Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » African Queen blu-ray - $40?????

Author Topic: African Queen blu-ray - $40?????
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2010 09:41 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I know AQ has never even been on DVD before and it the last film on the AFI top 100 to be released on disc blah-blah-blah...but what makes Paramount think this title (a single disc at that) is worth $39.99 retail for the blu-ray? This is not the "commemorative box set" (which is $58.99) but just the disc version. Is there something that makes them think I will spend more than this than "Casablanca"? (Casablanca blu-ray $14.99 at Amazon!)

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-22-2010 09:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing new.

I paid $40 for the Criterion Collection version of Robocop on DVD. That's $40 in 1999 dollars. All for an unrated, single disc title with non-anamorphic video.

BTW, you're quoting the full list "MSRP" price for the single disc version of The African Queen. $39.95 is a very very common list price for single disc Blu-ray titles. Not many people will actually pay that much for the BD unless they're silly enough to do their movie disc shopping in shopping mall stores like Sam Goody or fye.

Amazon has the single disc version of The African Queen available on pre-order for $27.95. If you don't like that price, wait a couple or so months after the disc is released. We're already seeing lots of Blu-ray titles being discounted to levels of $15, $10 or even lower just like what happened with DVD when that format went "mainstream."

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Bob, that's what I plan to do. I'll get it from Netflix first just to see it and when it's under $15 I'll pick one up if I still want it. Also I forgot Casablanca had already been on BR in that over-priced collector's edition.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-22-2010 02:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE AFRACAN QUEEN is a great movie, Joe. I saw it when it was released to theatres for the very fist time in 1951 when I was only twelve years old and saw it at least two more times in a theatre and many times on home video. The last time I saw the movie was on a FOX special edition laserdisc in a deluxe box with the same Kathrine Hephburn book that will be come with the Blu-Ray SE of TAQ.. The set was not cheap and I still bought it and might go for the SE of the movie again. THE AFRACAN QUEEN will have a 4K digital scan from the original three strip film elements and is not as exciting as it sounds, I do not remember the film having vibrant color. As far as I can remember, it was a rather drab looking film. The film only featured four speaking rolls. Humprey Bogart, Kathrine Hephburn, Robert Morley and Theodore Bikel. It must have been at least fifteen years since I last saw the movie and I am very anxious to see it again on Blu-Ray. What a treat that will be!

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-22-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that the movie where they sort-of ripped off the story for the John Wayne/Katharine Hepburn movie "Rooster Cogburn?"

I've never seen AQ but "Rooster" is one of my favorite John Wayne movies due to the great chemistry between him and Hepburn.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2010 01:29 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rooster Cogburn (1975) is a sequel to True Grit (1969).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-02-2010 10:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, True Grit is by far the better movie when compared to Rooster.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 10:37 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this on cable a few weeks ago, and I can definately agree the colour was terribly ugly and drab, It actually looked like a colourisation, and I had to look it up I was so convinced.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-03-2010 01:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Mike, True Grit is by far the better movie when compared to Rooster.
John - I know, but my point was that Rooster made use of most of the same story as African Queen. (I've never seen it but I read that somewhere on the internets.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: