Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Rental Blu-Ray disc quality

Author Topic: Rental Blu-Ray disc quality
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 05:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if people who rent Blu-Ray movies are more intelligent than those who rent DVDs but it seem Bd users are more careful when they handle rental discs. There were many times when I would receive DVDs from Blockbuster Online only to discover some of them were so badly scratched, they were unplayable. I have had no problem with rental Blu-Ray discs even those that have been in circulation for a period of time. In most cases, the surface of the disc is spotless with no smudge or fingerprints. I have already bought several used BDs from Blockbuster and all of the were in brand new condition. When Blockbuster rents Blu-Ray discs in a store, they are placed in standard DVD Amway cases but I can buy them with the their original cases that have been stored in the back and never used. I just purchased a used BD of THE PROPOSAL and THE DEEP today for $25.00 from Blockbuster and walked away with two discs that look as good as new including the cover.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-15-2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had an issue with a rented BD movie. One did sound a bit odd in the player as if it wasn't properly centered or whatnot (slight buzzing), even after ejecting and re-inserting, but it played just fine.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 05:54 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they made BluRays differently to DVD's in that it's almost impossible to scratch them.

Michael Barry knows more. I'll sms him and ask him to chime in.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2009 07:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to rain on any Blu-ray parade, but those types of discs absolutely can be scratched. I have come across rental discs that have been scratched or worse.

The term "scratch resistant" (used in certain BD marketing) does not mean "scratch proof." Blu-ray discs must be handled with care.

Additionally, Blu-ray discs don't like gunk such as fingerprint oil smeared on them. I've had a few rental BDs fail to load in my PS3 due to fingerprint smudges. After gently wiping the fingerprints off the disc with a soft cloth the BD loaded properly.

Overall, I've had pretty good luck with BD rentals. Tech enthusiasts, home theater fans, etc. are generally very good about handling optical discs properly. For the past 3 years BD has been a high end item with a limited audience, an audience of which arguably has more on the ball than the general public.

When DVD was still a high end item I also had generally good experiences with DVD rentals. But once the product went mainstream and "the great unwashed" began to indulge in DVD goodness the rate of rental disc abuse skyrocketed.

Once Blu-ray is a mainstream item we'll see lots of ways how those types of rental discs can be screwed up by piggy people with no manners and very little common sense. "Let the baby load the movie! It's no problem is he drools on the disc, chews on it or scrubs the floor with it. The video store has lots more copies!"

When that becomes the new normal, the pressure will be on to rent a copy of that new release on Blu-ray early Tuesday morning. That way you can get the first viewing before the pigs ruin the disc inside of a week's time.

This sounds like good marketing material for a movie downloads service. Except you're listening to crickets chirping while you wait for the download to finish loading.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 11:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up to several dozen BDs rented from Netflix. I always inspect them before playing, and have yet to see any serious scratches. Have never had one fail to play or exhibit any playback glitches.

I've rented far fewer DVDs and did run into a dud recently: Neil Young's Prairie Wind. It was scratched all to hell and stuttered/skipped at around the midway point during playback. I tried carefully polishing it with Novus #2, which did help some but there was still one section that just would not play. I stuck a note on it when I returned it to Netflix saying "SCRATCHED - SKIPS AND STUTTERS DURING PLAYBACK". Wonder if they took it out of circulation.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 07:53 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience as a rental store person is that the scratch-resistant coating absolutely helps. The disc can still be rendered unplayable but it takes really serious abuse (compared to regular DVDs) for this to happen.

If there's a light scratch on a Blu Ray, then whatever caused it would probably have created a really deep scratch on a DVD by comparison.

Scratch-resistant coatings are standard on Blu Ray but I really wish they were standard on DVDs too. That would help me to do my job enormously!

At my store, we check our discs carefully when they're returned and clean off all fingerprints, food and other forms of grease (don't ask!) and set aside any discs that we suspect may not play for testing. Our test procedure involves playing the movie in a real DVD player from beginning to end in real time. If it locks up, we attach a note with the chapter/time that the problem occurred and the disc is then resurfaced with an Azuradisc 1600 machine. We then replay the previously unplayable section. If it works, the disc has passed and can be reshelved. If not, the disc is immediately binned and a new copy re-ordered. If the disc is out of print we obtain one second hand - from eBay if necessary.

This is a lengthy procedure, but it's worth it IMHO. As a result, our defect rate is virtually non-existent: it is exceedingly rare that a customer cannot play a disc due to surface imperfections.

The main reasons that unplayable discs come back to our store is incompatible firmware in the customer's machine, or simply a machine who's laser is on its way out. They will complain that they cannot load the disc at all, or that they cannot get past the main menu, or it locks up after chapter 3, or dies at the layer change. 99% of the time, we cannot reproduce the problem on the store's machine. We always offer them another copy but just as often, the same problems occur on another copy.

As far as scratch-resistant coatings go, there was a company that offered DVD distributors the option of hard-coating standard DVD discs. For a few years, many rental-specfic titles would ship with a hard-coating. One that comes to mind is 'Monster' (Charlize Theron, Christina Ricci). The hard coating was extremely successful: each of my copies has over 100 rents on them, yet they look like new. Not a single mark! Comparable titles from around the same era look much more worn and have even needed resurfacing to keep them going.

So the process absolutely works. The downside is that hard-coated titles (including Blu Ray) cannot be resurfaced at all. Once they are ruined, that's that. Having said that, I've never actually needed to repair one!

I've now got nearly 1200 Blu Ray discs and about 80 or so PS3 games, and I've only had to replace one disc. The customer responsible for that has been told to be more careful, and to his credit, he has been handling his discs perfectly ever since.

I fear that Bobby may be correct and that as Blu Ray gets more popular we will see more Blu Ray damage. I'll be doing my best to identify and warn folks who ruin my Blu Ray discs. If that customer cannot improve their ways, I would prefer to let that customer go than to make other customers suffer through defective discs.

Finally, the DVD plant that pressed 'Monster' here in Sydney - the only one - no longer offers the hard-coating service due to lack of demand. They stopped that service several months ago. I find this amazing, because here's a technology that actually works, and fixes one of the major problems for rental stores entirely. Apparently, the extra cost per DVD charged to the distributor was about $0.20. One distributor reasoned with me that hard coating doesn't increase their sales, only their costs. I reasoned with them that I would gladly pay an extra dollar per DVD for hard coating because it makes my life and the life of my customers easier. Clearly not all store owners see it this way.

What I find really amazing is there's a market for machines to fix discs, but that there's supposedly no market for a process to make discs that don't need repairing. I cannot get my head around that.

What all this boils down to finally, for me, is this: hard-coating or no, can't we simply learn, as a society, to handle discs by the edges? Because that would solve pretty much everything. Why is it that after decades or LP records and CDs do we still not quite understand to simply not touch the playing surface of a disc? Are we really that mentally challenged as a species? I notice that the majority of disc damage comes from the family section of the store. That means that children are given the discs to handle by their parents before they are capable of handling them correctly. Is this good parenting? I'm not a parent yet, but to me it's quite simple. If the child lacks the motor or comprehension skills to handle a disc without harming it, then the parent should be the one to handle it for them. Once the child is capable of understanding how to handle a disc, then it seems that the parent should instruct them on the correct handling of same. Am I missing something??

A long post, but I hope that helps!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-20-2009 08:07 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, a question -- from what you said, if a disc gets damaged beyond repair and you find it is out of print, wouldn't it make sense to have a protection copy at the ready of every disc that the store purchases from which a dupe could be made?

The copyright law has always allowed the purchaser to make a "protection" copy in the event the original is damaged. In fact, software used to come with instructions on how to make a copy of the floppy disc. They usually instructed you to put the backup floppy away for safe keeping for such time as the original would no longer be read.

Seems like this would be a good remedy for the "out of print" situation. Suppose you can't get the title on eBay? Seems it would make sense to have your own backup disc on file.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 08:27 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,

That's a good question. I suspect that although you're allowed to make a backup, I'm not certain of the legality of renting out the duplicate. That rule may apply to private use only.

Also, I'm not sure how you'd go about making a copy of a dual-layer DVD without any loss in quality.

For really rare out of print titles, I've just started a deposit system to ensure that the disc is looked after correctly. I hope that works. [Smile]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 12:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Barry
no longer offers the hard-coating service due to lack of demand
And why would there be a demand? After all, the distributors do not make extra money by making rental discs long lasting, they make money by selling discs.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 10:44 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The calculations would have to be made, but they could offset the foregone extra revenue from damaged replacement discs with the extra revenue by increasing their margins for each and every DVD sold.

So if the extra cost for hard-coating the DVD is 20 cents, they could charge an extra $1.20 per DVD and increase their profit margin by $1 for every DVD sold.

This would have to go some way to compensate for lost sales for replacing damaged DVDs and they may actually come out ahead.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: