Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Farewell to "Lost" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Farewell to "Lost"
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 09:08 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I will miss 24, despite it's obviously "winding down" nature this season (and last season for that matter), the show I will really miss is "Lost". When these two shows go off the air, I don't know what I'll do with all of my time. I certainly won't be sitting in front of the TV on Monday or Tuesday nights anymore. What to do - what to do...

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 10:45 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never watched a single episode of "Lost" until over the Xmas holidays when I started watching it from the very beginning via NetFlix streaming. I've since watched every episode, a few more than once. "Lost" is now my favorite TV show of all time, period.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beside it's fans, LOST will especially be missed by the people of Hawaii because the millions of dollars it has contributed to our state's economy will come to an end. I do not know if are aware of the fact that the entire series was filmed right here on the island of Oahu. After watching the various production videos of LOST, I do not recall anything about the show going to the other Hawaiian islands for location work. It is just amazing how the city of Honolulu alone has doubled for London, Berlin, and other international cities. I have recognized many of the locations but there are many I have not.

LOST will be winding down production work soon if they have not done so yet. The sound stages and studios we have in Honolulu will not be vacant very long because the long awaited HAWAII FIVE O television pilot will soon go into production. The show will be a modern version of original series starring Jack Lord. Like LOST, it too was filmed entirely in Hawaii.

-Claude

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 02:56 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They ought to bring back Magnum PI!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In time, it will, Mike

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2010 03:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few episodes of Lost, but having missed the beginning I've never been able to make complete sense of it. With all the parallel realities and what not the only way I'll be able to fully appreciate it is if I watched every episode from the beginning.

That seems like a LOT of work.

Battlestar Galactica has posed a similar problem. I'm not quite tempted to spend $200 for the complete series box set on Blu-ray.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does not matter if you watch the show from the very beginning, because midway through about season three, the show flashes forward through time and I became LOST (pardon the pun [Smile] ) I have Season Five on Blu-Ray and I am trying to figure out what is going on and hopefully the final season will give me the answers.

-Claude

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Bobby, Lost is something that you REALLY need to watch from day 1 or you'll just never get it.

It's not just about the mysterious island. There's a ton of character development. The island is really just another character. It really is a great show.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 08:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lost" doesn't work for viewers who want clear answers to all questions raised by the story. You have to fill in some of the blanks yourself. Long-term viewers will be rewarded with many answers along the way but not all the answers.

I found that it helped a lot to review the episode summary on Lostpedia right after watching each episode. The show is loaded with so much "stuff" that even if you're paying attention (which you must) you will still miss some details. Lostpedia can go a long way toward bringing clarity.

Anyway no other TV show ever hooked me like this one. It just took me 5 years after the show began for the hook to be set.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 08:52 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to check out the fuselage too. Reading some of the theories on there is enough to make your head spin. There are minor characters that show up, go away, and then pop up again three seasons later. Then you sit there and wonder where else you have seen that actor or actress before - not realizing that you saw them on Lost three years ago.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2010 08:20 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to miss another 35mm TV show coming out without a new one coming in to replace it.

Haven't followed "Lost" that much, but it had some gorgeous cinematography (shooting in Hawai'i certainly makes for pretty pictures!)

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-29-2010 08:25 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I caught up on "Lost" via the one-hour "Previously on Lost" special they did before the current season premiere. Then I watched the season premiere (which itself did a five-minute "Previously on Lost") and the following episode. Then I "lost" interest. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, I don't get the attraction to this show at all.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-29-2010 11:16 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had tried a couple times to dive into "Lost" in the middle. Had no idea whatsoever what was going on, very frustrating, gave up, couldn't even finish a single episode. Then I started it from the beginning and got addicted. FWIW.

The thing about Lost is there are many red herrings and loose story fragments along the way. But overall it's held together by a strong story thread from the start to now that's very compelling to me for whatever reason but only works with knowledge of the entire arc of the story and all the mysteries along the way.

Funny thing with me is I'm terrible with names. You can introduce me to someone and 30 seconds later I have no idea what their name is. Likewise for characters in TV shows, I'm not into remembering names. Yet the names of major and even minor "Lost" characters have stuck with me. I remember most of them. I attribute this to strong character development and great writing and acting. Blah blah.

Re Lostpedia vs. The Fuselage: The Fuselage is supposedly "blessed" by J. J. Abrams so it has that going for it. However Lostpedia works better for me for some reason, in part because its wiki format displays very well on my iPhone. In fact I prefer viewing Lostpedia on the iPhone over using a real computer because most of the ads and crap are "lost". Presumably Lostpedia would work similarly on other mobile devices.

I've tried 24, same story, can't get into it. Someday I'll try it from the beginning.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-29-2010 11:50 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
I caught up on "Lost" via the one-hour "Previously on Lost" special they did before the current season premiere.
I don't believe that was meant for you, actually. I watch those with great interest because they tie things together that don't happen from one week to the next so you may not catch it when you're watching it during it's first run. Watching the episodes back to back to back has that effect too. You catch links to things that happened three hours ago vs. missing them because they happened three weeks ago. There's a fine line between "oh, ok how was I supposed to catch THAT?!" and "Holy crap I can't believe I MISSED THAT!!" and this show walks that line effortlessly and at times brilliantly.

The more I think about, David, the more I agree with you. It just may be my all time favorite TV show.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2010 03:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is another show that I know nothing about due to being in the movie business. After all the accolades it has gotten I'm tempted to start watching it on DVD. But, there's that pesky "only 24 hours in a day" thing. I wish there was a way to watch TV in my sleep, then I might have time to get caught up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: