Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » ESPN launching first 3D television network

Author Topic: ESPN launching first 3D television network
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 10:13 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
ESPN 3D

ESPN launching first 3D television network

Espn 3d By Georg Szalai and James Hibberd

ESPN is launching the industry's first 3D television network.

The sports programmer is making a big bet on the format, announcing plans introduce a 3D TV network this summer.

The Walt Disney Co. unit said Tuesday that the new channel -- ESPN 3D -- will feature at least 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning June 11 with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match South Africa vs. Mexico.

Other 3D events will include up to 25 World Cup matches, the 2011 BCS National Championship Game, college basketball and football, and the Summer X Games.

"ESPN's commitment to 3D is a win for fans and our business partners," said ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer. "ESPN 3D marries great content with new technology to enhance the fan's viewing experience and puts ESPN at the forefront of the next big advance for TV viewing."

ESPN has been testing ESPN 3D for more than two years. For example, it showed a USC-Ohio State college football game in select theaters and on USC's campus.

To watch the content, viewers must have a 3D-ready TV set, and might need a new set-top box. And yes, viewers also must wear 3D glasses.

Plus, the added cost of producing content in 3D will likely get passed onto the consumer, resulting in another cable pay tier similar to current high-definition packages.

That ESPN would be the first network to announce a 3D channel is no surprise. Sports was a key driver in viewers embracing HD, while ESPN constantly explores new technological advances to enhance its content. ESPN is also the most widely distributed cable network.

"This is a turning point for 3D," Consumer Electronics Association CEO Gary Shapiro told USA Today.

The recent box office success of "Avatar," which recently passed $1 billion worldwide and is set to become the #2 movie of all time behind director James Cameron's own "Titanic," has helped prove the 3D format can draw a stunning number of viewers.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy, I hope it's anaglyphic!!!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-05-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's anything like what I've seen at the last couple of NAB shows, it'll use glasses similar to Dolby's.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-05-2010 10:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just not sure how a 3D sports TV network is feasible, at least in the near term. There's a number of different, obvious drawbacks in trying to shoot and broadcast sports in 3D.

We all know this sports 3D thing (and any other 3D cable network) will have to be some form of 720p. There is no sufficient bandwidth to do it in 1080. Plus you have that 60Hz clock cycle thing the broadcasters can't abandon. Home viewers will need some new cable box that takes a 720p/60 signal, decodes the 3D sync data included and splits it into two 720p/30 streams for left eye and right eye views.

Now how the hell is this going to work with any existing TV sets? My somewhat new-ish 120Hz Sony Bravia XBR4 52" TV is pretty kick ass, but it and its HDMI 1.3 ports may be too antiquated to support any 3D sync functions, much less be able to work with any shutter glasses.

I paid $2999 plus sales tax for my TV set (and more coin for the extended warranty). I don't feel like blowing a bunch of money for a new 3D enabled TV already. That get's to an even bigger problem:

Where the living f*** are all the 3D TV subscribers!!?

"Oh! But IT'S 3D!!! It will look GREAT-O-RAMA!! Everyone will be falling over themselves to upgrade!"

Really?

Ever since I worked at a local broadcast TV station back in the early 1990s I've kind of paid attention to where the cameras are placed at events like parades, TV commercials and sports broadcasts since it reminds me of my own experiences doing that stuff. Look where the cameras are placed at the most popular American sporting events: FAR AWAY. You're not going to get a vivid 3D-like depthy-phiggidy-poppin-ass image when the camera is far away from the action.

Sports like football, baseball and basketball will have to be shot in very different ways in order for the 3D effect to be compelling. That nosebleed seat view of the football field or baseball field is really going to feel like the nosebleed view when the action of interest is flat and distant and the only 3D objects in view are the assholes trying to wave their arms in front of the camera. Blah!

I think soccer would suck oily ass in 3D. Wow, is it really 3D? It still looks 2D because of that giant soccer field.

In order for 3D football, baseball and basketball to work the cameras will need serious redesigns and still need to be much closer to the action than usual in order for the players to pop out from the background. If the broadcasters use the same distant camera placements the 3D effect is going to be fleeting at best.

Ironically, 3D sports TV would be better for those sports not quite so many people like. Bowling? Yeah, actually I can imagine bowling working very well in 3D. Poker tournaments? That table ain't very big. Bring out the 3D river cam! Trick shot pool table tourneys? Ping pong? Those will work in 3D.

Mixed martial arts would probably work well since that cage isn't very big. Maybe SpikeTV should be the network looking to jump into 3D sports. They can do that as well as 3D girls jumping on trampolines. I might be willing to upgrade my TV set for that!

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 11:59 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to argue with the overall agreement of the dificulty to make GOOD and "right" 3D out of many sports, but just letting you know that you can "scale" the 3D effect with distance by simply increasing the interaxial between the lenses/cameras.

Thus, telephoto shots can have nearly as much depth (separation between objects) as you want, and with post-processing or convergence control, you can decide what objects will be in front or behind the screen at any distance.

Although the effect of this, called hyperstereo, brings some (manageable) 3D distortions similar to the 2D distortions you get when you use a (extreme) telephoto or (extreme) angular, but in the z-axis instead of x/y.

The most direct effect of non-corrected overuse of hyperstereo is that things look "fine" (with a lot of "3D"), but they look like miniatures for some reason you can't pinpoint (until you read the science behind it).

The short version is: it's not hard at all to do "exagerated 3D" in sports to compensate for the distance and have it look OK and with plenty of "3D" on the telly.

But to do 3D-sports right, .... that's a whole new level of technical challenge.

Not even Avatar does 3D right. Haven't seen it personally in 3D, but comments on professional stereography forums point to all sort of errors, such as frequent specular reflection disparities (long, boring, technical explanation can be included if there is enough interest, but not recommended [Wink] ).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-06-2010 02:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The factor of making big objects look little is one of the main problems I have imagined 3D sports would have. I think one can't simply just add another giant-sized telephoto zoom lens on one of those full size studio cameras you see on platforms at NFL games. The distance between camera eye views will be too great for realistic looking 3D. Instead you'll get exaggerated 3D with the objects looking like pieces on a board game.

This reminds me of one of the odd problems with IMAX 3D. The 3D quality is great, but in being realistic looking 3D the objects no longer seem huge like they do when merely in 2D. With doing sports in 3D the object size problem could be worse: objects are smaller than they appear in real life.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 02:59 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right. And another bonus-reason why most 3D films nowadays are either animated films, where it's OK for the characters to look like miniatures (think Coraline or Toy Story) or why Cameron was smart with Avatar to insists on the "brain-notion" that the blue Aliens are 4 meters (13 feet?) tall, so when you see them "miniaturized" you are not sure of the scale you are suppossed to be seeing it as they look like people but are suppossed to be supertall.

And then, when you see the aliens next to real humans, your brain doesn't reject the notion the people look like miniatures in wide shots because, well, compared to the tall humanoid aliens, people ARE suppossed to look like miniatures. Same thing with the giant girl of Monsters vs Aliens ... you just weren't sure how tall she was or how tall the other monsters were ... it was "unreal" and thus accepted by the brain as normal even on wide hyperstereo shots that could make them look like miniatures.

But you have to be careful with the 3D stuff or you can end up with something looking like a doll of Michael Jackson instead of the real thing flying in Captain EO.

Imax has the advantage that the screen is (was) so huge to begin with, you can actually scale depth to appropiate dimensions on most types of shots. But on a smallish theatre screen, that's a whole different story, specially when you can only "shoot/post" the movie "once" for a wide range of screen sizes. Another reason why Cameron rightly insisted in using the largest screens available for Avatar.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: