Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Farewell to "24" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Farewell to "24"
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-27-2010 04:29 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CNN online reported the popular television series "24" will end it's run with the current 8th season that is running now. It will be followed by a two hour theatrical version that will cover the twenty four hour time period within the running time of the movie. The producers are not saying if the series will have a happy or a tragic ending. "24' was the only series I had bothered to watch as it aired every monday night for couple of seasons until last year when I had missed the opening episode.Because of that, I sat out the season as it aired and watched it when it was released on Blu-Ray and DVD. I watched it on Blu-Ray. Because I preferred watching it on BD, with a better1080p picture and DTS sound, I also decided to wait for the current season Blu-Ray discs to come out later this summer and watch it at that time.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2010 08:58 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"24" has been appointment television for John and myself from the second season (and we watched season 1 in syndacted re-runs). In the early seasons, the turncoat agents, CTI infiltrations and sudden deaths of sympathetic characters were surprising, sometimes shocking. Now, watching this season, we keep guessing when and where those elements are going to sneak up again. It was a great formula, but I'm surprised they got eight seasons out of it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-27-2010 12:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
24 has arguably "jumped the shark" (finally). While some of the plot lines and character developments were intriguing 24 was also very annoying in how so many of its characters would do absolutely stupid, nonsensical things just to get the plot steered into a certain direction. Lazy, bullshit writing. Ugh.

One of my coworkers has still been watching this season. But she told me she's finally had enough due to a certain plot revelation that happens near the end of the episode. Too ridiculous to believe.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-27-2010 10:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to fully enjoy "24", one must fully disengage one's brain and flow with the tide and accept every bull shit they come up with to 'juice' up the plot. I was able to do that and that was the reason I had enjoyed almost every season. Even after I had disengaged my brain I still cannot believe it is at possible for all of the many bad things that occur during the season is supposed to have happened during a twenty four hour time period For some reason, every time I watch the show, I get the feeling I am watching something that is happening during a period of days or weeks, not hours. It is still a tremendous show and I will miss it. At least I have the movie I can look forward to.

-Claude

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 01:50 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 6 series too late...and that's being generous.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me 24 used to be GREAT... then it was really good... then it was great again. The last couple of seasons have been just ok to me. I think it was the second season where I was wishing someone would kill off Jack's daughter because she was so stupid and kept driving the show in the wrong direction. I think it was a good run... maybe a season or two too late. Clearly an example of not ending the show on a high note, but dragging it out until it couldn't be dragged out anymore.

It was also quite frustrating trying to disengage my disbelief with all of their bogus techno speak. Didn't they have any IT consultants on the show? Sending video footage from IP Address 202.098.765.763? Really?? That's pretty freakin cool. Someone alert the media - the Internet isn't about to run out of IP addresses after all! 24 just uncovered some new subnets than no one has ever heard of before!

[Roll Eyes]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-30-2010 10:23 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite comment about 24 came from Television Without Pity:
"This show would be alot better if it was called 12" [evil]

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2010 09:24 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Farewell to another beautiful 35mm-shot show that is going to be replaced by a crummy looking HD reality show or some other garbage [Frown]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2010 09:07 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the last two hours tonight, any qualms I had about this season have become relatively unimportant. It's still cheese, but very good cheese!

I gotta wind down.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-06-2010 12:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox pulled its punches when the hostage merely had his throat cut. Real terrorists (and dope dealers) don't stop at that. They cut off the entire head! Hell, what's the difference? They already showed the dude with a gaping red neck wound. Isn't that R-rated enough? Just show a completely severed head to let the "reality" sink into the viewers.

Violence kicks ass. It's the American Way™.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 07:15 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER ALERT BOBBY! [Eek!]

There have been other times in which I thought "24" should have been more explicit--primarily the torture scenes. I guess that desire should concern me, but whatever. [Wink]

The way Jack took Hussein's brilliantly coiffed head and tilted it forward made me feel that it was cut through so far it might fall off backward. So I wasn't disappointed. PLUS, he got the silent clock!

The other "shout at the tv" moment was when they made that discovery, they allowed the video feed to continue. Of course it could be explained that the video feed was coming from elsewhere, but it appeared that nearby computer was running the video. At least spare the world the actual execution and diminish its propoganda impact.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-06-2010 07:51 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, only a select few have ended the show with a silent clock. It's quite an achievement.

The idea of cutting off someone's head reminds me of the episode where Jack shot the FBI witness (I think he was a child molester or something) in the second season. After getting yelled at for killing the guy, Jack looks up from the body and says, "Do you want to find this bomb or not? I'm gonna need a hacksaw."

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 08:15 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
"Do you want to find this bomb or not? I'm gonna need a hacksaw."

LOL I forgot about that line! Yeah, Jack's deadpan request really took me aback!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-06-2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the spoiler thing earlier. I forgot about that episode years ago where Jack killed the child molester dude and cut off his head. Although I seem to remember we didn't see much of the head at all (just a sack with the suggestion a human head was inside).

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-06-2010 03:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did you guys forget that??! That was one of my all time favorite Jack Bauer moments.

Speaking of that... (this could be fun) ... anyone else have any favorite Jack Bauer moments?

The rest of this thread could end up being spoiler territory, so just be warned if you've never seen the show.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: