Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Non action/sci/sfx films with excellent 5.1 sound mixes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Non action/sci/sfx films with excellent 5.1 sound mixes
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-08-2010 04:08 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching "Any Which Way You Can" the other day on DVD with a 5.1 mix. What an amazing mix. The channel seperation was outstanding. Lots and lots of use of the rear surrounds and the front seperation was very good.

Cars starting off in the rear surrounds and then making their way to the front.

The scene with Clyde throwing around the door panels just shows of the surrounds.

Not much use of the subwoofer but just hearing the surrounds so much for a movie that is a comedy was nice.

Out of all movies, I never would of thought a film made in 1980 with DVD 5.1 remix would perform so well on a 5.1 system.

Anyone else have any others that come to mind?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-08-2010 10:32 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lt/Rt of "Pure Country" is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to hearing the DVD 5.1 remix. I ordered it from Amazon on Friday and I think it arrives tomorrow.

It gets loud at times I love the opening reel because it shows off dynamic range -- starting small and gradually becoming HUGE -- impressive since this wasn't originally a digital 5.1 mix (original release was SR). If your room acoustics and tuning are good, you should have no problem cranking the volume. If it takes on a piercing quality at reference level, then you've got problems.

Listen for dialogue intelligibility, especially in the first concert scene -- man goes up to Lesley Ann Warren and talks to her in the audience -- it should be very easy to understand even though the "live" music is still pretty loud.

I also remember liking the sound of "Thelma and Louise" overall but it's been a while. Maybe I'll watch it again this eve and collect my thoughts.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Incorrect Manny, I played this movie in SRD. That first reel was spectacular.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-08-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Any Which Way You Can one of those Chace Audio conversions from the original mono or Dolby Stereo? They do some pretty amazing work on restoring old soundtracks to make them sound more modern.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-08-2010 12:18 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Is Any Which Way You Can one of those Chace Audio conversions from the original mono or Dolby Stereo? They do some pretty amazing work on restoring old soundtracks to make them sound more modern.

I can't imagine that is didn't have a Dolby Stereo track. Both Every Which way But Loose and Any Which Way you Can were huge hits. The first would of had the success to warrant a stereo track in the budget.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-08-2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Every Which Way But Loose" & "Any Which Way You Can" were both mono releases when they can out in 1978 and 1980. Imdb has "Any Which Way... listed wrong as a Stereo.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-08-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
"Every Which Way But Loose" & "Any Which Way You Can" were both mono releases when they can out in 1978 and 1980. Imdb has "Any Which Way... listed wrong as a Stereo.
I find this response very hard to believe. A movie with Clint Eastwood at the time (the biggest star in the world) and Warner Bros Pictures producing the picture then releasing a movie in mono. No way!

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-08-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print of PURE COUNTRY was SR only. There must've been dual inventory.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-08-2010 04:20 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the time 1978 the film was a surprize hit to Warner, the budget was not a large one. At one point it was offered to Burt Reynolds who gave it to Clint. A few excutives in the glass building just off the lot said it was un-releasable. They were wrong, it performed well along side of "Superman". The release prints were 35mm mono sound on both pictures.

It may be hard to believe.

The dvd's are studio re-mixes.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mono sound on comedy movies was very common through the late 1970s and well into the 1980s. It didn't matter who was making the movie nor whether the movie was expected to be a hit. Imagine this: Tootsie had Dustin Hoffman and Teri Garr in Oscar-nominated roles. Jessica Lange won an Oscar. It had a big, hit, Oscar-nominated song performed by Stephen Bishop. The Oscar-nominated cinematography was 'Scope. But the Oscar-nominated sound was absolutely monophonic (although it's probably been remixed for DVD by now).

So why wasn't it in stereo? Probably because almost nobody used stereo sound for non-action comedy movies at that time.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-08-2010 06:40 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I'm told the original theatrical release of TERMINATOR was mono -- because the special effects gobbled up all the budget...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-08-2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even action action films such as the first CONAN movie as well as it's two sequels was in mono as well as DIRTY HARRY and many action films, Stereo sound movies was pretty much of a rarity except for 70mm films during that time.

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-08-2010 10:48 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else know of any movies that are more dialogue or comedy driven movie that use the 5.1 seperation well?

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-09-2010 07:36 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tough one because, as a rule, dialogue is placed in the center channel - that's what it's there for. When I was learning sound design and mixing, we were totally discouraged from placing dialog elsewhere.

My guess is it'll be hard to find very many "dialog-driven" movies with fanciful use of 5.1 channels. I know there are exceptions but I'm blanking right now. Two movies come to mind right away (voices in surrounds) -- One is SCREAMERS and the other one, I can't remember the name -- they're both sci-fi anyway...

As I recall, AMADEUS makes good use of stereo.

I'm curious what you want them for..? It might help when it comes to making recommendations.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 11:48 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> Any Which Way...

Mono.

The original release posters have no reference to Dolby for either film. Stereo was the exception, not the norm, back then.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: