Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » LOST location contest

Author Topic: LOST location contest
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-10-2010 08:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know how many of you realize the fact that LOST was and is being filmed in it's entirety on my home island of Oahu here in Hawaii. I first became aware of the production before filming began on it's first season when I saw the airplane fuselage scattered on a north shore beach and was told it was a television movie set. Little did I realize it was for a long running television series. The remainder of Season Six, the conclusion of the series is being filmed now and the first episode will air in a few weeks

To commemorate it's sixth and final season, the Honolulu Advertiser is running a location photo contest. The paper beginning this morning ran a location photo and everyone has an opportunity to guess where on Oahu or in the city of Honolulu the scene was shot. This morning's photograph showed a London street scene from season two showing the street level entrance to the 'Tube" "Underground' transit system. A new photo will be published every day and the person who guess every location correctly will win the entire series on DVD. As far as I can remember, the lobby of the Hawaii Convention Centre was the lobby of the international airport where all of the characters in the show gathered to board the doomed flight that crashed on a remote Pacific island. I also remember a snow covered scene that was suppose to be Berlin, a remote village in Africa, a Los Angeles neighborhood and soooo many other places all over the world that was photographed here on Oahu.

Pardon my pun once again when I said I got lost watching LOST midway through Season Four but I think I will give it another chance by watching the remainder of Season four and continue with the just released Season Five on Blu-Ray. A lot of my friends who love the show said they also got confused at times but they encouraged me to hang in there because everything should make sense by the end of series. I hope it will because I loved the show before it became weird when the show kept flashing into the future.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-10-2010 08:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned in another thread that I recently started watching "Lost" from the very beginning. I'd never watched the show before at all because I missed the beginning and didn't want to try and jump in midway through a complicated storyline. Anyway I'm hooked now and am close to finishing Season 1.

Much of the location photography is quite beautiful and looks very realistic, not at all like a Hollywood set. Must be an expensive show to produce what with all that location shooting and so many of those pesky actors to pay. [Wink]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-10-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
London, Berlin, Africa, Los Angeles? Jeez, how many times did that plane crash and why did they keep getting back on? [evil]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-10-2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

All of the various locations around the world featured flash backs or future segments. in each of the major characters lives. I was able to understand the plot of the story when they used flasbacks but when started to jump into the future, I became confused with the story line. I was told the fith season in Blu Ray is gorgeous as well as the previous seasons.

Yes, Dave, producing LOST in it's entirety in Hawaii is very expensive because the cost involved in shooting exteriors required a lot of effort to make a scene as realistic as possible. A good example is the Season Three Berlin street scene in Winter photographed in downtown Honolulu required tons of ice shaved to look like snow. I cam just image how fast they had to shoot the scenes because of our warm climate.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-12-2010 03:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very glad I gave LOST another chance after resuming watching Season four on DVD. I jumped in at the beginning of disc three and watched all four episodes on the disc last night and I am afraid I am hooked again. while other television series have about twenty episodes, LOST only has about sixteen. I have only four more season four episodes to watch before I begin watching season five in Blu-ray.. Before I do, I think I will go back and watch all of the episodes on the 2nd disc in the season four set and possibly the first disc so I can fully understand what is going on because it has been over a year since I stopped watching the series.

The last time I watched LOST was when I still had my old Sony Trinitron standard TV setup. Although I thought the SD picture quality was great, it cannot compare watching the DVD up converted by my BD player on my new HDTV. If I was at my brother's home watching LOST on his BD/HDTV and not knowing it was from a DVD and he told me the playback was from a BD, I would believe him. The DVD picture quality is that good!

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: