Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Converting Laser Disc to DVD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Converting Laser Disc to DVD
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2010 12:54 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been trying to convert a laser to DVD via capture card in PC . I am experiencing very bad quality results.

What is the best quality format to save in AVI or MPG2 for conversion to DVD?

Has anyone tried this with good results ?

Phil

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-17-2010 01:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try a Pinnacle/Dazzle capturing device since you're doing analog transfer to digital and you need such a device to aid for the capture.

(Course,I cheated: I have a DVD recorder and connected the two via RCA cabling. Laserdisc copies on DVD via this way turned out great!)

Good luck - Monte

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-17-2010 10:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Try a Pinnacle/Dazzle capturing device since you're doing analog transfer to digital and you need such a device to aid for the capture.

The only problem with that choice is there is the possibility that the audio will be out of sync with the picture the larger the file gets.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What software are you using? Can you describe what "poor results" means?

I would recommend capturing to an uncompressed AVI (presuming you have enough hard drive space) then go back and encode an MPG-2 compliant file for authoring to DVD.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-17-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just get a recordable DVD player unless you want to edit the side changes to make them absolutely seamless.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2010 06:20 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done the LD to stand alone DVD recorder dub with very good results. LDs never had copy guard. There is info in the vertical blanking that the player needs to play the disc, so macro-vision could not be put onto a LD (I think that this is the reason that LD was "killed off" so fast when DVD came out, even though it took a while before DVD finaly took off). If you preview where the side change is, you can pause the DVD recorder ar the right place.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 04:49 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i do have a really good DVD recorder but the problem is the DVD recorder is PAL only and the Laser disc I want to convert is NTSC , so i had to go back to the PC to do the transfer.

I have pinnacle 10 which resulted in the final capture being very much out of sync. I also have AVS video capture suite which works quite well but i can only make a mpg2 file at 352 x 240 which is crappy.
when i take it up to 720 x 480 it bombs out telling me my P4 3.4Gig processor cannot handle the workload.

The original laser disc is of a very high quality so I am quite surprised the copying is not turning out well.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 11:05 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P4 3.4 should be waay more than enough to capture an uncompressed AVI, it should even work compressing mpg2 on the fly. Have you tried 720X480 AVI with no compression? PM me and I might have a piece of software that may help you.
What is the title of the laserdisc if you don't mind my asking?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 11:08 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Leadtek PVR 2000 with their PVR sofware to transfer about 30 VHS(4 to 6 hr long) home videos to DVD with no problems with lip-sync. It has its own hardware encoder so it uses very little CPU power. Their software has many different encoding settings to choose from. I used their "DVD(Hardware) setting. It is also a very good TV tuner as it is in real-time and it also changed channels very quickly. I use it to watch/record cable TV.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-18-2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do so many Windows programs lose "lip sync" as the file gets larger? I simply do not understand this. 5 minutes of video and 5 minutes of audio should match up perfectly. Why is it slowing one of those aspects down? I see this A LOT on Youtube videos.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 11:59 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short answer: dropped frames
Long answer: look at this link:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-dropped-frames.htm

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent link .. thx and it all makes sense on how to make excellent video.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-18-2010 09:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm doesn't this work on the "Shrinky Dink" principle? Just pop the Laserdisc in the oven...it then will shrink down to a DVD!

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 04:59 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Weitzel
What is the title of the laserdisc if you don't mind my asking?
the title is Roaring Glory war birds , it is a documentary of restored ww2 aircraft that are still flying today, really great footage in surround.

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2010 04:36 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Phil, make sure you use the Composite cable to hook the player up (PAL has those, right?), NOT the S-Video.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: