Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Pioneer Elite > to new reciever question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pioneer Elite > to new reciever question
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-07-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running a Pioneer Elite THX reciever made in 1998. I am using a laserdisc player and the Dolby AC-3 RF out which goes into the reciever for Dolby Digital. The reciever has 6 channel outputs which can go to an amp.

I want to upgrade my system to include DTS and master audio because i am now into blu rays.

Here is my question.

Can I connect my laserdisc player rf out to my existing Elite machine. Then connect my Elite machine via channel out to a new reciever with 6-channel in.

Will I be able to use my reciever as a demodulator this way so I can get Dolby Digital from my laserdiscs?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-07-2010 01:18 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Can I connect my laserdisc player rf out to my existing Elite machine. Then connect my Elite machine via channel out to a new reciever with 6-channel in.
I'm confused -- how many Elite machines are in this system? This sounds like you have 2 laserdisc machines. And I've never heard of AC3 delivered via RF.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-07-2010 01:20 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all new recievers do not carry an RF demodulator.

So,

My laserdisc rf out > to my old Elite reciever > to a new reciever (which would carry DTS) etc.

make sense? I want the old Elite machine to act as a demodulator only.

quote: Manny Knowles
And I've never heard of AC3 delivered via RF.

Pre-DVD days. Dolby Digital was only available via RF out on a laserdisc machine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2010 02:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are RF converters out there...check eBay. I know I have one for my LDs though the the current receiver I have already takes RF in...I know all future ones will not.

Steve

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-07-2010 02:42 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
There are RF converters out there...check eBay. I know I have one for my LDs though the the current receiver I have already takes RF in...I know all future ones will not.

Steve

Thats not what I want. I can't afford both a RF demodulator and a new reciever that can handle Master audi DTS with HDMi.

I am hoping to use the pre-outs from one, and multi-channel from the new reciever. This way the old reciever acts as a demodulator or pass through if you know what I mean

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-07-2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I see.

Would your decoded AC3 leave your old Elite machine as an analog signal?

Would the volume control on your Elite affect the signal going to your new receiver, or is the output pre-fader?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-2010 10:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right, you'll need a standalone RF demodulator. But be warned, it will not be Elite and it will probably not be cheap. It would be much better than running two receivers, especially when both are doing the pre-amp function.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-07-2010 07:53 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
It would be much better than running two receivers, especially when both are doing the pre-amp function.
So can it be done?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-2010 07:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you want to be truly ghetto.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-07-2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Only if you want to be truly ghetto.
LOL. Its not about being ghetto. Its about saving money and still having AC3 from my LDS. It would be a bitch to change the speaker connection everytime I wanted to watch a Dolby Digital LD.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple question, simple answer: yes.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

I've gotten around the problem by using an old Sony AC3 preamp/processor that has the AC3-RF connection. I connect my AC3-RF out from the LaserDisc player to the old Sony processor, and then connect the optical out of that processor to my modern Onkyo receiver. It works like a charm. I still have to run a separate digital coax from the LaserDisc player for DTS and PCM though. Luckily, the Sony pre/pro can also handle passthrough for those signals.

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-08-2010 04:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing it the way Aaron did it is really the only way to ensure you'll get the proper sound levels (other than getting a job and buying an RF Demodulator). If you are using the analog outputs on the first receiver and if they are controlled by that receiver's fader you will need to set all levels/tone/EQ/etc flat and then adjust the fader so each output reads the standard 300mv while playing a 1 khz tone (31.5 Hz for subwoofer). If one or more channels does not match, you must change it internally in the first receiver. Once everything is set, never EVER touch the volume on the first receiver again. Just turn it on and off. Set your levels and adjust volume with the second receiver. If you do not do this, the levels from your Dolby Digital LaserDiscs will likely be completely wonky.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-20-2010 12:21 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your help. This why this forum is so great. I appreciate it.

I did it. I could not resist. I purchased a Yamaha machine with 6 channel in. I can now play every audio format from Laserdisc/DVD/Blu ray except Dolby Digital EX from laserdisc.

I could not afford a THX machine so I had to go without THX this time. I let my Elite THX machine handle all laserdisc PCM/DTS/Dolby Digital decoding while the new machine takes care of DvD/Bluray.

I couldn't be happier.

I have not yet upgraded to 7 channel as I don't have the speaker mounts yet. I will be doing that soon.

Thanks again everyone.
Tom.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbor just put a Pioneer receiver out by the dumpster which has an AC3 RF input on it but has no outputs. I'm wondering if there's any way to remove the demodulation equipment inside and use it with my newer receiver? I hate to see it go to the landfill but I'm not going to pick it up unless I can do that with it. I have a Kenwood demodulator already but if that ever dies I'll be screwed. It was such a stupid design to not just put a normal digital output on laserdisc players for the AC3 signal instead of making it be demodulated outside the player.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: