Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Do I have a bad Blu-Ray disc set?

Author Topic: Do I have a bad Blu-Ray disc set?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-15-2010 08:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very sorry for starting another LOST thread so soon after I had posted the other one last Monday. Because the problem I have with the quality of Season Five in a Blu Ray set, I thought it would be better if I started a separate thread to discuss it.

I spent the last three nights watching Season Four of LOST on DVD and remarked how gorgeous the picture quality was and was looking forward to the BD of Season Five. The DVD picture quality was very much like Blu-Ray and was wondering how much better the BD will be. After I had finished with season Four last night, I decided to spend a few minutes watching the opening of Season Five in Blu Ray, I was expecting to be dazzled but instead I was treated to one of the worst looking picture I ever saw on home video. Even an ordinary DVD picture on my standard television did not look this bad. The only thing the BD picture had in it's favor was picture sharpness. The color had slight magenta cast and the picture was overly contrasty and had a washed out quality.

I bought Season five of LOST only because everyone was raving how great the picture is compared to the DVD and the clips I had seen of LOST in Disney's Blu Ray promos at the beginning of the studio's other BD releases looked great.

Do you suppose I have defective disc? If any of you have this BD set, I would appreciate your comments about the image quality. Best Buy has offered to replace it but only with another Blu-Ray Copy.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-16-2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching the first Season Five episodes on Blu-Ray last night, I discovered there is nothing wrong with the disc set I have. All of the ABC promo shots of their shows in Blu Ray and a new Robert DiNero movie starts out with drab looking color and picture as well as the first couple of minutes of the show during a flash back or forward sequemc and after that the picture explodes into brilliant color. Although the color and picture is great in BD, for some reason, I prefer the DVD image because it looked more film like compared to the BD that looked too sharp and Unnatural looking.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: