Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Undecided about LOST Season 6

Author Topic: Undecided about LOST Season 6
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 01:24 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought season one to four on DVD and season five on Blu-Ray and have watched everything up to season four but midway through season five i really got "Lost" and stopped watching. I have heard only good things about season six andI read there is a segment in the season six set of discs that covers everything from season one through five for people who have not watched the entire show or got "Lost" like me to be able to understand and enjoy the final season. For those of you who had watched all of season six on network TV, is it just as confusing as the previous season or does it become easier to understand what is going on?. I had invested a lot of time watching the show and money buying the discs and would really like to know what happens to everyone at the end.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 03:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I bailed out on these guys around season 3. If a film makes you work hard and requires you to apply yourself intellectually, then there had better be a payoff at the end. I wasn't getting much satisfaction with this thing and I soon got the feeling that it was obtuse and inaccessible for its own sake. In other words, that was their hook -- they wanted the talk at the water cooler to be "Did you understand what was going on in LOST last night. I couldn't figure out what was going on?" Exactly, and the reason is that you didn't because you couldn't -- the clues all led, not in a direction that would eventually return back to what you had already been revealed, but in circles to nowhere.

I don't consider myself a slouch when it comes to running with whatever a director will throw at me, no matter how difficult -- hell, I've even stuck with Resnais' mental callisthenics with LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD and the equally difficult and bizarre HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR, both nearly indecipherable, but in the end, I was satisfied that my time was well spent. LOST won't deliver the same satisfaction.

From what I hear -- and I admit, this is only hearsay -- but from people who I respect in terms of their taste in movies, and they said after all these meandering storyline paths that had been thrown out during the course of the series, there is no real payoff -- it's the movie equivalent of coitus interuptus.

Thing is, you've invested so much in this that if it were me, I would probably go for it anyway -- who knows, you might find somthing in it that works for you that others may not.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2010 06:09 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess that the vast majority of Lost fans were disappointed in Season Six and the end of the show. It was very clear to me, at least, that the writers had pretty much been making the whole show up as they went along, and then in the final season scrambled to come up with a way to wrap it up without causing too much fan outrage. They failed, as far as I’m concerned. Does it become easier to understand as it goes along? Not really, because a great deal changes after the event that takes place in the last few seconds of Season Five. Entire sub-plots that ran the whole length of the show were discarded (for instance, the whole Dharma Initiative thing seems to have been meaningless in the grand scheme of things, and the “magic numbers” would up not meaning much of anything either), un-important characters were disposed of quickly, and an entirely brand new rational for the characters to be on the island was introduced. Plus, there was a lot of padding of the individual character’s story lines that had to be waded through to get to the final episode. Bad writing all around and a piss-poor way to end the show, IMHO.

Still, it wasn’t horrible to watch, and if you have this much time invested in the characters you could probably see it through to the end without becoming too bored. I understand that the DVD set of Season 6 contains significant extra material that adds further explanation to the ending. Just don’t expect a pay-off on everything that went before.

Interesting that Frank brings up one of my favorite films, Last Year at Marienbad, because (depending on your interpation, of course) it covers a lot of the same thematic ground as the last few episodes of Lost.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 07:56 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with the creators making things up as they went along. They clearly had a plan from the start as is evidenced by things paying off two or three seasons later. Yes, season 3 was disappointing - partially because the writers were too busy bellyaching about something instead of working.

I have to admit that as a die hard fan, season six's finale did kind of make me say, "huh?" But after reading about it, and thinking about it, everything started to make sense, and it grew on me. I can now say that I enjoyed season six. I don't feel cheated in any way with the ending. After all the whole show was about making the viewers say, "huh?" so why should the ending be any different? I don't mind intellectual shows that go to the level that this one did. I enjoy having to think about things and figure them out, and this show has been great making me do that from day one. Other people may have different thresholds on what is "too much required thinking".

So no, Claude I don't think you'll find season six to be a waste of money in the end. No, everything is NOT tied up in a nice neat little bow at the end. I don't at all feel cheated with the numbers, or with Dharma.

As far as the acting goes, Terry O'Quinn is phenomenal. He has to basically play different roles - or versions - of Locke. And his acting is brilliant. The others are all on top of their game too. Some of the episodes are tear jerkers. Some episodes will leave you with nothing to say but "wow".

Can you tell I liked it?

I'll be buying it. Now that I have seen the end I want to go back and watch it all again to pick up on things that I might have missed.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 09:29 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon shipped my Blu-ray boxed set yesterday, is supposed to arrive today. In fact they shipped 2 sets, some kind of back-order mixup.

Season 6 did not end the way I might have wanted, but it still works. There were a couple of theatrical-quality episodes along the way too (Ab Aeterno being one).

Some questions were answered; many were not. It's like they crammed so much tantalizing stuff into individual shows that they could not stop and address it all satisfactorily later. It's like the individual parts are greater than the entire sum.

Whatever, it's still awesome TV and I look forward to watching the whole thing from the beginning.

BTW, Best Buy is claiming their boxed sets of Season 6 and the complete series come with an extra 20 minutes of something or other not found on other versions.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will head out to Best Buy to purchase a Blu-Ray copy this afternoon and start watching LOST again this evening. Since I gave up on the show and stopped watching during the middle of season five, do you suggest I force myself to watch the remainder of that season and than watch the final season? As I had mentioned in my opening thread, there is a synopsis from season one to five on the season six set and I was thinking I could watch that first and dive immediately into season six. I prefer doing that but will watch what I had missed if you all recommend I do that.

It is rather difficult to realize all of LOST was photographed right here on the island of Oahu and I have never seen any of it being photograhed. I once saw crews working on the original HAWAII 5-O , MAGNUM P.I. but never LOST. The only thing I saw anything pertaining to the show was the plane wreckage on the beach past Haleiwa and Waialua on the north shore of the island. ABC spent millions filming the entire show in Hawaii and it was a big help to the economy of my state. The opening season of the new HAWAII 5-0 is now being filmed and the first show is scheduled to air on CBS in a few weeks and everyone in Hawaii is hoping it will be a big hit just like the original HAWAII 5-0l, MAGNUM P.I. and LOST was. The first 5-O episode will be shown at the very popular Sunset at the Beach movie showing at Waikiki Beach the weekend before the premiere just like the opening episodes of every season of LOST. All of the stars will be there but the whole thing is like a zoo so I will stay home and watch it in the comfort of my home.

-Claude

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 06:09 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd stick it out for the rest of season 5, but that's just me. I guess you could skip it and be ok, but it ends with quite the cliff hanger!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-24-2010 07:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up season six of LOST from Best Buy and I guess I was not paying too much attention to their Sunday ad except the price because it came with a bonus DVD that is exclusive to Best Buy. There are a lot of very interesting stuff on the disc on the production of LOST, Interviews and a dual at the temple between Sayid ( Naveen Andrews ) and Dogen ( Hiroyuki Sanada ) . I think I will watchthat disc tonight along with the first episode in the middle of season five I have not yet watched.

-Claude

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2010 06:16 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that countdown clock still on the Blu-Ray? [Wink]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-25-2010 06:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind feel sorry for all of you had not bought your Blu-Ray copy of LOST season six from Best Buy because in my humble opinion, the bonus DVD that came with the set was fantastic. There are a lot of behind the scenes production features on the disc and the one at the very beginning features all of the major cast members express their thoughts about spending the past six years in Hawaii working on LOST. The thing I like the most about this segment was the many spectacular views of the island of Oahu shot from the air. I always knew my home island was beautiful but never like the way it was captured by the LOST film crew. This first segment is very lengthy and I only had time to watch it last night. I honestly feel, this bonus disc make getting the Blu Ray of season six of LOST from Best Buy a wonderful bargain. This is the first time I had been impressed with a store exclusive promotional DVD or BD that came with a movie or TV box set from what I had seen last night,

-Claude

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-25-2010 08:04 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know, Claude - I'll keep that in mind when I go to buy it! [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: