Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Repeat Viewings

Author Topic: Repeat Viewings
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-22-2010 10:14 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know why I do it but whenever I see a movie in a theatre and enjoyed it, I would tell myself "I got to get that!". I have bought many movies with that instinct at first in a tape format ,than laserdiscs followed by DVDs and now Blu-Ray. Most of the time I only watch bits and pieces of the movie when I buy it and put it away promising myself I will watch all of the movie someday. I have many movies I bought years ago that I had never bothered to watch again but I recently started to do that and I am once again enjoying them just as much as I did in a theatre the first time. Because my memory is not as sharp as it used to be, there are many movies I had forgotten how it had ended, and this is fantastic because it is like watching the movie for the first time and I love it.

It is a good thing I am not like my brother who refuses to watch a movie he had seen before. He also do not like old film from the silents, to the early eighties even if he had never seen the films. If everyone was like him there would be no such thing as Classic Films and movies like GONE WITH THE WIND or CASABLANCA would have rotted in the can after it's first showings never to be seen again. He also dislikes musicals. I tried to get him and his wife to watch the film version of LA BOHEME on Blu-Ray recently when I was at their house and I can tell by my brother's body movement, he was not enjoying it so we watched GI JOE and he enjoyed that.

I do have some favorites I watch very often. They include GRAND TORINO, INGLORIOUS BASTARDS, THE SEVEN SAMURAI, HAMLET (Braghna) and lighter films such as the original and remake of THE PARENT TRAP,and both GRUMPY OLD MEN and GRUMPIER OLD MEN. I love political movies and have watched ADVICE & CONSENT, ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN and the lighter THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT & DAVE a lot of times.

It is however very sad to see in my collection movies I bought years ago that I might never watch again. Perhaps now that I am no longer going to my mother's nursing home to be be with her, I will have more time to see these movies.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-22-2010 11:14 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Because my memory is not as sharp as it used to be, there are many movies I had forgotten how it had ended, and this is fantastic because it is like watching the movie for the first time and I love it.
I'm not old and still have decent memory (enough to do well in grad school; not to too my own horn or anything) but I forget stuff from movies a lot. Heck, I got Bourne Supremacy on netflix and it was 45 mins in before I realized I'd seen it already. And even then most of it seemed new to me.

I'll remember stuff from particular movies or at least if I'd seen them pretty recently.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-22-2010 11:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm usually pretty good at remembering visual details and dialog from movies. The same goes for movie trailers, which can often be a bad thing. You end up spoiling the movie for yourself because you remember certain camera shots in the trailer and there's only so many ways those dynamic shots are going to fall into the story line of the movie.

Some movies are put together well enough either in terms of performances and/or visual style that I just don't get sick of them. Some great movie scenes or sequences have a sort of music about them where they can be viewed again and again. These days I try to make some sort of effort to judge a movie on that criteria before I buy a copy of it. A great movie that you only feel like seeing once is still not a movie worth buying.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: