Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD bargain Basement prices

Author Topic: DVD bargain Basement prices
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-07-2009 01:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time when brand new DVDs at the time of the format's launch in 1997 was selling for $24.95 and as time progressed they became less expensive. One can get a new release DVD for about $15.00 dollars now. At the same time, older titles are now selling at extremely low prices. One such title is the two disc special edition of Martin Scorsese's RAGING BULL for $9.00 I just bought at Walmart. I really wanted to buy this disc when it was released but it was selling for about $35.00 at the time and I held off from getting it. I guess the old adage "All good things comes to those who wait" is certainly true when buying DVD and recently with Blu Ray discs. Another DVD i wanted is the complete television series V and it is now on sale at Target for $10.00. It was expensive when Warner Home Video released this title about three years ago but they are almost giving it away. The best deal I got recently was the complete season five of GRAYS ANATOMY. Normally I would buy each new season DVD of this program the week when it is released and on sale but I was not able do so with this latest edition. The current list price for this title is about $45.00 but Target had it on sale for $18.95 a couple of weeks ago and I promptly bought a copy. Although I was able to get good deals with laserdiscs many years ago, the prices were never as low as current DVDs until LDs was discontinued and the stores were blowing them out the doors by charging 'give away' prices.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe Bluray of Raging Bull is or was going for 9 dollars on Amazon. I dont know if it contains te same extras or not.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-07-2009 06:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BD of Raging Bull has the same extras, but much better video quality according to reviews.

While some new release DVDs are being priced at or below $15, most are not. I usually see new release single disc DVDs ranging in the $18-$21 range at stores like Wal-Mart.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-24-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Costco is da Best!

I though I had really scored early this year when I was able to pick up the three versions of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3RD KIND in Blu-Ray for $29.95 at Walmart when Best Buy was selling it at that time for almost fifty bucks. This was just about the time when I got into Blu Ray. Imagine my surprise when I saw it on sale for $14.95 last night.

For sometime now, the DIE HARD COLLECTION was selling at Costco for almost $50.00. The current price at Amazon for this set is about $58.50. There were a lot of copies at one time a few weeks before Christmas at the regular store price, but the Costco store I shop at was all sold out last night after it went on sale for $29.95. At that price, I wanted to buy a copy but was very disappointed I could not. I had business in Honolulu early this morning and I thought I might as well try the store in the city and it looked like they were all sold out too. I had some time and was looking for something else to purchase when I came across one last copy of the DIE HARD COLLECTION among some $9.95 BDs. You bet your fanny, I snagged it! Boy I am one happy camper today. [Smile]

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-24-2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really care much for the sequels of Die Hard; I only liked the original movie. I spotted a 2-pack BD bundling Taken and Die Hard together for $17.95. I'm seriously thinking about buying it even if I end up not watching Taken more than a couple or so times.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-24-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike you Bobby, I like all of the DIE HARD movies including DIE HARD #4 although it was the weakest of the four in the series. I thought DIE HARD 2 was just as exciting as the first and the 3rd one one also very good but not as exciting as the first two films.

-Claude

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dollar Tree recently had several MGM DVDs for $1 (what else?) apiece. I picked up Absolute Beginners and Thunderbirds Are Go!; there were definitely more titles, but none I had to have right then.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think Costco is still the 'Da Best' for catalogue Blu Ray prices especially the past week when they had several Warner Brothers BD's on sale for about $9.95 each. They included titles such as THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, ANY GIVEN SUNDAY, DELIVERENCE, JONNY Q, ROBIN HOOD, PRINCE OF THIEVES, THE PELICAN BRIEF, AUGUST RUSH and OUTBREAK. They aso had Fox's SOUTH PACIFIC for about $12.95 and one or two others from that studio but I forgot what they were. I paid almost $30.00 for my copy of SOUTH PACIFIC and now realizes 'All Good Things Comes To Those Who Wait' like when I was able to buy the last season DVD of GREY's ANATHOMY for about $18.95 after it had been out for almost four months. I saved almost thirty dollars there. As much as I would love to get Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT on BD now, the cheapest price is about $25.00 so I rented the BD from Blockbuster and will wait for the price to drop to about $15.00 or less before picking it up. If I can get Barbara Streisand concert Blu Ray for $12.95, there is no reason I cannot get the M. Jackson BD for almost the same price by waiting.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there already a thread for fantastic disk prices? It's even sticky.

EDIT: Oh sorry that's for DVDs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: