Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » HDMI adaptors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: HDMI adaptors
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2010 05:25 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
need to connect a bluray to LCD projector, projector has inputs ; RGB DVI S-Video 5 BNC component.

to achieve HD i have to use the HDMI out from the player, i tried a HDMI to DVI cable but no signal , in fact I have never been able to get signal via the DVI input on this projector.
So i am curious as to how successful the HDMI to RGB or HDMI to 5xComponent adapters work, has anyone used them successfully ?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-08-2010 09:35 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might have something to do with your blu-ray player being set up to only display to something that supports HDCP, which your projector may not support.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-08-2010 09:40 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are boxes to take care of that I am told. HDMI into the box, functioning DVI out; just think of it as kind of a hot poker up HDCP's smelly arse.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-08-2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also HDFury2...a popular HDMI to analog component or RGB.

Steve

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2010 08:54 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What projector?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-08-2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The situation with HDMI is starting to get further confused with new standards (1.4, 3D, etc.) and connector types. That should make it more fun to connect various devices to digital projectors.

My Canon EOS 5D Mark II has a mini HDMI output jack. I need a recommendation on a good mini HDMI to full size HDMI cable. I bought a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter from Radio Shack that kind of works, it just doesn't plug properly snug into the camera's output jack.

On top of that, the phone I bought from Sprint on Friday has a new micro HDMI connector (for feeding its "720p" videos to a HDTV set). The phone's USB jack is also unusually tiny.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-08-2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Samsung (and he sung it well) with one of those super mini USBs and I kept trying to stick a normal mini jack into it. Then I used the cable that came with the phone -- and yah, damn that's small.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 12:21 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A company called "Black Magic" makes some very nice inexpensive (relatively speaking) converter boxes. I know they have a DVI to HDSDI I would bet they have a HDMI to DVI. I have tried a HDMI to DVI converter cable and never had good luck with them at all.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-09-2010 01:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HDMI to DVI only works if the DVI input is HDCP compliant. Older scalers, monitors, and projectors aren't. You need something to fake HDCP compliance in order to make this work.

From what I can tell, the easier/better approach is to get a Blu-Ray player with an HD-SDI output modification. Then, if necessary, get an HD-SDI to DVI box. This avoids HDCP entirely, allowing the use of a non-HDCP-compliant monitor/projector/scaler.

If HDMI ever gets used for anything more than Blu-Ray players, this may be an issue over the long term, but it does solve the short-term issue (somewhat expensively).

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 02:02 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the input , i am running into a LCD Panasonic 780 i think it is.

I have before ran a HDMI to DVI from a standard DVD player also Panasonic to the projector with no success , either the HDMI to DVI lead does not work or the socket on the projector is buggered.

thats why I am curious to see if a HDMI to RGB or component might be better.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-11-2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Blake
I have before ran a HDMI to DVI from a standard DVD player also Panasonic to the projector with no success , either the HDMI to DVI lead does not work or the socket on the projector is buggered.
That doesn't rule out HDCP issues as DVDs don't use that encryption scheme.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to look into these solutions, they are quite reasonable.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37081

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29772

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32714

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2010 06:23 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Todd, looks like they have the stuff i need .

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 02:18 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
purchased on of the converters that Todd gave me links to.

works a treat converting HDMI to VGA , now i can put up blue ray on my screen at home.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2010 09:28 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about purchasing this one for our theater:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32714

have you noticed any loss of picture quality when using these?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: