Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » African Queen blu-ray - color issue? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: African Queen blu-ray - color issue?
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 10:34 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the first glimpse of the blu-ray African Queen. From the screen caps used to compare it to earlier DVD versions (from Europe) I think they have warmed the color too much. I have tried to convince myself that Gone With The Wind was "supposed" to look that brown, but now I am thinking the "artists" behind the restorations are intentionally warming up old IB Tech films. Perhaps they think more subdued color is more sophisticated but they are making lots of great films look brown and/or orange (Godfather films come to mind). I had a 35mm GWTW (LPP, 1989) that had better color than the blu-ray. If you look at the screen caps of AQ I think you'll agree the color looks more accurate (consider the skin tones) on the Carlton PAL DVD than on the blu-ray. I will not be buying this. Here's the link...I will be interested in your opinions...

The Sepia Queen!

|  IP: Logged

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For my taste, the images from the BluRay look very good. The cool color treatment of the others doesn't look right to me.

DM

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick - Look at the pics of the boat heading for the rocks. The "white water" is brown. It looks like every shot was taken at sunset!

Do you feel the same about the GWTW disc? Or the Godfather blu-rays? I thought the Godfather was the most egregious.

I will get AQ from netflix and give it a spin. It is a title I'd like to have in my collection but not if it's going to annoy me every time I watch it.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I can see where you are coming from but from what I can see from the examples you had posted, the images does not look too bad of THE AFRICAN QUEEN. Yes, the restoration of THE GODFATHER was overdone and it looked terrible. I can understand warming up the picture of part one and two was justified because the story is suppose to take place a long time ago but when they did it to part three of THE GODFATHER trilogy, they went to far. In two weeks, TAQ will be mine on Blu-Ray, finally!

-Claude

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 04:10 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD captures look very blue-white, as opposed to the Blu-ray captures, which look more "normal."

The whitewater does look a little on the brown side, but I don't remember enough of the movie to remember what time of day it was, or if the water looked that way when originally presented in theaters (I didn't exist at the time). The clouds don't look brown, so if there was color-shifting going on, someone intentionally applied the color to just a portion of the screen.

The screen capture with Katherine Hepburn dumping out the liquor makes her white dress look like it's probably the correct shade of white.

I don't see anything in those captures that puts the Blu-ray in a negative light, especially when compared to the DVD captures.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 06:48 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
(I didn't exist at the time).
Scott, it was before my incept date as well. [Big Grin]

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 10:05 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
I agree with you regarding the "white water" sequence being a bit brown. Maybe it was muddy [Smile] .
As to GWTW, no comment. I worked with this picture thru too many restorations, and although I have the DVD I haven't watched it. I have no interest in getting the BR (anyway, don't have a player). I would have a hard time sitting thru it again.

DM

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 12:55 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, the Blu-Ray of AFRICAN QUEEN does a good job of matching the look of the color on the original IB prints (I have one), while toning down some of the contrast and softness issues that were inherent on those prints.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-12-2010 02:16 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the IB prints had that brownish water Jack?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 02:53 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't watched it in a while, but I'll gladly break out my print and scan a few comparison frames later. There is, by the way, a great difference between the timings of the 1951 prints and the '60s Trans-Lux re-issue, so the film definitely had two different "looks," which I found out the hard way.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-12-2010 07:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen-caps from-the Blu-Ray look warm but in my-humble opinion looks very nice. I do not remember THE AFRICAN QUEEN having brilliant color because as I had mentioned earlier, I recall the color was rather drab looking when I first saw the movie in a theatre and years later on laserdiscs. I know I will have no problem with the color hues on the Bd and look forward to picking up a copy in a little over a week.

-Claude

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 09:48 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two peripheral comparisons between the color balance on the BD and the 35mm print. As you can see, it's pretty close, although the 1951 IBs have a softer, redder look. The '68 re-issue prints are greener, hotter, and generally mistimed.

http://www.thephotoplayer.com/african1.jpg
http://www.thephotoplayer.com/african2.jpg

The BD seems to be timed to that grays are neutral, which is the safe way to play it. Frankly, I'm quite happy with the new disc. I'll try to find that water shot later this weekend...

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on those frames I'd have to agree the BR looks pretty good.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Hunt at the Digital Bits site has a very interesting eight minute video now on the restoration of THE AFRICAN QUEEN.

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2010 04:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
I have tried to convince myself that Gone With The Wind was "supposed" to look that brown
All Gone With The Wind I.B.s I've seen have a muted and somewhat rustic type of look to them. I read somewhere that this was intended. My I.B. print certainly reflected this look.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: