Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » A STAR IS BORN (1954) Blu-Ray

Author Topic: A STAR IS BORN (1954) Blu-Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-28-2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the opportunity to see the 1954 version of A STAR IS BORN at my hometown theatre, the Waipahu when it was first released by Warner Brothers. By the time it came to my theatre, it was already edited down from the original 181 minute version to 151 minutes. I was fortunate to see the film in CinemaScope and four track mag and what a show it was and it has been one of my favorite film about Hollywood ever
since.
The movie was originally intended to be a road show presentation with it's over three hor running time but Jack L. Warner, the head of the studio at the time decided to edit down the running time and release it to as many theatres as possible. Almost all of the edited material from the film were destroyed at the time but fortunately, the soundtrack of the film's original t181 minute version was found when the late film historian Ronald Haver restored the film in 1983. Some footage form the original version were also found but about eight minutes of footage could never be recovered. In place of these lost footage, photographs were used to fill in the gap and that was alright.

I am not sure but I think Warner Brothers released the shorter version on home video many years ago and I might have seen it. Shortly after WB released the restored version at a few theatres in larger cities, they also released a special edition of the movie on DVD and I have it in my collection and it is gorgeous. Because it was a film I had always enjoyed when I watched it, I decided to double dip and get the new Blu Ray version too. Although the DVD was great, the BD is much better sepecially with DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 sound.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2010 12:48 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude -

Thanks for the reminder. I moved it to the top of my Netflix cue. I am receiving Dr. Z tomorrow which I have never seen and after that goes back I should get ASIB right away (available now).

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the restored A STAR IS BORN at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta in 1983-84. Having seen, and loved, the 154 minute chopped up version, and having been told about the 3 hour version by someone else for many years, I was looking forward to this chance to see it again.

As soon as the WB shield hit the screen, I was not disappointed. The sound was great, and the picture image was lovely. When the edited scenes hit the screen, the full house crowd went silent, and there was applause when the edited scenes were over. The new production numbers were appreciated by all that saw them that night.

When the film ended, the applause was genuine and lasted all through the credits. I felt like I had seen a different version of a familiar story, and I never wanted to see the 154 minute version again, and I havent.

I've got a copy of the 1983 restoration and it looks great. I saw the latest restoration on Turner Classic Movies, and enjoyed it, but not enough to go out and buy a new copy of the film. It's a good film, and it does have some flaws, including Garland trying to look very young in the beginning. The color on the latest restore is vibrant and sharp. Also, the sound is much cleaner sounding than it was in 1983, and the earlier versions I have seen, including the horribly done pan and scan version for TV. I feel for whoever had to do the pan and scan on this film. There is so much going on in the picture that had to be shown in the little 4X3 image area!

At any rate, I will close this saying that I am really glad to see this film getting attention again. It is well worth a look.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-28-2010 10:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,

When the extended restored version was released on DVD several years ago, I bought it and enjoyed watching it on a standard television screen at the time. I watched the DVD again on my new HD screen soon after I bought the set and was amazed how gorgeous the up converted picture looked when played on my BD player. When the Blu-Ray was announced. I knew I had to get that too and I did. As it turned out, it was a good decision to upgrade because the picture is much sharper and the sound seem to be much fuller. Upgrading A STAR IS BORN to BD made my cousin very happy when I gave her the DVD.

-Claude

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-30-2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the tech setup and standby for the restored version for Ron Haver at the Paramount Oakland back in the early 1980's.

I brought in three Altec A2's for this 3200 seat theatre. There were no surrounds as there was no practical way to hang surrounds for a one time show.

It was still picture and separate soundtrack on dubbers.

The print was gorgeous but the depth of field and image distortion caused by the early scope camera lenses was quite noticeable.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2010 10:19 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite books is the one Ron Haver wrote about the movie, and his restoration of it. Highly recommended for anyone who loves "A Star Is Born." Though I can't imagine anyone loving it more than Mr. Haver did. Sam, did you have much contact with him back in 1980? I was saddened to hear of his passing.

I saw the restored version at the Hershey Theatre back when we'd sit in the third row to feel enveloped in that luscious CinemaScope image. It was sublime! The DVD is wonderful, but somehow that sense of scale is missing...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-30-2010 10:36 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary,

I recall sitting about twenty rows from the screen when I saw A STAR IS BORN at the Waipahu Theatre and I still remember the experience of listening to the directional stereophonic sound and hearing voices and sound coming from the speakers behind the screen and from the right, left and rear surround speakers. The Waipahu's screen was about forty feet wide and the CinemaScope image was bright and colorful. I enjoyed all of this when the movie went into general releasing after it played at the Waikiki (#3) during it's original theatrical engagement in 1954. Although it was 56 years ago, there are many things I had enjoyed during my youth, I cannot forget.

-Claude

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-30-2010 11:20 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was truly Ron Haver's life work and it was a pleasure working with someone so devoted to this project, and then to show it in the Paramount; a true movie palace.

He wrote me a very nice thank you note and a gift of a bracelet and kept in touch for a while. I helped him plan a few other venues after the Paramount. He died not too long after but I don't remember what year. I'll look it up on IMDB.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: