Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » THE PACIFIC HBO Miniseries

Author Topic: THE PACIFIC HBO Miniseries
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-04-2010 02:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blockbuster has several copies of the first chapter of the HBO miniseries, THE PACIFIC available as a free rental and I was able to get my hands on a copy last Tuesday. The copy I got was a Blu-Ray and I watched it last night and enjyed it and cannot wait until November 2nd of this year to watch the nine remaining episodes in the series. It was co produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks as a homage to the veterans who served in the Pacific during World War Two. It was a followup to their other excellent series BAND OF BROTHERS about the veterans who served in Europe during the same war.

BAND OF BROTHERS is a excellent series and I have the set on DVD and it looked and sounded great but THE PACIFIC in Blu-Ray looks far more impressive. Instead of looking like a typical made for television seres, The image and sound of THE PACIFIC
looked and sounded just as good as SAVING PVT RYAN a film Steven Spielbeg directed and starred Tom Hanks. I never saw this new series on HBO because I always wait for it to be released on discs and was wondering how good the presentation was on HDTV. Because I cancelled HBO a long time ago, I do not know if my local Time Warner cable service provide 5-1 sound. One would be missing a lot without it and that is the reason I prefer to wait for the Blu-Ray.

One of the cast member in THE PACIFIC is a grown up Joseph Mazzello who played the little boy in JURASSIC PARK.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-04-2010 08:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recorded the whole 10 part series from HBO-HD on my DVR. While I am biased towards things related to the Marine Corps (my father is a retired Marine) I think Band of Brothers is a more satisfying series in terms of dramatics. Still, The Pacific is well worth the watch. The 3 parts dedicated to the forgotten Battle of Peleliu are excellent. I think the chapter involving Iwo Jima could have been better (it was mainly focused on John Basilone and his journey to Iwo). The episode about The Battle of Okinawa had some pretty chilling scenes. It's gut wrenching to think what everyone involved had to endure in that battle, military and civilians both.

The American and Japanese forces battled ferociously in the Pacific Theater. This mini series is one of many dramatizations that hopefully will help anyone remember what happened half a century ago.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2010 09:15 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i started recording it here but then i missed a few episodes , i am hoping it will be released for sale at a later date as it is not about for rental over here.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-04-2010 11:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

as I had mentioned in my original thread, THE PACIFIC will be available here in the United States on Blu-Ray and DVD on November 2nd. I do not know when it will be released internationally especially Australia where you live. The Blu-Ray has a list price of $99.00 but it should be discounted to about $65.00 at Amazon and stores like Costo.

-Claude

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2010 06:18 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
will keep an eye on Amazon for it , ta Claude

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2010 07:10 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pacific has just finished over here on Sky tv. The action episodes are very good but I found some to be very slow and boring episode 2 in Australia and the last episode mostly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: