Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » AVATAR on 4/22/10

Author Topic: AVATAR on 4/22/10
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 05:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox Home Video has announced the release of AVATAR on both Blu-Ray and DVD on the 22nd of April. This is an unusual release date because it falls on a Thursday this year instead of Tuesday which is the normal day when movies are first released on home video. I had heard AVATAR in 3-D still had a lot of theatrical life left when it had to make way for ALICE IN WONDERLAND. In a way this was good for people like us who buy and collect movies on Blu-Ray and DVd because it had hastened it's home video release. I think AVATAR earning power will be tremendous on home video because Cameron is already teasing fans to buy a bare bone release in April and make them double dip again later this year when he plans to release a deluxe multiple disc edition . That not the end because tHe 3-D home video Blu-Ray version will have more and because one can still play the discs on existing BD players many will be very tempted to triple dip! Lucas did that to me with his STAR WARS films and now James Cameron. When will it ever end

[Frown] [Smile]

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 06:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I can beat that... [Eek!]

Oh good grief...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 06:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'll end fairly soon, actually. DVD sales are dropping and they are tripping over themselves trying to boost them, while doing nothing about the very thing that's causing the drop (Netflix and Redbox $1 rentals). The acceleration of the release to video is just the latest tool in the box.

I have no doubt that Avatar will be a good seller, but when sales don't rebound, it'll be on to the next thing, whatever it might be.

Why don't they try this: Release Avatar 2 in theatres ONLY for two years. (The story being timeless, won't "date" like a lot of movies would.) Trumpet out the fact that it WILL NOT be available on home video for a period of two years. (Or, one year would work too.) To allay the fears of piracy, lock down the DVD screeners hard...in fact don't even make any. They're not necessary with a film-maker the caliber of Cameron anyway. In exchange for a guaranteed two year window, I think theaters would be more than happy to step up the anti-camcording measures. The grosses would go through the roof. (This idea makes good sense, hence it would never have a prayer of being used.)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

James Cameron was not too happy AVATAR in 3-D had to make way for ALICE IN WONDERLAND in theatres but there was nothing he could do. He announced recently that plans are now in being made to release AVATAR in theatres one more time later this year in 3-D with added footage. With the Blu-Ray and DVD already out out and the 3-D Blu Ray soon to follow, I do not know how successful it would be. I know Consolidated here in Hawaii had/have a policy that they do not show any movies at their theatres after they are out on home video. If they still have the policy in effect, they must have changed their mind because their theatres are now showing THE HURT LOCKER after it had won many Academy Awards including best picture and best director. I do not know if Cameron will be able to do the same with AVATAR by tying up a 3-D house if a first run movie in that format is scheduled to be released at the same time

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he does it in the fall, it shouldn't be a problem because all the summer big movies will be winding down and Harry Potter won't be out yet...although there may be a few other smaller releases in the pipeline.

The Carmike theatres in Billings are both showing Alice AND Avatar right now. I suppose they'll kick Avatar out when How to Train Your Dragon comes out next week. They have a 14- and a 10-plex there, both of which have at least three 3-D screens. I would think anybody with a 10 or more plex should have at least two 3-D screens (at least until the bubble bursts).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception of Regal's Dole Cannery showing of AVATAR , the film is no longer playing in any theatres in Honolulu. The Dole must really be doing booming business when they are the only complex showing the movie in our town- in 3-D. Yes, I think AVATAR will do very well in theatres again because like TITANIC, many people who have seen it more than once, will want to see it on the big screen again in 3-D. I think it will make at least a hundred million during it theatrical re release.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2010 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Claude, you were right about the original release so there's no reason to think you won't be right-on again in the re-issue! [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-22-2010 12:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I forgot to mention about some new scenes James Cameron said he will add to the movie if it is released in theatres again as he planning to do. I can now understand why he is releasing a movie only version later next month on Blu-Ray and DVD because of his theatrical re release plans. I still think he can make a hundred million but the number of shows will be limited to one less than before because the running time of the extended version will probably exceed three hours. He will also need to release the movie again in both 3-D and 2-D. I am not sure if he can release it again in the 15/70 IMAX 3-D film format because of the longer running time. He should have no problem with the digital version however.

-Claude

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I have little to no interest in owning Avatar. It was attractive to the eye but the narrative isn't such that it would hold my interest again. Even the eventual 3D version has little appeal to me. I'd rather "Robot Monster" or "Cat Women of the Moon" for 3D content!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-22-2010 08:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I never saw ROBOT MONSTER in 3-D but I did see it in 2-D in a theatre and I thought how cool it would have been to see it in 3-D. It was playing as part of a afternoon double feature at my home town theatre, the Waipahu. I never heard of the film before I saw it and did not know it was photographed in in 3-D until I saw many 'In Your Face" segments during the screening. As I recall, it starred George Nader who was kind of well known at the time.

It stands to reason you have no interest in AVATAR because you disliked the film but many others enjoyed it so much, they saw it more than once. It is a fan base like this that will assure it's success when it is re released to theatres and many times on Blu-Ray and DVD.

-Claude

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 10:14 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No interest in Avatar on DVD/Blu-ray either, but Robot Monster was awesome in 3D dual 35mm. Much more enjoyable than I ever thought in the big screen. The floating bubbles ... plenty of hyperstereo... I had seen it on (3D) video before, but didn't enjoy it as much.

The whole theater was laughing in the (1st) 3D expo in LA during the "good parts". You know what I mean |-}

Cat women of the moon was alright, but much more boring and not nearly as awesome. I didn't find it more enjoyable in the big screen than I already had before on (3D) video.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: