Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » King Kong (1933) BR to include spider pit???

Author Topic: King Kong (1933) BR to include spider pit???
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I read on Amazon that the upcoming BR release of the original (and by far the best) version of King Kong will include "The Lost Spider Pit sequence in its entirety". Anyone aware of such a discovery?

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 11:52 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception of a few production stills, the spider scene is still lost. What is being included is Jackson's re-recreation of the spider scene that was also included on the DVD a few years ago. The digital spiders don't look right.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2010 01:12 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Either the folks over at blu-ray.com are incredibly gullible or the spider pit sequence has been found:

"The Lost Spider Pit Sequence (HD, 6 minutes): Dinosaurs, Kong, rolling logs, several surprisingly gruesome deaths, plus a variety of giant crabs, lizards and spiders... this gem is one of the best unearthed sequences you'll ever find on a home video release."

It will be the first thing I look at tomorrow when I get the disc. Not that I am expecting it to be the real deal but I will have to satisfy my curiousity immediately. Here's a link:

King Kong review

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2010 07:25 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Either the folks over at blu-ray.com are incredibly gullible or the spider pit sequence has been found:
I'm afraid it's the former (with no help from WB). WB's press release also claims that the original 1933 trailer is on the DVD, but I'll believe that when I see it (no doubt it's the 1938 re-issue trailer we've all seen).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-27-2010 08:54 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I bought the deluxe KING KONG set when it was released on DVD about two years ago and I would like to know if there will be some additional stuff on the new Blu-Ray disc that was not on the previous DVD? Since my childhood, I have seen this film many times although it is not one of my favorite films. I am not planning to double dip at get the disc tomorrow but might pick it up it if Costco offers it at a almost give away price like they are have with THE BLADE RUNNER collection and a few other WB special editions. Costco is now offering GONE WITH THE WIND and THE WIZARD OF OZ in their Special edition box for $40.00 and that is not a bad deal.

-Claude

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2010 07:27 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, did you see this passage at the bottom of the review?

The Lost Spider Pit Sequence (HD, 6 minutes): Dinosaurs, Kong, rolling logs, several surprisingly gruesome deaths, plus a variety of giant crabs, lizards and spiders... Peter Jackson and crew pay loving tribute to Kong.

That last part after the "dot dot dot" is very important. It is clearly Jackson's recreation of the sequence, which also appears on the DVD which has been out for a couple of years already. It's fun, but an interpretation based on the surviving materials, and not an artifact in itself.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2010 11:55 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary - Obviously they changed that as the quote on my previous post is copied and pasted directly from their review as it was at the time. Of course none of us are surprised it turned out this way.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2010 04:48 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Joe, I see what you mean. They must have gotten lots of inquiries about that. I wonder if they were confused themselves. Even with the change, it's still a bit unclear for those who are unfamiliar with the re-creation on the DVD.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: