Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » LA BOHEME 2008 Blu-Ray

Author Topic: LA BOHEME 2008 Blu-Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-11-2009 06:11 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved opera ever since my pre teen years and used to listen to the Metropolitan Opera broadcast every Saturday afternoon during the winter months on radio as well as the Voice of Firestone. Music was a important curriculum in our public school system in Hawaii when I was in grade school when we would listen to the Standard School Broadcasts in our classroom and that also exposed me to more great works by the masters. Beside radio, I would sometime have the rare opportunity to see filmed operas at a movie theatre. I recall seeing and enjoying two opera movies. One was the 1954 opera film from Italy of Giuseppe Verdi's AIDA with Sophia Loren who had her voice dubbed by Renata Tebaldi. One plus factor about this movie beside the music was a view of Sophia Loren's bare breasts. Another one I saw was a co production between a italian film Company and Japan's Toho studio of Giacomo Puccini's MADAMA BUTTERFLY starring Kaoru Yachigusa as Butterfly. I do not remember who had dubbed her voice. It was not as good as the French version released in 1995 with celebrated performers Ying Huang as Butterfly and Richard Trexell as Pinkerton.

As much as I love BUTTERFLY, AIDA and many others, LA BOHEME also by Puccini has alway been my favorite opera and a eagerly awaited film version of the work will finally be released on Tuesday on both Blu-Ray and DVD. Like the 1995 Butterfly movie, the Robert Dornhelm film features singers such as Anna Netrebrebko as Mimi, Rolando Villazon as Rudolfo and Nicole Cabell as Musseta. This film never played in Hawaii but I am sure it had played in cities such as New York and Los Angeles. I know it played in London after I had read a review of the film when it played there. Based on what I saw and heard on the film's trailer at Amazon, it will be awesome. I ordered the Blu- Ray disc from Amazon and it will be shipped on Tuesday and I will post more about the performace and the film after I receive and watch it.
I can hardly wait!
-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-25-2009 02:19 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the zero response this thread has got so far, Giacomo Puccini's LA BOHEME might not be of interest to all of you but I will still post my review of the film and here it is. The Blu-Ray of LA BOHEME arrived from Amazon a week after it was released and I watched it last night on Christmas Eve. A very timely thing to do because Act One of the opera takes place at that time. As expected, the film was beautifully photographed and the performance was superb but there were a few things about this film version that had bothered me very much. First of all, the film was not fully sub titled. The subtitle was partial and only enough just give the viewer who does speak and understand Italian a general idea what was being sung. One most essential part of the opera was not subtitled and it is the exchange of love between Mimi and Rodolfo at the end of act one when Rodolfo asks Mimi "Dammi il bracio mia piccini (Give me your arm my dearest) and she replies "obbedisco signor" (I obey, Monsiur) . Then Rodolfo asks Mimi "CHe mi ami di" (tell me you love me) and Mimi replies "Lo t'amo!" (I love you) . Then the act comes to a touching close when they say to each other "amor Amor (Ah Love, Love). The film used a lot of CGI which were very well done but at times was used in excess such as the act one love scene between Mimi and Rodolfo when the exterior of Paris at night through the large window is suddenly transformed into fast moving clouds during the day for no reason at all. The use of bright red lipstick for Mimi's lips in Act One was also very distracting and unnatural for a girl who was dying from Tuberculosis. The part I have always loved about LA BOHEME is the death scene and when done well has always made me cry like a baby. The way it was done in this movie was dreadful!! First of all there were no blankets to keep Mimi warm as she lay on that sofa dying. She just lay there exposed and when Musetta gives Mimi a fur piece to keep her hands warm, this made the scene even more unreal! When Mimi finally dies, Rodulfo cries out "Mimi! Mimi!, and steps out of the scene and only a uncovered lifeless Mimi is shown when the film fades to dark that had left me totally unmoved and deprived me of the opportunity to cry. What a bummer!

The Blu Ray picture quality was gorgeous with a interview of all the principle cast members and the films' director that ran over an hour and a very informative documentary on the production of the film. In addition to the interviews and production coverage, there is a photo gallery of scenes from the movie which was very nice,

Thank God, I still have the excellent performance of Baz Luhrmann's LA BOHEME on DVD from a live production at the Sydney Opera House with the Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra. This production was so successful in Austraia, it was brought to the United States and played in New York City. I think I will watch this DVD tonight and cry at the end.

-Claude

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2009 01:01 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Claude,
It's not my favourite Puccini, but I might check out the Baz version.
There have been two excellent film versions of Tosca (love it) but, as far as I know, none of Turandot - why?

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2009 01:29 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Turandot was on MetOpera's HDLive series this year, so it should be available on blueray by this summer.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-30-2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,
I understand a DVD of the excellent Franco Zefferelli production of Puccini's TURADOT he had directed for the Metropolitan Opera is available. It features Eva Marton as Turandot, Placido Domingo as Calaf and Liona Mitchell as Liu. James Levine is featured as the conductor of the Metropolitan Opera orchestra. Like all of his other productions for the stage and screen, the Met production of TURANDOT by Franco Zefferelli is indeed grand opera and truly magnificent in every way!

I have this version of TURANDOT and had it for years on a Pioneer laserdisc but never replaced it with a DVD. Now that I am thinking about it, I might do it.

I am also a huge fan of TOSCA and never got any of the filmed version on DVD or Blu Ray. I have a soundtrack CD of the complete opera of TURANDOT on CD and have downloaded it to my iPod and listen to it very often along with my many other operas on the device.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: