Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blu-Ray Double feature & twofer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Blu-Ray Double feature & twofer
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a Walmart store in Honolulu the other day and they had a whole bunch of Blu-Ray twofers consisting of two movies at the special price of $19.95 Although there were at least ten or more pairs of discs, the one I remember is the pairing of THE ROBE and THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. When it was first released I paid about $34.95 for THE ROBE at Borders because neither Best Buy or Target was carrying it and they were with only ones with two copies in stock. It was the same with the BD of SOUTH PACIFIC and Costco now has tons of them for sale at less than fifteen dollars. Warner Brothers will be releasing Double Feature Blu-Ray movie packages. It is not known at this time if the movies will be on two separate discs or on a single . One of the first double feature set will be GRUMPY OLD MEN and GRUMPIER OLD MEN. GRUNMPY OLD MAN by itself was already released and I have it. I also want GRUMPIER OLD MEN and I guess the only way to get it is to buy the double feature set. When it comes to double dipping, this is too much [Frown]

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-18-2010 09:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This trend in pricing is nothing new; we saw it when the DVD format grew from high end niche status into a mainstream product.

Only a year ago I could recall stores selling the Blu-ray box set of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in the $30 to $40 price range. That same Blu-ray package can now be purchased at Wal-Mart for just $15. It's like this for so many other titles.

I Robot, while not a great movie, has been considered "reference quality" for image/sound on Blu-ray. 2 years ago most retailers selling Blu-ray wanted $30 or more for it. Now you can buy it for $10 at Wal-Mart (and perhaps less than that at Amazon).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 11:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been waiting for the original "Airport" to come out on DVD. Currently the only way to get it is in a cheesy package with the original + all the inferior sequels. I'd rather pay the regular price for the original by itself with some cool making-of footage or a commentary.

I realize this probably won't happen in my lifetime, since most of the people in the movie are dead or retired and thus nobody gives a crap about it much anymore, I guess. But it's a better movie than 99% of the disaster-fests they make now (Even Dean Martin manages to be decent in it).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 03:42 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I have the DVD set with the original AIRPORT and all of the terrible sequels. I watched the original movie about two months ago and the picture and sound quality was pretty good. If you can find the set, it is worth having just for the original. I think the only extra feature that came with AIRPORT was the theatrical trailer. Helen Hayes won a academy award for her performance in this film. The movie also features a modern musical score by one of my favorite film composer, Alfred Newman. I think AIRPORT was one of the last scores he had composed before he passed away.

-Claude

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-19-2010 03:45 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Airport is available separately in the US on DVD, but it's pan&scan. There is a German DVD available too, and it is anamorphic.

I'm hoping it will not be too long a wait for a Blu-ray release.

And for Claude, yes Airport was indeed Newman's last score. As I recall he died the night after finishing the recording sessions.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 12:05 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

The American version I have in the set is also anamorphic. It is in the original Todd AO 70mm 2.20:1 ratio and in stereo. If you can find it, it is available in a bargain basement price and like I said earlier is worth having

-Claude

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 02:44 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I've been waiting for the original "Airport" to come out on DVD. Currently the only way to get it is in a cheesy package with the original + all the inferior sequels.
quote: Paul Mayer
Airport is available separately in the US on DVD, but it's pan&scan.
While it is possible it is currently out of print, in 2001 Good Times Entertainment did issue a stand-alone Region 1 DVD of "Airport." It retailed for only $9.99 and featured a 16x9 enhanced transfer and 2.0 stereo audio. Its catalog number is 05-81138.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-19-2010 03:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how big a hit Airport was in the 1969-1970 time frame, the movie obviously seems worthy of some sort of high res scan and clean-up procedure for release on Blu-ray. It was one of the last big American feature films shot in Todd-AO 70mm. The image quality might look pretty good.

I wonder if the post-911 environment is muting any sort of enthusiasm about marketing a classic disaster movie like Airport. Movie studios are getting pretty squeamish these days. Remember mid 1995 when Die Hard With a Vengeance was fixing to be released and then the Murrah building in Oklahoma City was bombed? Some were calling for Fox to delay the movie's release or tone down some of the bombing stuff in the show.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Come to think of it, I did have that Goodtimes 16X9 enhanced DVD of the original AIRPORT but the quality was no way as good as the one that was released with the AIRPORT Franchise Collection by Universal Home Video about two years ago.

-Claude

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 03:25 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the terminal pack of the Airport series and I anxiously await the Blu-Ray of Airport. The sequels had less quality in a progressive manner. 75 wasn't bad not as good as Airport but after that what the heck were they thinking.

The formats are 2:35 on the terminal pack so I am hoping that they do the ToddAO in the original format.

OH man to see that on a gaint screen again.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-20-2010 08:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Airport" would be a good film to remake. It would tap into people's fears way better than the improbable thrill-fests we get nowadays. Cloris Leachman could take the Helen Hayes role.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-20-2010 09:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Give it to McG or Paul Greengrass and watch what happens. hahaha

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-20-2010 09:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Airport" looked great on the screen since it was an IB print..

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-20-2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, AIRPORT did not play at any of our Waikiki Theatres It went to the Varsity and that is where I saw it in 35mm mono .The theatre was a 70mm equipped house but Consolidated Theatres never treated the movie as something special that is why it went to the Varsity instead of Waikiki where only big pictures played. Because it was so long ago, I do not remember too much about the print quality but only that I saw it at the Varsity.

-Claude

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-21-2010 12:32 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, in 'Vegas it only played in 35mm mono at the Bonanza. Would have loved to see it in 70mm at the Fox or the Cinerama dome (Parkway hadn't been built yet in 1970).

I got to run it in anamorphic 16mm a couple of years later in high school.

A Blu-ray release would be nice!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: