Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blu-Ray exterior packaging

Author Topic: Blu-Ray exterior packaging
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-02-2010 03:46 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very impressed with the ALIEN ANTHOLOGY box set on Blu-Ray last week and BD of THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI that came out today. The Target SOUND OF MUSIC Blu-Ray in the digi pac is gorgeous but the way the two BDs and the DVD come in the set is TERRIBLE because the discs will easily slide out of the case if you are not careful.THE PACIFIC packaging is identical to THE BAND OF BROTHERS on the exterior with it's metal case but is slightly thinner and the enclosed six discs in the Pacific set come in a removable digi pac disc holder. THE BAND OF BROTHERS was glued. WHITE CHRISTMAS came only with a slip cover in a standard BD case. I probable will spend some time late tonight going over the discs after I watch the election returns and I know I will be very pleased with them once I start watching them from tomorrow night.

-Claaude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-02-2010 05:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just buy some Blu-ray cases at your local Best Buy or order them online from Sleeve City (they have double and triple cases as well), scan in the box set artwork at 100,000dpi (if you don't have that many dpis, then 300 will do since all box artwork is dot-matrix anyway), take it into Photoshop and resize it so it is the size of the proper case insert. Print it out on your color Laser Printer at 100,000 dpi onto plain paper (but again, you can do 300dpi if you want). Then use a 60-cent pair of scissors to cut it out and insert it into the empty case. Transfer the discs into the blue case. Now everything is perfectly safe and looks fantastic. That's what I did with the new Back to the Future Trilogy. I simply would not allow the box that it came in to exist in my collection. It was 100% unacceptable.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it so amazing that with all the technology used in creating these amazing audio and video, the manufacturers are completely unable to come up with a packaging system that works and that people like.

My other current frustration is that news channels are now showing pictures on their "on set monitors" that are STRETCHED. I set my TV to the proper aspect ratio but then the stupid news channel is showing a picture on a monitor (which is sitting on the anchorperson's desk or something) that is set incorrectly. ARRRGH.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-05-2010 05:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I was tempted to get the deluxe box set of the SOUND OF MUSIC because of the soundtrack CD but changed my mind when I discovered I had the ultimate sound track recording of the movie plus a lot of literature from the film when I purchased the deluxe laserdisc box set that included a CD that had a total of twenty eight tracks not counting the 20th Century Fox fanfare including the CinemaScope extension ( The actual movie showed the fox logo with no sound and was in Todd A-O). The CD that is included with the current box set of TSOM has about fourteen tracks and I believe it is the same as the recording that has been commercially available for years. When I purchased the deluxe set of GONE WITH THE WIND, it came with a lot of extra stuff on the discs itself compared to the general release version and the set itself came in a nice sturdy box and it was beautiful. This is not so with the current box set of TSOM set at Costco when I saw it the other day, I noticed the box was huge, cheap looking and not attractive. For all of that, Costco was charging thirty five dollars more than the standard edition. Despite the way the discs are stored on the digipack I got from Target , I am more than happy with it.

-Claude.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-06-2010 01:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the standard edition (3 disk) BLu-Ray set of TSOM and the package is fine, just a standard BR case with a clip-in insert for the extra 2 disks. Target must be cheaping-out on their package.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2010 03:25 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at first confused by the Back To The Future Blu-Ray disc holding/release method but once i figured it out i thought it was very clever.
I worry that many people will snap the discs in half before they figure it out,they should have some pointing arrows to give it half a chance.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-06-2010 07:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I still have no regret buying the Target exclusive Blu-Ray of THE SOUND OF MUSIC because I love the packaging. One thing for sure, there is nothing cheap about about it because the case with the book is very sturdy. THe only thing wrong was the part holding the discs because it was very poorly designed. There is really no problem as long as I am aware of the problem and exercise caution whenever I handle the package.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: