Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 3-D TV, false advertising! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 3-D TV, false advertising!
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 11:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was fast-forwarding through commercials during the Academy Awards, I couldn't help but notice the advertising for 3-D TVs (from Samsung) where they made it look like objects would come flying out of the TV and virtually fill your room with flying objects. We all know this is nonsense -- the objects aren't going to go anywhere outside of the TV's frame...correct?

Therefore I think a film-tech class-action suit against Samsung is in order. About a million dollars each for emotional distress should cover it.

Seriously, I realize that ALL 3-D advertising puts forth the notion that stuff will be filling your whole environment, be it in a theme park ride or a living room; but I can't help but think many people will be sorely disappointed when the flying objects are confined to that 42-inch box on the wall.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 11:57 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony 3D tv's and Bluray players hit the stores this week. They all have the ability to create some sort of faux 3D image from 2D sources, along with true 3D from 3D sources. At the moment they are still too expensive to have any noticeable effect on the theatre industry, but I expect these to be mass market items within 3 years.

Any out of screen effects that can be done in a theatre can be reproduced on these sets.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-10-2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: That Guy in Forsyth
Seriously, I realize that ALL 3-D advertising puts forth the notion that stuff will be filling your whole environment, be it in a theme park ride or a living room; but I can't help but think many people will be sorely disappointed when the flying objects are confined to that 42-inch box on the wall.
It would almost be worth taking a part-time job at Best Buy so you could see customers coming in and being completely serious when complaining.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, let it go. It would be better for people to spend money to buy a product and find out how shitty it really is. That way they are more likely to just go to the movie theater next time instead of staying home and watching an inferior picture.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-10-2010 01:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sears location here in Lawton will be putting up a large Samsung 3D TV demonstration display. It's even supposed to have a sanitizing unit for cleaning the 3D glasses. The cleaning unit has to be there to cut down on the risk of a viewer passing his head lice or something else on to the next viewer.

I saw those 3D TV commercials from Samsung. I seem to remember the usual "Simulated Picture" tagline shown on screen. So much for a truth in advertising law suit.

One concern I have is Samsung and Panasonic making exclusivity deals with Dreamworks & Fox respectively for certain Blu-ray 3D movie titles. Samsung will have a 1 year deal for the 3D versions of the Shrek movies and Monsters vs. Aliens. Fox reportedly has a deal on 3D versions of the Ice Age saga. You'll only be able to get the 3D versions of those movies within the next 12 months by buying them in a bundle with a certain 3D TV set.

I think the exclusive 3D movies bundle is a very stupid idea. There isn't enough Blu-ray 3D content in the works at this point for electronics companies to play exclusivity games with any of them. By putting certain titles into restrictive availability it could cause sales rates of 3D capable TV sets and Blu-ray players to start out very slowly. Samsung and Panasonic could end up selling fewer products than they anticipate. I think the greedy moves will cause many people to just hold onto their money and wait just like what happened during the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray drama.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I think the exclusive 3D movies bundle is a very stupid idea.
Don't worry.

Just buy the available 3D blu-ray version (anaglyph) to acquire viewing rights to the film in 3D blu-ray and download the exclusive blu-ray titles in the S3D format from the internet, which will be available the day after (or before) they are released in all pirate sites .... [Cool]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 02:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good 3-D can give you the illusion of things coming at you out from the screen. The paddle board scene in HOUSE OF WAYX is a classic example when I saw it in dual projection Natural Visin 3-D in the fifties. There was a similar scene in BWANA DEVIL where natives were jabbing spears at you when the were looking for lions in the Kenyan grassy countryside. In CAPTAIN EO at Disneyland West, I felt I could grasp meteor particles that seem to be floating in space right in front of me a couple of feet away. I have seen many other similar examples when I saw 15/70 IMAX documentary films in the past. Both Real D and Dolby 3-D has not been able to do that because both of the process is not as good as dual projection 3-D.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 05:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude - you're not getting my meaning. The commercials show objects flying not only AT YOU, but filling the room beyond the outside borders of the TV screen. Objects floating inches and feet to the left, right, above and below the screen. Which is impossible with 3D.

It will look better in the theatre by far, for the simple reason that the screen is at least 10 times bigger than the biggest home TV, plus the room should be very dark, so more of your field of vision will be filled and you'll have less visual distractions.

quote: Bobby Henderson
So much for a truth in advertising law suit.
Dude, I was joking about the lawsuit. Have you NO sense of humor?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 06:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I now understand what you were referring to. Lionsgate did the same thing with their theatrical and television trailers for MY BLODDY VALENTINE 3-D when they showed images that protruded out from the screen. I saw the movie in a theatre in Dolby 3-D and never saw anything like that. Do you think we b=can bring legal action against Lionsgate too? [Smile]

-Claude

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah.

We would have to nail Dimension too [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7P4xW2AWyE

And half the people that have ever promoted a 3D film ...

We could though join the class action from that guy that sued the deodorant company 'cos he wasn't attracting girls like a magnet like in the commercials after 10 years of religiously using the stuff ...

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 07:01 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, when filming (or posting) for a bigger screen like IMAX, the convergence can be set to make the subjects appear closer. With smaller screens, the borders of the frame must be taken into account (called the "stereo window"), so proper convergence can't really for as an immersive 3D. Because the IMAX screen practically fills one's vision, violating the stereo window isn't so important, and much more of the image can be set to take place in negative space.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The commercials show objects flying not only AT YOU, but filling the room beyond the outside borders of the TV screen. Objects floating inches and feet to the left, right, above and below the screen. Which is impossible with 3D.

..I just took it as an fancy marketed TV-3D ad to grab the attention towards the TV-3D concept - just like thos old 3D ads we used to see in Boxoffice Magazines and even with the ad for "My Bloody Valentine" of last year where objects were "flying out of the parameters of the limited screen frame" to the public. Thus, never seen any false advertising with this.

True though, on 3D viewing on a movie screen, there seems that some objects suddenly fly out of the screen towards you, but of course confined within the screen frame.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 08:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just think the whole 3-D thing will be severely underwhelming at home unless viewed on a screen of at least 72 inches or maybe even more.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 08:41 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mike. You really need a big screen for that promised "immersion."

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 08:54 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
65" 3D TV's are around the corner. Just sit pretty close to them.

Or get a 3D home projector (or a pair of 2D ones).

Or wait for next year's 70" ones ...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: