Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Projecting a JPG pic file thru a video projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projecting a JPG pic file thru a video projector
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-08-2010 08:49 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem -- I am handed a .JPG file and told they want to RP screen project it during a show. I need to get that file into a format that the video projector likes. First thing I though of was just puting it in PowerPoint and feed that to the projector via VGA from a laptop. BUT, if I can avoid having to have a stage hand dealing with a computer during a show, I think I would feel better about it.

I am thinking just burn it to a DVD and be done with it. DVD player is lower tech than dealing with a laptop. Thing is, what's the best way to convert that file to a video that can be burned to a DVD for playback? I need this thing to play on the screen for max, 15min.

This is for a memorial to Rex Nettelford, founder and director of the National Dance Theatre Company of Jamaica when they do their concert here in March. His picture will be revealed for the last curtain call. It just a simple projection, but obviously for such a solemn moment, it CANNOT get screwed up. The idea of a stagehand needing to load PowerPoint or in anyway futzing with a laptop is too fraught with danger.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2010 09:50 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's easily done in with most editing software. Make a slide show out of it and add that to a movie file.

Nero sometimes does not like doing that though for some odd reason so you may need to paste the slideshow file in a few times to get the duration you're looking for.

FWFW, I use Nero 9.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-09-2010 03:57 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or go low-tech.

Shoot a screen cap onto transparency and drop it into a carousel.

I know this wont use the video projector as the output device, but at the very least it will be a perfect failsafe backup.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2010 07:30 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone still make slides? Can they be made from digital camera files, or even JPG files?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-09-2010 07:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.slides.com/

I am not affiliated with them, but have used the service and been happy with the results.

Some camera stores and photo labs offer this service as well.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2010 07:59 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks Scott.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank - After reading your inquiry, I went to one of my random pictures. I highlighted it's file name, and at the top of the screen there is a selection that says "Burn". Clicking on that says "Burn to Disc", and opens the tray for a blank.
This is in a computer with Windows 7.
I should think that will work.

DM

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-09-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would depend on the DVD player; many will play a disk that simply has some picture files on it, but some, especially older ones, will not. It's not part of the DVD spec to be able to do so. My early Toshiba, which finally packed up recently certainly wouldn't, but then it wouldn't do many things that later models would.

If it will play; there's also no way to predict exactly what it will do; it might play the same picture continuously, or play the last (only) picture for a few seconds and then go to a blank screen, or a system menu (one from the machine, not the disc).

Give it a try, it would be the quickest way to do it if it works, but leave time to do it another way if it doesn't.

You wouldn't be able to do this if you were sending the disc to somebody with an unknown player, but since you can test it on the machine that will be used then if it works fine. It's proably worth testing in on two players, just in case one fails just before the show.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of projector are you using? What does it have for inputs?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-09-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to try buring the jpg file directly to the DVD and see if that works. If the video gods are smiling on me and the projector works, then I'll be lucky. If not I'll just have to make a video if it.

Sean, it's a Sharp XG-NV6XU and it has VGA Computer RGB, Component R/G/B/Sync/VD, Component P(r)/Y/P(b), RS232C, S-Video and C-Video.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 01:02 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
slide makers in perth WA

Churchill Colour Laboratories
288 Railway Pde, West Leederville, WA, 6007

I created Jpg stills for video in a simple movie maker program , designed the pic then added it to the time line for the desired length on movie timeline then created MPG file of the still load onto server and bingo done.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott N: wow, thanks for the link. Having several slides printed by this company and shipped via Fedex from the US is actually cheaper than having one single slide made over here...

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 04:46 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note: if you are using a laptop computer to feed the projector, make sure that you turn off all the sleep modes, and the screen saver. You do not want the computer going to sleep, or the screen saver poping up at the wrong time.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 08:27 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA...thanks Bruce -- yah, been burned with that once already. OR, I could use the Slide Show screen saver and only have that .jpg image in it.....hehe. I love thwarting smart-ass computers. [beer]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 07:00 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the projector has a freeze function it may be worth using this once the image is stable on screen.

If making a video DVD make the recording far longer than you could possibly need. Relying on the pause button on the DVD player is dangerous as a lot of DVD players unpause after some time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: