Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The new HAWAII 5-0 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The new HAWAII 5-0
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pilot for HAWAII 5=0 will make it's debut tomorrow night on CBS and I cannot wait to see it. For six years, the just concluded LOST has been the "Cash Cow" for Hawaii as far as jobs and tax revenues was concerned and I hope the new WAWAII 5-0 will be just as successful as LOST and the original series starring Jack Lord. A lot of people who saw the advance screening of the show last week in Waikiki at the Sunset at The Beach screening liked it very much and I hope I will too.

Like LOST, HAWAII 5-0 will be photographed in it's entirety in Hawaii using Hawaii's only motion picture sound stage near Diamond Head in Honolulu and at locations all over the island of Oahu. LOST was photographed entirely on Oahu but I am not sure if Oahu's other neighboring islands will be used but that is a possibility. The only problem shooting on the neighbor islands is the cost of transporting a lot of equipment to photograph there.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 03:10 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Hawaii 5-0 last night, and I thought it was pretty good, as TV shows go. I just barely remember the original series, so I can't comment on how it compares.

When Scott Caan has the guy in plastic-cuffs, and he's squirming on the ground, and Caan says "where are you going to go?" -- that kind of humor will keep me coming back. That, and the fact that Danno has a new 5.0 Mustang to drive around in... [Smile]

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 07:31 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I thought it was horrible. But I think that's probably because I am a big fan of the original. They changed waaaay too much of the 5-0 "universe" for me. I had a similar problem with "L.A. Dragnet", though I thought Ed O'Neil did a good job as Friday. Can't say the same for Alex O'Loughlin as McGarret.

Oh, well. At least I know I won't be adding 42 minutes of TV viewing every week.

-David

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2010 01:33 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the writers for the new Hawaii Five-0 also worked on the reboot of Star Trek and on Mission: Impossible 3. I see common weaknesses among all of these projects. I mean, why bother coming up with an elaborate origin of the phrase "Book 'em, Dano"? Why do we need a character who will always have "issues" because of what happened to his father?

Like their previous projects, this is only like the original because it has the same names in it. Fans of the original need to understand that they shouldn't expect anything else to be very much like the original. It's like an unwritten agreement when it comes to these writers. So if people can live with that, it might be a hit.

I didn't care for the star's voice sounding so much like Nicolas Cage's voice and delivery.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-22-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too had difficulty getting adjusted to the new HAWAII FIVE-O but once I had resigned myself that this is entirely new show with the characters having the same names as the original series with a different look, dress and personality, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and already looking forward to the next episode next Monday night. I generally do not watch television shows on the air because I prefer to watch them on Blu-Ray and DVD because of the superior picture and sound quality with all of the commercials edited out. Once I feel the show is a hit and a first season BD or DVD will become available, I will stop watching and wait for the discs.

Hawaii FIVE-O received the highest rating for a new show up until Monday night and everyone I had talked to both here in Hawaii and on the mainland who had seen the show all love it. The show has the same quality and look as LOST and appears like it will be a big hit.

-Claude

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2010 06:44 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

THose are good points re: the writers. As you note, that should have been a big tip-off. And it was for me, though I hoped against getting what we got.

The only reason to keep the show and character names is to cash in on the public awareness of the original show. They could just as easily have called it "NCIS Hawaii" and no one would be the wiser.

-David

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-22-2010 06:58 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

There were three shows debuting on television just about the same time as LOST six years ago that were produced in Hawaii. One was a comedy set at a Hawaiian resort on the north shore of Oahu and the other one was a action Honolulu police series just like the original and new HAWAII FIVE-0. Except for LOST which survived and ran for six seasons, the other two were cancelled in mid season and forgotten. The cancelled police series were very good and I enjoyed them very much but for some reason, a lot of people were comparing it to original Hawaii 5-0 and wish it was. They now got their wish and hope they hang around this time and make the show a hit.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2010 08:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I never saw the original Hawaii 5-O. It must have been on when I was working or on a weekend when I would be out "partying" or whatever. This new show looks pretty good from what I've seen though.....but I'm still probably not going to see it! [Smile]

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the first remake of Hawaii Five-0.

Benny Five-O

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind the new version, but I definately prefer the original. I thought all of the main characters were a little young for the series...but thats my only complaint.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 04:00 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching it, and I rather liked it. The new McGarrett doesn't have that "cool" that Jack Lord projected.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the hair....the new guy doesn't have the hair!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, that could be it...

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2010 12:05 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rather enjoyed the Pilot as well, really enjoyed Scott Cann. He had great delivery. Like already mentioned, the line about where your going to the guy that was shot was great.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 10:20 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now the real test: Who watched episode number 2? I did, just to see if the show felt less clunky after having already told the "origin story." It's okay but I think I prefer Burn Notice, which is currently on hiatus.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: