Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Three Stooges in HD

Author Topic: Three Stooges in HD
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 09:10 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears IFC has HD transfers of the Three Stooges. They are having a little marathon till 2PM today (Saturday). I refrained from buying the full set on sail at Amazon a couple of months ago because I am waiting for a blu-ray release.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 11:17 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked it out. Although on IFC-HD, These do not appear to be HD transfers, but rather upconverted SD transfers. It becomes rather obvious when projecting HD onto a 10' screen. Many of the so-called HD cable channels are not running from true HD sources. TCM-HD, after being on the air for over a year, is just now starting to occasionally run actual HD.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-23-2010 03:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorta like "reprocessed for stereo" isn't it. Great way to kill a good idea. (like 3D). Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-23-2010 05:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even on 35mm, these films aren't exactly the paragon of technical quality. They were cheaply made from the start. I'm not sure how much they would gain from being shown in HD, unless someone took the questionable step of cleaning up flaws that existed in the originals.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 06:32 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheaply made, yes, but I have seen a number of early 1950's 35mm printings, and the picture quality was excellent. Unfortunately, most of the Stooges shorts were re-printed in the 1970's, and the quality is all over the place on those.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-23-2010 07:32 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe we have ever seen transfers direct from the OCN's.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 11:14 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the IFC copies of these shorts are the same ones that AMC is using. There are alot of fade-outs that are not in the original shorts... for commercials, that IFC is not using.

Watching these films on AMC is painful.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-25-2010 04:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching ANYTHING on AMC is painful!

[puke]

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2010 02:39 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony transferred all the recent re-masterings in HD, which is standard for the majors. I don't know why they're distributing up-conversions of old masters unless they feel that distributing the HD files might compromise a future BD set (which has been rumored).

And Mitchell is quite correct. While the Stooges weren't exactly "A-Unit" material, the technicians that shot those films knew just what they were doing, as evidenced by the excellent standard-def down-converts of the shorts on DVD. Some of the gray tones achieved in those original prints are incredible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: