Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » A PERFECT GETAWAY 2009 (DVD)

Author Topic: A PERFECT GETAWAY 2009 (DVD)
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-31-2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I had mentioned in another thread, I was not able to get my hands on the two available copies of A PERFECT GETAWAY on Blu-Ray because they were already rented by the time the store opened 8 minutes early. I had to settle for a DVD copy of the movie and watched it last night. Once again, to enjoy movies like this, you have to disengage your brain before you watch it and that is what I did by allowing myself to flow with the tide and brush aside any holes in the plot and there were several in this movie. Once you had done that, you are in store for a very good time in my humble opinion.

A PERFECT GETAWAY is a movie about a newly wedded couple who travel to Hawaii on their honeymoon and decide to go on a eleven mile hike in the Kalalau Valley on the island of Kauai. The couple played by Miila Jovovich and Steve Zahn soon meet another couple played by Timothy Olyphant and Kiele Shanchez.
Just about the time they begin their hike, the newlyweds learn about a grisly murder of another couple on their honeymoon in Honolulu and the suspected killers are somewhere nearby on their island. It does not take too long for the newlyweds to suspect the other couple they have just met are the killers as depicted up until that point. SPOILER ALERT Do not read beyond this point if you plan to watch this movie.

When both couples arrives at a secluded beach, the table is totally turned around when I learned the couple I was made to believe were the newlyweds were actually the killers and couple suspected as the killers were the 'good guys'. I thought this plot twist was very ingenious and kind of reminded me of THE SIXTH SENSE Starring Bruce Willis and THE OTHERS starring Nicole Kidman that had a sudden plot twist that made the viewer realize nothing is what they seem to be.

The image quality of the DVD when played on my BD player and my 1080p HDTV was excellent and like THE MARINE 2 I saw the previous evening looked like I was watching them on Blu-Ray.

Although the movie is set in Hawaii, much of the film was photographed in Puerto Rico except for some ariel shots of the Kalalau Valley and the Napilii coast. Although the scenes shot in Puerto Rico looked good, it did not even come close to how much better it would have looked if the film makers had shot at the actual location in Hawaii.
There was a time when filmmakers used to come to Hawaii to photograph scenes for films such as JURASSIC PARK, KARATE KID 2, WINDTALKER and many others, It seem our Governor has foolishly shut the door on film making in Hawaii when she disbanded the Hawaii State Film Commission office due to budget cuts. If it was not for the good work this office has done in the past, LOST would not have been photographed in Hawaii and so many other films.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2010 09:14 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude - It looks great on BR too! Glad I didn't read your post first though.

As for a DVD that represents the beauty of Hawaii I saw a much better one recently!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: