Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Firmware update

Author Topic: Firmware update
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-09-2010 04:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a DMP BD35AK Panasonic Blu-Ray player last year in April and as of now almost a year and a half later, I have not done any firmware update because I never had a problem playing any discs new or old except recently when I started to get a message on my screen that said "Copyright Violation". After ejecting the disc and trying again, the disc played fine. This has been happening with several discs lately so as a precaution I called Panasonic and they will be sending me a firmware update disc right away. My brother has a Sony BD player and in order to play new discs, he already had to update his player with the latest firmware three times already. Are Panasonic Blu Ray players that good or am I just lucky not to have any problems playing any discs without a firmware update except for the recent C.V. message? How many times did you have to update your player with the latest firmware after purchasing your machine?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 07:03 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sony Blu-Ray player I bought two years ago, and have not bothered to upgrade because I have never run into a problem.

Personally,I am not a big Painasonic fan (yes, I know how I spelled it).

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 12:53 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an LG BH200.... it's a few years old now. I've been updating like mad. I've had problems with a handful of blu-rays and HD DVD's with it. Something really annoying is that I've had issues with some discs AFTER an update that resolved issues with others. The latest update also caused a boot problem, I sometimes need to power down and start up again before it will allow me to eject the tray.

Anyways, all these headaches have taught me to type in the movie title along with my player name into google before getting too angry.... With the movie "Up" I learned I had to take menu language off of "default" and switch it to "english" for the disc menus... "Wolverine" I had to remove the USB thumb drive and unplug its internet connection.........

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-13-2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a slew of Panasonic blu-rays in the field. Haven't had one single problem yet and never ran a firmware upgrade.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 03:53 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a Panasonic, but i can tell you, i had to update my firmware once after getting Inglorious Basterds.

Its been fine with everything since.

I'll also add that i got my player as a combo pack on black friday (profile 1.1)
Not sure why newer players with 2.0 would need updates.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-22-2010 12:06 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
recently when I started to get a message on my screen that said "Copyright Violation".
Claude, that's not a firmware issue, that's just the player channeling Jack Valenti who's reminding you that he may be gone, but he's not forgotten.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-22-2010 12:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is funny, Frank [Smile]

-Claude

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Panasonic DMP-BD10a and have had to do several firmware updates. This is an older profile 1.0 player and has issues with some newer discs. For the most part the updated firmware corrected all the issues, though even with the latest I still can't play the second season of Star Trek.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2010 03:49 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarret Chessell
I have an LG BH200.... it's a few years old now. I've been updating like mad. I've had problems with a handful of blu-rays and HD DVD's with it.
Jarret - I have the same unit and also have been keeping up with the firmware updates. I needed the most recent one before "Armageddon" would play on mine.

I have a question for you since you seem adept at finding solutions. When I play a title with multiple angles I seem to have no option to turn off the angle indicator on the top right of the screen. Therefore when playing something like Star Trek Original Series I get the icon every time a special effects shot comes on during the show. Have you found a workaround for that? Note: I haven't tried since the latest firmware update. Thanks.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,
I've never played with that feature. I don't have anything popping up on my screen to let me know about the different angles either. Is it just the TOS HD DVD's doing it? Is it a common feature?
If you have women or small children around, they sometimes find these magical buttons. Worse case scenario you can restore the player to factory and reinstall the firmware and software updates off of a thumb drive (you have to use the USB stick, as the original firmware didn't have the network port working yet).

Also, LG is no longer supporting this player (I paid $400 for mine!). No more new updates! I'm thinking of just using this unit for HD DVD playback only and buying a nice nice better solo blu-ray disc player.

If you do download the updates make sure you do get both the firmware and software updates, they are different.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jarret. Thanks for the response.

No, these are the new blu-ray TOS discs. Whenever there are multiple angles (the sfx which have been "updated") the angle icon pops up...and there's apparently no option to stop that from happening. It's my only complaint about the player.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: