Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » New LG 3D home projector

Author Topic: New LG 3D home projector
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2010 06:04 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have $100k for a DCI 3D solution, maybe you can get by with this to show blu-ray 3D movies [Wink]

quote:
The CF3D, is LG and World first portable full HD 3D video projector. With a 7000:1 contrast ratio and 2500 lumens ANSI brightness, the FC3D features the TruMotion 120Hz technology.
Thanks to its dual Engine processor our CF3D will provide stunning HD 3D video. Now if we are yet to know the final price of this beast, LG is targeting to launch this projector within March 2010.

It's only 120hz vs 144hz in theatres, but oh well. First confirmed announced "true" 3D (S3DHD) bluray disc is Disney's A Christmas Carol, to be released 4th quarter 2010. So you'll have something to show your community center with your new 3D projector [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-15-2010 07:39 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FINAL DESTINATION 3D is also already available on 3D BluRay, as if anyone would want to actually pay money for that kaka, but I must say, it would sure show off a 3D system.

I guess it is going be the way it was when LaserDiscs first came out -- people like me were buying anything we could get our hands on, there was so little stuff out there.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
FINAL DESTINATION 3D is also already available on 3D BluRay
So are available in 3D blu-ray Journey to the Center of Earth, Monsters vs Aliens, Jonas Bros. concert, Coraline, Bloody Valentine, Hanna Montana and Polar Express.

I meant that Disney's Christmas Carols is the first blu-ray disc formaly announced in "real" S3DHD blu-ray (vs anaglyph). Probably won't be the first to market or anything, but it's the first announcement I heard of for year's end.

[beer]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2010 04:25 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought - how are the studios going to separate anaglyphic 3D releases from 'Real' 3D releases in their marketing?

What's to stop someone thinking, 'My Bloody Valentine 3D? Bah - I've already got that!'.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-19-2010 10:08 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studios will probably use the new yet crappy looking Blu-ray 3D logo on packaging for the full color 3D BD releases and probably discontinue releasing any movies on Blu-ray with crummy anaglyphic 3D.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-19-2010 06:50 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to see the new Sony 3D TV in the Sony store in the Annapolis mall. It was obviously sequential in nature since the glasses were bulky and you had to turn them on.

I didn't like the effect all that much. I mean the 3D looked ok, but something about it didn't make my brain happy. I'm not sure what it was. It wasn't the sequential nature of the image. I could see that too, but it almost seemed like something happened when the shots changed which made my eyes take a few seconds to reconverge and refocus on the new shot. I don't know what it was, but I don't think I'd sit through a whole movie like that in my home.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2010 07:17 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was probably the decoupling of accomodation and convergence.

In non-geek: throughout all your life you have "focused" your eyes to what you were "seeing". If you were looking at something close to your face, you focused on it and crossed your eyes a little to converge on it.

With stereoscopic 3D (any kind of it that's widely used) you converge to "whatever you are watching", say something flying 10 feet off the screen, BUT YOU FOCUS ON THE SCREEN, which is 10 feet "behind".

Now, there is nothing in our biology that stops us from doing this, just that during decades, looking at nature, we have always cued focus and convergence at the same time. Now, they must be separated.

It's like walking all your live one way and all of the sudden someone tells you that you need to clap your hands at the same time you walk. Nothing particularly hard, but unconfortable for a while until you get used to it. Same here. Eventually, if you watch enough stereoscopic 3D, the disconfort becomes lower through excercise.

In movie theaters, the effect is a little less jarring since seating at a distance of say 30 feet or more from the screen, you convergence and focus are pretty much set at "infinity" except for a few special effects way-out-of-the-screen shots. But you watch TV much closer than that, specially in a store where you probably watched it just a few feet away with your eyes in "near-field vision mode".

Now, having said that ....

Repeated Vergence Adaptation Causes the Decline of Visual Functions in Watching Stereoscopic Television -
M. Emoto and T. Niida and F. Okano -
Journal of Display Technology 1 328-340 (2005)

Long story short ... ooooppsss. The 3D (and virtual reality) industries have always worried about that, but since 3D usually meant watching a 90m or shorter presentation every now and then, it was known not to cause any huge or permanent problems to most people.

A different thing would be to watch 4 hours a day of 3D TV. Specially at under 12' distances.

Also:

CNN - Why I can't watch 3D TVBy Rafe Needleman - January 15, 2010

quote:
When it comes to 3D television, I don't see it. Literally. The technology that's supposed to convince me that a 3D image exists when I look at a 2D screen doesn't work for me.

Nor does it work for a small but significant percentage of the population -- 4 percent to 10 percent, depending on which expert you ask. Me, and millions of people like me, are being left behind by content and hardware companies as they move to 3D.

I don't mean to complain. It's not the end of the world. Flat-viewers, like me, can watch 2D versions of 3D content. I saw "Avatar" in the non-3D version. As a bonus, the theater was nearly empty--the 3D showing down the hall was more crowded. Plus, we didn't have to wear those dorky glasses.

The industry has always known this and factors that 10% of the general population doesn't like/doesn't enjoy/can't even see stereoscopic 3D.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-19-2010 10:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response, Julio, but I don't think that's it. I'm pretty familiar with what you're talking about, and that doesn't bother me at all. I'm going to send you something in PM.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 07:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, we didn't have to wear those dorky glasses
Puh-leeeze. Perhaps it's not the glasses that are "dorky," but the dork who is wearing them. I am just so tired of this whine -don't these guys wear SUNglasses all day at the beach? Do they piss and moan about them?. I was enthralled with anything 3D -- I use to hold up the ViewMaster thing to my face for hours & no one every heard me complain; talk about dorky glasses.

By the way, that quote is by Rafe Needleman, quoted in Julio's post; Julio, you KNOW I am not calling you a dork. Just I don't know were the system puts in the name of poster. I don't see it in there in Preview, but it seems to show up in the actual post. If it does the same here, apologies in advance.

BTW, that disparity between the focal point and the eyes' convergence point, yes that can be odd at first, but our brain is marvelous at correcting for those kinds of anomalies. Watch a few 3D movies and most people should be able to deal with the unnatural thing the eyes are doing. In the real of the marvelous feats the eye/brain combo accomplish, readjusting for the disparity should be a piece of cake for most people, even within the course of a single movie. Imagine once we watch 3D regularly.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
our brain is marvelous at correcting for those kinds of anomalies. Watch a few 3D movies and most people should be able to deal with the unnatural thing the eyes are doing.
Yes, like looking at those posters with the hidden 3D images. At first it was a chore. Now I can walk up to one and focus on it effortlessly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: