Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Mislabeled Blu-Ray Disc?

Author Topic: Mislabeled Blu-Ray Disc?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-24-2010 06:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not yet invested in a new receiver that will allow me to enjoy the full sound benefits of Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. I am still using a Denon AVR 3802 receiver and when I am playing Dolby True HD, the receiver will indicate 6.1 Dolby or something like that. When I am playing a disc that has a DTS HD Master Audio track, the receiver will say ES MTX. I watched MISS CONGENIALITY last night and the BD case said the disc was in DOLBY True HD but when I played the disc, the receiver said ES MTX. Warner Brothers has been using DTS a lot lately and was wondering f the disc indeed has a DTS track and the case was mislabeled?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-24-2010 08:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible. It is also possible that the disc has a standard DTS track and it defaulted to that as well. Dolby TrueHD tends to be too quiet and has lots of nonsensical "midnight modes" and the such so DTSHDMA (all one word, pronounced phonetically) is usually the better choice because it doesn't make your receiver do things you don't want it to do. Personally, I think DTS will do better than Dolby on Blu-ray. Dolby has over-engineered their product and DTS is gaining steam.

EDIT: looking at the product info on Blu-ray.com, it says the movie is supposed to be in DTSHDMA.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-24-2010 08:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about DTS gaining steam over Dolby, Joe. Sony has now completely switched over to DTS on Blu-ray and Warner Home video is not sure what they want to do. However, they too have been releasing a lot of their recent new released such as WATCHMAN directors cut and catalogue titles like it's first two Harry Potter ultimate editions in DTS. Although I was rooting for Dolby over DTS and SDDS during the theatrical digital sound competition, I have always favored DTS over Dolby for home video sound.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-24-2010 11:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thing between Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio on Blu-ray all comes down to LICENSING COST. From what I have been able to gather, it doesn't cost as much to license DTS-HD on a mass production title as it does to use Dolby TrueHD.

Another thing that helps DTS far more greatly on Blu-ray is that every Blu-ray player sold must be able to internally decode both Dolby Digital and DTS. That was not a requirement for DVD. The DVD format only required basic internal decoding and 2-channel stereo output of Dolby Digital. That is why Dolby Digital was so much more common on DVD. With the playing field leveled and DTS being less expensive to license (and also boasting a more verbally noisy fanboy contingent) the DTS-HD format has been doing very well on Blu-ray.

Almost every Fox Blu-ray release has DTS-HD audio on it. Every Blu-ray release from Universal uses DTS-HD. Most releases from MGM and Lionsgate use DTS-HD. Over the past year most of Disney's Blu-ray releases have been DTS-HD. Warner Bros. has been using DTS-HD more and more with the trend kind of starting with Watchmen. Paramount has even gotten on board with supporting DTS-HD on certain releases. If the fanboys like it, why not give it to them?

I do agree with Joe from the standpoint of practicality DTS-HD is a more "no nonsense" surround sound format. You don't have to second guess dialog normalization, night modes, various modes of bass management and what not to get the track to sound like you expect it to sound immediately. I think all the extra features of the Dolby audio formats tend to do more harm than good. The average movie watcher out there doesn't know how to run pink noise tests and other stuff. The average Joe six pack will probably run with the default settings. And those default Dolby audio format settings often suck.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-24-2010 11:48 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also seem to recall that for people who don't have a 7.1 system, a lot of players have the option to play all core sound through DTS, since the DTS core has a higher bitrate than Dolby Digital core. But I could be mistaken.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-25-2010 12:14 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking, the embedded "DTS Lossy Core" bit stream in nearly all DTS-HD Master Audio encoded sound tracks on Blu-ray runs at a 1509kb/s bandwidth, the "full" bit rate of lossy DTS. There are some that run at the 754kb/s rate, but I can't remember which titles use that rate.

Most Dolby TrueHD tracks on Blu-ray also feature a kind of hidden Dolby Digital 5.1 track, which usually runs at the maximum 640kb/s rate of lossy DD 5.1. Although some companion DD 5.1 tracks on Blu-ray run at 448kb/s or perhaps even less.

The top end area of the lossless audio tracks seems to be more murky than that of the bottom, lossy end of the spectrum. A Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track can be "lossless" with as little as a 1536kb/s bit rate. Bit depth and sample rate can vary and send the bit rate up beyond 3Mb/s or 4Mb/s. But all we see is the lossless audio format logo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: