have requirements to support built-in decoding of DTS and Dolby Digital audio formats as well as offer basic audio output. That's in addition to the usual digital output options via optical or coaxial connections and HDMI. No one is going to be stuck with silence using a Blu-ray player and discs featuring only DTS-encoded audio tracks.

On top of that most standalone Blu-ray players, as well as the Playstation 3, can be connected to old standard definition TV sets. They have video outputs available and can be set to output 480p.

DTS has seemingly overtaken Dolby lately on the Blu-ray front for a number of reasons. Some people suggest DTS' licensing fees are less costly than Dolby's, although I don't know if that's really true. Judging by activity on forums like Blu-ray.com DTS seems to enjoy a more vocal fan following than Dolby. DTS has always marketed itself as a higher quality alternative to Dolby's audio compression formats on 35mm film prints, Laserdiscs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs. DTS was also used on music CDs and 70mm film prints. Although DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete wasn't used on very many DVDs its existence made a positive impact for DTS' public image.

I think DTS helped at least a little bit in tilting the balance in favor of Blu-ray in the format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Most of the movies on HD-DVD were limited to audio encoded in the lossy Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats. That includes most of the HD-DVD titles from Universal Studios, one of the backers of DTS. Lossy DTS was used on some HD-DVDs. Not many featured DTS-HD Master Audio. Many more movies on Blu-ray featured DTS-HD Master Audio tracks, as well as Dolby TrueHD and uncompressed Linear PCM due to the higher capacity.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 06:50 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK neither DTS nor Dolby charges a licensing fee to content producers for authoring DVD or Blu Ray discs. They sell the encoding software to anyone who wants it, and then make the bulk of their revenue licensing the decoding technology to the consumer electronics manufacturers.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2010 10:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel is exactly right. You buy something that encodes Dolby AC3 (or whatever) you can use it on whatever you like and sell it without worrying about Dolby or DTS suing you. I own Compressor for Dolby Digital and SurCode for DTS.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2010 10:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. But are licensing fees involved if you want to use the appropriate sound format logos from DTS and/or Dolby on the product packaging and in the disc's audio menus?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are allowed to use the logo on the packaging. I recall reading that somewhere.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2010 11:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe any one here is even using a receiver these days... That is so 1970's! These days many high end manufacturers make preamps with all that gobbledegoop in them. Guys... get with it!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2010 11:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pre-amp and separate power amps is a pretty 1970s thing too. It reminds me of the Pioneer "Spec 1" and "Spec 2" separate pre-amp and power amp my father bought over 30 years ago when we were stationed in Japan. My mother was pretty pissed about it because those things were fairly expensive.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2010 01:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were going to go the separates route, I'd get cinema sound equipment (at least the amps). At least I'd know I wouldn't be getting raped on the price like you do with high-end home gear.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-10-2010 06:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...actually "separates" is more of a '60s notion. Receivers came in to prominence in the '70s. With "integrated amps" (preamp/amp but no tuner) also coming in the '70s/'80s. You could always get separates (I did) in those decades but it was often the "high-end" that allowed you to do that. I tended to spend more on the preamp that had my features...then chose the amplifiers that fit what I needed and save a bit on the Tuner (it just a radio for cripes sake!).

As for reproducing current video crap. Very few make A/V preamps, actually. They all have A/V receivers. Onkyo is a notable exception that has a Prosumer preamp that has both RCA and XLR outputs to work in either environment.

To be honest...I really want separates there too! More and more, all one needs is an HDMI/DVI switcher and then a suitable audio decoder. The problem is getting a cost effective separate solution as compared to an A/V Receiver/Preamp.

One thing the Gefen Pro 2 box does is strip the audio out for you though I don't think it does the wiz-bang audios (True HD or Master)

Steve

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-10-2010 08:45 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DMA8+ doesn't decode DTS anything (of course), so what happens if someone ends up showing one of these disks in a cinema (with proper licensing, etc.)? Presumably, the user either needs a player with built-in DTS decoding or is stuck with the L/R analog outputs, correct?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: