Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Determining Proper Subwoofer for Home Theater Room (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Determining Proper Subwoofer for Home Theater Room
Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 10:46 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply put, is there an easy calculator or way to figure out the type of subwoofer that should be used for a home theater room? The room is 17 feet by 14 feet and 12 feet tall.

Also, this is for my roommates dad, he was given a 5000 dollar 'estimate' for a full set of Bowers and Wilkins speakers for the previously mentioned theater room and asked if I could find the best speakers for that price.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-20-2010 11:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Velodyne has never done me any wrong. Don't go cheap! A 12-inch should do it, make sure it has at least 350 watts, preferably more. Hook it up via RCA, not speaker-level inputs. Keep it powered 24/7. Don't let it "sleep" when not in use (I'm not even sure that Velodynes have this option). Saving power is for hippies and I HATE HIPPIES!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-20-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, just do like Brad: stack about a dozen or so subwoofers under the screen (or TV set). If you don't have wind occurring in the room add more subs.
[evil]

If the sub bass in the room is done right it should be able to launch dishes off the kitchen table next door.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-20-2010 11:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. If the neighbors aren't affected, you're doing it wrong. That is unless you insulate your walls with some of that sound blocking shit.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-20-2010 11:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comment overheard by panicked neighbor in Rockwall, TX: "holy shit! It's an earthquake! It's late at night and I've woke up in Haiti!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-20-2010 11:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually no it was never a problem in Rockwall due to the distance. Older setups have supposedly knocked dishes off of the counter in the house next door, although I never saw any broken dish evidence.

Andy, you need one of these sexy beasts!!! All other subwoofers are absolute crap compared to this monster. This can easily induce an instantaneous migraine if you like.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-21-2010 12:52 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! No, that wouldn't be very good in such a small room, such a beast needs more air to move. You'd get a migraine alright, but not very good LFE. Well, maybe if you went into another room while the movie was playing you'd hear some great bass but not in the room where the speaker is. You'll probably need a down-firing subwoofer.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2010 12:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, not at all.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-21-2010 01:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I just checked my Velodyne sub and it is forward firing, but it also has some weird-ass thing on the bottom that when I push it, the forward-firing speaker moves outward. It feels kind of like a driver, but not really. The actual driver can't be more than 8 inches. It is really small, but you can feel the bass on your skin which is pretty rare at actual cinemas. Damn, I should have gone for the 10 or 12 inch. [evil]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-21-2010 02:18 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are subwoofers for girls. [sleep]

Etone Australia made a 24" driver that makes these things look like toys and could blow out candles...

....2 kilometers away. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-21-2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Australia censored subwoofers along with everything else. [Smile]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2010 02:50 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do. Thats why they don't make them anymore. [beer]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-21-2010 09:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EV had the 30" subwoofer (30W). Big monstrosity. Didn't make it sound any better. But it could play deep with relatively little cone movement.

One issue with larger cones though is sag. I've seen cones go off-center...it takes a bit of time (years) and it affects larger cones with weaker compliances (surround/spider) more. Remember, the air gap in a typical driver does not allow for much of any sag. I would suggest a regular schedule of rotating the driver to keep it centered.

Steve

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truth be told, watching a movie in Brad's Rockwall screening room was the first time I've ever experienced a movie explosion blow my hair around.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve.

That may well be the reason Etone discontinued the 24" beast some years ago, but I'm unsure of the actual reason for doing so.

But if cone sag is the reason, couldn't the manufacturer beef up the spider assembly to cater for the increase in cone mass or would that make the whole thing less responsive and unworkable?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: