Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blu-Ray storage

Author Topic: Blu-Ray storage
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blu-Ray discs are suppose to have more storage space than DVDs but you would not know that with some bare bone titles that have been released on BD compared to the DVD version. A classic example is the Academy Award winning film CRASH from Lionsgate that had upset An Lee's BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN for the coveted prize. I once had the two disc special edition of CRASH on DVD that had tons of bonus content as well as a commentary track but all the Blu-Ray disc had was only the movie and a very lousy looking trailer for other Lionsgate movies on Blu Ray. You would think because the disc featured only the movie, the picture quality would be something special. WRONG! The picture quality on the BD looked like it was only a little better than the DVD. I suspect if I still had the DVD and played CRASH on my HDTV with my BD player, it will be comparable to the Blu ray and perhaps even better. The only good thing about the Blu Ray disc of CRASH was the nice price I paid for it. $7.95 at Costco.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 04:52 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude the problem is Lionsgate loved to double and triple dip the disc buying public. Look at Rambo, T2 films.

Kyle Thiessen
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2010 11:45 PM      Profile for Kyle Thiessen   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Thiessen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I can't quite figure out is why they can't just port the special features from the DVD over to the Blu-ray, even if that means keeping the special features in standard def. "Cast Away" and "The Fifth Element" come to mind; I've been tempted to purchase the Blu-ray editions, but then I just get annoyed that I'd have to keep my DVDs of those titles if I want to watch the supplements. So I don't buy the Blu-rays and I suffer through the standard definition.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-10-2010 11:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another classic example is HOOSIERS, Kyly. The film was directed by David Anspaugh,
the son my late friend, Larry Anspaugh who was a professional photographer in Decatur, Indiana and his also deceased wife Marie. I have the two disc special edition DVD with all kinds of extra special features but the Blu-Ray is as bare as they come with only the theatrical trailer. The only thing that made me buy the bare bone Blu-Ray of HOOSIERS was the attractive price of $9.95.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-11-2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest reason why many special features from previous DVDs get dropped when the movie gets ported over to Blu-ray is money.

Yeah, there's usually more than enough room to fit all those previous DVD extras on the new Blu-ray in SD or even in HD. But the studio often must re-negotiate the rights for all those extra features in order to include them on the new Blu-ray. This was a really big problem when the Blu-ray format was new. There just wasn't enough of a customer base of Blu-ray player owners to justify the extra expense for those extras, especially on catalog titles with less popularity. With Blu-ray increasingly going "mainstream" and gaining millions of new customers the issue of including previous DVD extras is less and less of a problem. However, some things still do get dropped. One example, the "webisodes" extras from the Battlestar Galactica TV series. Those aren't included in the current complete series Blu-ray box set and won't be included in the new one coming in April with better packaging because of fees Universal would have to pay to the actors in those webisodes.

Kyle Thiessen
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 06:58 PM      Profile for Kyle Thiessen   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Thiessen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The biggest reason why many special features from previous DVDs get dropped when the movie gets ported over to Blu-ray is money.
Well, if they insist. But I can't be the only person who didn't buy those titles due to their lack of supplements.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: