Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Here we go: tons of 3D TV's and blu-ray players announced (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Here we go: tons of 3D TV's and blu-ray players announced
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 09:53 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read the news to check out model announcements at CES from all the major manufacturers on 3D-enabled blu-ray players and TV's.

http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&q=3d%20tv%20ces

It's the expected, but LG is investing in a twist of the time-sequential system by integrating a "large zscreen" in front of the TV screen.

The use of time-sequential 3D allows for full HD resolution per eye w/o much an increase in cost as the panel was already 480hz capable to begin with (BTW TI based projectors used in DCI top at 144hz there goes the home theater being superior in this parameter to a $100k DCI cinema projector...)

The downfall is the halving (or even less) of the light and the introduction of temporal disparities (which, at 480hz, we must admit must be unnoticeable to everyone).

But, and here comes the important refinement to the process: LG has engaged in a smart zscreen design which is line-sequential (instead of RealD's dumb full-frame one), which means that a LOT more light can go through and the temporal disparities are further reduced to a fraction of what little they already are.

I.e. the bottom part of one eye sees an image and SIMULTANEOUSLY the other eye is seeing the top part of the other frame. No need for any eye to go completely black at any time (ideally). No full-frame blanking interval waiting for the active glasses to go from full-transparent to darker-darker-darker-full black.

-

In a traditional implementation, like Sony's or Panasonic, one of the eyes would be seeing full black (=no light, =less brightness). Also, since they use active glasses, they also need an additional blanking interval to allow for the syncronization and switching (can't do all that fast running on batteries from the glasses).

It's more expensive to implement than a full passive retarder filter, which costs mere cents to manufacture against a line-addresable active zscreen, which can cost between $100 and $300 depending on the size, but a passive filter needs a doubling in resolution anyway, so the cost is offset.

It looks like LG may have found the perfect balance between cost and performance. And using passive glasses to boot. I wonder how it does ghosting wise, as the approach could backfire in that department, depending on how fast the LC elements can really switch (in spite of marketing claims of 480 and 600hz). I guess we'll soon find out.

Most of the stuff is coming in the third quarter of 2010. 3D fans, get your wallets ready. They are planning to charge a premium to the early adopters. It's being figured around $4000 for a 55" 3D TV and 3D blu-ray player companion. This will come down to the high $2K's in a additional year or two.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2010 09:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought LG's 7mm thick LCD screen tv was a far more important announcement.

Mark

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 10:08 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the 7mm total width helps in the whole equation (angle of vision greatly improves, better angular performance from a zscreen=less ghosting).

Since most manufacturers are betting on expensive battery-operated active glasses, I think an inexpensive, full HD-per-eye, passive glasses approach that doesn't suck in cost or brightness is an improvement. And as a by-product, it further reduces the "3D flicker". If the crosstalk (ghosting) doesn't suck, it's a winner [beer]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-07-2010 01:07 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7mm? That's too damn thick...I'm waiting for a TV that comes in a spray can, so I can just spray it on a wall.

Also I can't think of anything less desirable than watching 3-D on TV. If I was a huge 3-D fan, I guess I'd be a little peeved to find out my brand new flat screen needs to be replaced already. I wonder if the new whiz-bang stuff coming out at such a breakneck pace could eventually make people start getting wary of trying each new thing?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-07-2010 02:06 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't happened with computers yet - I see no reason why TVs will be any different.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm waiting for a TV that comes in a spray can, so I can just spray it on a wall.

Give them a few more years... They'll at least have one that rolls up and down... I just hope it doesn't have all the wrinkles that are shown in the Hurley Thread!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing how this war never ends: TV manufacturers trying to keep people at home ...

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-07-2010 12:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a decent summary story from some Canadian publication:

quote: marketnews
As CES officially opens, it's already clear that 3D will be one of the big themes of the show. And given the success that James Cameron's 3D blockbuster Avatar had at the box office over the holidays, consumers are pretty excited about 3D. Speaking at Panasonic's 2010 CES Press Conference on January 5, Avatar Producer Jon Landau said, "3D is not about gags; it's about creating a window into a world. I think we'll see 3D become ubiquitous."

As reported previously on this site and in Marketnews and Here's How magazines, the 3D TV systems arriving this year will employ active liquid-crystal glasses. When displaying 3D content, 3D HDTVs show alternating left-and right-eye frames. The lenses on the glasses are controlled by a transmitter on the TV, opening and shutting rapidly so that each eye sees only the image intended for it. The eye-brain integrates these images into a complete 3D picture. Panasonic demonstrated its version of this system at CES and during roadshows held in 2009; and I found it very effective.

In late 2009, the Blu-ray Disc Association ratified a standard for 3D Blu-ray, paving the way for 3D Blu-ray players and software.

At CES 2010, several manufacturers announced plans to ship 3D HDTVs, Blu-ray players and home-theatre systems in the first half. Some TVs will be fully 3D-capable, and will be supplied with 3D glasses. Others will be 3D-ready, capable of driving an optional 3D transmitter for controlling the glasses.

The next version of Panasonic's V-series Viera plasmas will feature 3D. They'll be available in 50", 54", 58" and 65" screen sizes, along with a 3D Blu-ray player. This summer, Sony will ship a 60" 3D LED-edgelit LCD, complete with two pairs of 3D glasses, as well as a 3D-ready 52" LED-backlit model and a Blu-ray 3D player.

At its press conference, Samsung said one-third of the models in its lineup of LED-illuminated LCD televisions for 2010 will feature 3D, including the pencil-thin 9000 series. Samsung will also offer 3D CCFL-illuminated LCDs, plasmas, Blu-ray players and home-theatre systems. The televisions will have 3D processor that can create a 3D effect with 2D content, Samsung said.

Toshiba's forthcoming CELL TVs will feature 3D. The term "CELL TV" refers to the televisions' eight-core video processor, which the company says is 143 times more powerful than the processors in competing televisions. The CELL processor's functions include the creation of 3D effects from 2D content. There will be five models in two series, with 46", 55" and 65" screen sizes, all of them LED-backlit LCDs with 512-zone local dimming.

LG's ultra-thin Infinia LE9500 47" and 55" LED-backlit TVs will be 3D-ready. The company will offer a 3D Blu-ray player later in 2010.

What to watch in 3D: Also at CES, manufacturers announced partnerships to drive the volume of 3D content. Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of DreamWorks Animation, and Frederic Rose, President and CEO of Technicolor, visited the Samsung Press Conference to officially present the first 3D Blu-ray release to Samsung: 2009's Monsters vs. Aliens. DreamWorks decided in 2007 to make all future releases in 3D, Katzenberg noted. "3D is a wonderful way to reduce piracy, and it provides a premium experience for moviegoers," he stated. Of the top-10 performing movies in 2009, four were 3D titles, he observed.

Panasonic announced a partnership with the U.S. satellite-TV service DirecTV to create three dedicated 3D channels, with content ranging from movies to sports to documentaries. A firmware update will allow DirecTV satellite receivers to display these 3D channels, which will launch in June.

Sony announced an agreement with Discovery Communications and IMAX Corporation to develop a 3D TV network that will launch in 2011. "We view 3D as the future of television," stated Discovery President and CEO David Zaslav at Sony's CES 2010 Press Conference." The channel will feature documentary and children's programming from Discovery, IMAX, Sony Pictures Entertainment and other providers. Sony is also a sponsor of ESPN's 3D sports venture, and is providing 3D cameras for this summer's FIFA World Cup of Soccer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-07-2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
nd given the success that James Cameron's 3D blockbuster Avatar had at the box office over the holidays, consumers are pretty excited about 3D.
That's dumb. People would have been just as excited about that movie if it had been 2D. Giving 3D all the credit is stupid. But I'm sure the 3D pundits will run with that idea.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2010 04:35 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about that, Mike. My dad, uncle and I are going to see it next week. That's three tickets they wouldn't have sold if not for the 3D. Are you suggesting people are going for the story? [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the "word of mouth" thing on how well this movie was put together for 3D viewing and finally something that's not so cartoonish, kid related CGI stuff as with the previous 3D films that has been released.

Finally, something for adults to get excited in viewing 3D.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-07-2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
Are you suggesting people are going for the story?
Well actually, Mr. & Mrs. Joe Sixpack and all the teenage girls are probably loving the story. Simple love stories can sell pretty well...look at Titanic! [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-07-2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just show me what I need to sync the eyes up properly, and I just might be in.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 08:33 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who is attending the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas this week and saw various brands of 3-D HDTV and said the new format was fantastic. Terry said the best angle is viewing from the centre. The sides are ok but not as good. It sounds like the problem I have had watching Real D movies. Watching from dead centre was great but the sides was not too good.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-08-2010 10:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not surprised by the viewing angle thing.

Anyone notice just how the new Blu-ray 3D logo is sucktastically bad? Horrible! Not that the Blu-ray logo was great for starters (the "swoosh" design element has been a laughing stock for years). This new brand mark is just lame in the manner of someone cranking out the design during a quick 5 minute meeting.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: