Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Mains cable for Blu Ray player.

Author Topic: Mains cable for Blu Ray player.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 06:26 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 165 pounds!
web page

The plug pins and fuse are gold plated, and the casing of the plug has 'undergone cryogenic treatment'

web page

Don't forget to have your cables 'burned in' before use, and return them for a few days 're-tune' every few months, at 55 pounds each.

web page

Plenty of other things that you cannot possibly live without on this site. On second thoughts, I think I could just about manage to live without it.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 07:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to replace your stock fuse with an audiophile-quality fuse for only $47.25 US

"...Clearly a fuse that offers a more naturally open, warmer, and richer sound than stock fuses while imparting a way more dimensional perspective. You get all the resolution times a gazillion with no additional over-analytical-ness that makes things bright, annoying, and hyped. Can you say, 'Organic?'" 2009 Brutus Award winner - Positive Feedback Online, Issue 46

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 08:41 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if I got one of those power cables, do I also have to replace the wiring in my walls? Then I would need a gold plated breaker panel. And don't forget to replace the wiring to the pole. Then I would need a solid gold transformer on the pole. I wonder how much it would cost to gold plate all the generators that my power company uses? I had better get busy!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-02-2010 08:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any TV station, recording studio, or postproduction facility anywhere in the world that uses these "boutique" power cables? Or any type of cable for anything that is different from the usual stuff sold by Belden, Canare, Mogami, etc.?

If the high-end cables really made any sort of difference, then wouldn't logic suggest that the production people would use them?

[ 02-02-2010, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 11:52 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just proof that some people have WAYYYYYY too much money...

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 11:57 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting one of those for my computer.

The fan makes too much noise.

They cryogenic treatment stuff may come in handy too, as it sometimes gets too hot.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-02-2010 12:52 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
So, if I got one of those power cables, do I also have to replace the wiring in my walls?
Of course you do; I'll do if for you on the cheap if you like, $500 per metre.

quote:
Then I would need a gold plated breaker panel. And don't forget to replace the wiring to the pole. Then I would need a solid gold transformer on the pole. I wonder how much it would cost to gold plate all the generators that my power company uses? I had better get busy!
Bruce,

Somebody else has had a similar idea; have a look at this:

web page

Note that there is another mains cable which is a mere $650.

I'd be really interested to hear somebody explain to me exactly what the cryogenic treatment of the plastic casing of the plug is supposed to do, apart from make it brittle until it warms up.

This 'burning in' of cables, including mains cables, is a good idea. I particularly like the idea of sending your cables back for a 're-tune' every few months. Great idea; of course, unless you want to be without the use of your equipment for a few days each time while this is done you will have to buy two sets of cables at several thousand Dollars each from er... the same people who are selling you the 'burning in' and 're-tune' service. Nice try, but no thanks.

The original cable which started this thread is fitted with a British Standard BS 1363A 13 A plug. That means it will be connected to a 240 V, still can't get used to calling it 230, 50 Hz. supply. A Blu Ray player will draw a fairly constant few mA from this supply. A current of a few mA at 50 Hz. I could believe that come really grotty power cable on a high-power amplifier might make an audible difference, but in this case, no way.

The MK Toughplug is a good plug; it's the one that I use myself, but without the gold plating, special fuse and 'cryogenic treatment'

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Is there any TV station, recording studio, or postproduction facility anywhere in the world that uses these "boutique" power cables? Or any type of cable for anything that is different from the usual stuff sold by Belden, Canare, Mogami, etc.?

NO. Belden 8451 for audio, Belden 1855A, 1505A, and 1694A for video (or equivalent). Canare and Mogami make some OK audio cable, but I stay with Belden for video.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: