Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » HARRY POTTER Blu-Ray Ultimate Collection

Author Topic: HARRY POTTER Blu-Ray Ultimate Collection
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a frequent movie theatre patron up until a few years ago and for some reason, I had never bothered to see any of the Harry Potter films on the big screen. I must admit I was very excited to see the movies on DVD when they were released and bought the first film HARRY POTTER & THE SORCERER'S STONE as a blind buy and never cared for it at all and only watched about the first forty minutes. When the second film HARRY POTTER & THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS came out on DVD, I did not buy it but only rented it and watched it. Like the first, I got bored and did not watch the complete film. After the experience with the first two films, I never bothered with all of the HP films when the came out on DVD and Blu Ray - until now.

I kept hearing only good things about the first two editions of the new Harry Potter Ultimate collection especially the Blu-Ray and could not resist when Costco had them on sale during the Christmas shopping season for $26.95 each for both the standard DVD and the Blu-Ray and bought them both. I watched the first one last night (The Sorcerer's Stone) and was stunned by the exquisite quality of the picture and sound in Blu-Ray and soon found myself enjoying the film as well. I now realize, I had to see the Harry Potter films in a theatre or on a high quality home high definition HD system to fully enjoy these films. Trying to watch the first two films on my old Sony Trinitron TV just sucked and I can see why I did not like them at first.

There will be a total of eight volumes in the Harry Potter Ultimate series Warner Home Video will release and everthing one would like to know about the Harry Potter movies will be covered on the extra two discs in the BD set and three on the DVD. There are two versions of the film in each set, the theatrical and extended. Sound format on the theatrical is DTS Mater Audio 6.1 and the extended version features DTS Master Audio 5.1. The theatrical version also features an introduction by the director Chris Columbus and storyboards shown on the bottom right of the screen during the film. I understand cast members are also featured during this playback mode. Each set also comes with a beautifully illustrated book about each film and two cards featuring images of each character.
On top of all of the abundant special features, the set also include and extra disc that features a digital copy of the movie for PC & Macs. All of the discs, book and picture Cards comes in a very sturdy and attractive case.

I feel fortunate to have been giving another opportunity to watch the Harry Potter films and finally enjoying them,. In my opinion, only Blu-Ray can do that!

I am very excited about watching the 2nd movie in the Ultimate series on Blu-Ray, HARRY POTTER & THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS tonight and I was told it is a better movie than the first. I can hardly wait!

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2010 06:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But its NOT the "ultimate" set, because they will just churn out a "phenomenal" or an "orgasmic" set a few years down the line with new digital enhancements and more video of the actors saying "wow it was a really neato experience working with everyone like everyone was so cool and it was just awesome, you know, like totally awesome working with these people and being part of the magic of this awesome and great part of my life and I think I have to poop now and its gonna be awesome."

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2010 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Brad, that is for the STAR WARS movies.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 06:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Brad. I agree with you about a super ultimate set down the road after the last Harry Potter film is released with all of the movies in one gigantic set like they are doing with television programs such as WEST WING, SIX FEET UNDER and THE SOPRANOS. I thought about waiting for such a set to come out but after thinking about it, I decided to collect the current ultimate collection because I doubt many of the stuff I am getting now will not be included in the 'Super Set" Yes, there probably might be some new material not available now will be in in the future set but I do not care about them because I am not into all that extra stuff found on DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.. Buying the Ultimate Harry Potter collection now is easy on the wallet because I can slowly buy them two at a time every couple of months instead of coming up with a lot of cash when the 'Super Set' is released in about a year or two.

-Claude

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I bought Blu-Ray copies of both Sorcerers Stone and Chambers of Secrets for 8 dollars each at a local pawn shop. I havent watched Chamber yet but was dissapointed at the picture quality of Sorcerers Stone. Didnt look all that better then the DVD version to me. From a previous purchase, I have a copy of Prisoner of Azkaban and that at least looks fantastic. Also my HD-DVDs of Goblet and Pheonix look great too. Just my experiences I guess...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-13-2010 05:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Both of the first two Harry Potter Ultimate Editions on Blu-Ray are not the same pressings you have. They have been spruced up a bit and the picture is said to be much sharper due to more more bit space because only the movies in both theatrical and extended via seamless branching is on their respective discs. All of the extra features are found on a additional Blu-Ray disc and DVD. Even the sound is better with DTS HD Master Audio. The theatrical cut has a DTS 7.1 track and the extended features DTS 5.1 sound.

I have watched both films and they were gorgeous and cannot wait to add the remaining films to my collection when Warner releases them in a Ultimate Edition like they did with the first two movies.

-Claude

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thanks for the info Claude, well that sucks for me but at least I didnt pay too much for them. I guess I will have to get the updated set at some point.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: