Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Universal brings back Flipper Discs! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Universal brings back Flipper Discs!
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-01-2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind DVD-18 (or DVD-14), but have only three DVDs in my collection using those complex flipper formats. I admired Warner Bros. for pushing the "Total HD" format to play nice with both Blu-ray and HD-DVD fans. Unfortunately all it seemed to do was drag out the format war longer.

And now Universal Home Video is taking things a step farther with the introduction of the "BD-59" flipper disc. This hybrid will sandwich a BD-50 and DVD-9 back to back in a one size fits all format. I wonder how much this new thing was tested for compatibility and durability. Those HD-DVD/DVD combo discs weren't exactly trouble free.

Among the first titles in this new format: separate editions of the three Jason Bourne movies and the Tony Scott over-directed flick, Spy Game.

According to comments posted at Blu-ray.com, the BD/DVD hybrid concept was tested in the early days of the BD format but deemed impractical. Apparently BD replication technology must have improved significantly (not to menion lower in cost quite a bit) to allow a new BD/DVD format to arrive in stores.

We'll just have to see how well these discs function. I still think the approach used by Disney -including a BD50 and a separate DVD9 in the same case- is the more reliable and less costly alternative to allowing home theater customers to upgrade to Blu-ray at their own pace.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-02-2009 01:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fucking hate Universal.

The Bourne Movies and Spy Kids are already on DVD. They don't need to be on DVD again.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2009 09:53 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Give us Jaws and Back To The Future already!
The thing i hate about a dual format is a price increase for the dvd which i don't want anyway [Mad]
I have no real use for the digital copy either!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2009 10:12 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how little I paid for Up and Monsters Inc. I'm wondering how little it costs to include a separate DVD in the same case. At least for Disney movies, the extra DVD (and digital copy) is useful. The kids can use, abuse and ruin those low-def copies and keep their grubby little mitts away from the high definition disc. That advantage is lost when the movie studio sandwiches the Blu-ray and DVD versions back to back on the same platter.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2009 12:15 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my HD DVD flip discs. 1080p in my living room, 480i in my bedroom. I thought it was a good way to get around most people having only one HD DVD player in the house, but who have dvd players in a few rooms. That said, if the cost wasn't much more, perhaps i'd rather have the HD version and the SD version on separate discs, but I guess in that case, nothing is stopping you from giving away the SD version to a buddy.

I don't much care for the digital copy either. If I own it on blu-ray with the fancy picture and audio, why would I watch it on my iPhone?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-02-2009 01:10 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With an exception of a few titles, I never bought prerecorded tapes because they were very expensive at the time. Laserdiscs was entirely different and within a few years, I accumulated a huge collection. When DVDs were introduced in 1997, they were much cheaper than laserdiscs and I had to have them too. After investing in a format that is now extinct and another with a lackluster future, I was not planning to get involved in the HD-DVD - Blu-Ray debacle. After Blu-Ray won the format war, Warners Home Video and Fox twisted my arm with Blu-Ray exclusives. I had always wanted a restored HOW THE WEST WAS WON especially in Smilebox but in order to get both, I had to get Blu-Ray. Fox remastered R.&H.'s SOUTH PACIFIC and released in with a beautiful 4K transfer from 65mm elements only on Blu-Ray. Fox went one step further by releasing THE ROBE once again only on Blu-Ray and I had to have that too. Having been placed in a very desperate position by both Warners & Fox, I went to Costco and bought a Blu-Ray player despite the fact that I did not have a HDTV yet. Even though they were in standard definition, I enjoyed HTWWW , SOUTH PACIFIC and THE ROBE on my regular TV set. It soon became obvious in order to take full advantage of my Blu-Ray player, I had to get a HDTV and I did when I went back to Costco and bought a nice 26 in Samsung 1080p set.

Had Warners and Fox did not give me an incentive to purchase a Blu-Ray player and eventually a HDTV by releasing features and two movie exclusive on the high definition format, I would still be watching movies with my standard DVD player and TV. Universal on the other hand is not doing anybody any favors by catering to the DVD crowd by offering them a combined Blu-Ray and DVD on a single disc. As long as a person who loves movies can get whatever they want on DVD, I doubt they will ever upgrade especially during these economic hard times. Universal should do what Warners, Fox and others are doing by offering features exclusive on BD. If they did that, I am sure mostly everyone will switch like I did.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2009 03:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with movie studios and electronics companies trying to make it easier for a consumer to transition from DVD up to Blu-ray. For instance, just about any Blu-ray player can be used as a DVD player and attached to a standard definition TV set (a big reason why DVD-only players will soon disappear). However, the BD-59 flipper is arguably a solution in search of a problem.

It probably costs quite a bit more money to replicate BD-59 discs than to produce separate BD-50 and DVD-9 discs. The 2-disc and multi-disc Blu-ray cases are barely thicker than a single disc case. Disney could have shipped Snow White in single inventory packaging, but chose to create 2 different product SKUs despite the contents inside being indentical.

quote: Jarret Chessell
I don't much care for the digital copy either. If I own it on blu-ray with the fancy picture and audio, why would I watch it on my iPhone?
Because certain executives think that is what people want. They don't realize people use music and movies in different ways. You can work, exercise or do any number of other tasks with music playing as a background element. Movies demand your direct attention in order for them to be experienced properly. Pretty obvious stuff. And that makes it even more funny that so many people at the top don't get it.

quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I had always wanted a restored HOW THE WEST WAS WON especially in Smilebox but in order to get both, I had to get Blu-Ray. Fox remastered R.&H.'s SOUTH PACIFIC and released in with a beautiful 4K transfer from 65mm elements only on Blu-Ray.
Some reviewed I read about the South Pacific Blu-ray said it was sourced from a 8000 line scan and digital intermediate. 8K seems to be getting a little more use on certain catalog titles, most recently Gone With the Wind had its elements scanned and processed in 8K.

quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Had Warners and Fox did not give me an incentive to purchase a Blu-Ray player and eventually a HDTV by releasing features and two movie exclusive on the high definition format, I would still be watching movies with my standard DVD player and TV.
How many Americans are receiving HD quality broadcasts in their homes versus merely watching SDTV shows on HDTV sets? How many Americans own a Blu-ray player? How many Americans have both HDTV programming and Blu-ray players?

I wonder about that because I didn't upgrade my digital satellite programming to a high definition subscription until about 5 months after buying my HDTV set and Playstation 3. One of my friends had his PS3 for about year before finally upgrading his digital satellite service. The thing that got him to upgrade: watching football games and other sports in high definition.

Whether I'm just watching TV shows or watching movies I have in my collection, I'm really very spoiled to watching everything in high definition.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me first say is that I have owned video stores for over 16 years and been in the home video for over 20 years in addition to being a theater owner right now.

The digital copy has high value to many. I have talked to buyers at Best Buy & Wal-Mart and they are willing to pay more to get that digital copy. I also sell a decent amount of copies on Amazon and those buyers place a high value on that digital copy.

As far as including some sort of standard dvd with Blu-Ray: Customers like the added flexibility that extra version adds. in the car, kids room, bedroom, etc. It is making the transition and higher cost much easier for consumers to stomach. Remember that most Blu-Ray copies (even in today's price wars) are $3-4 higher.

Of course I like the combos b/c I basically get 2 for 1.

I agree though that most customers would rather have 2 seperate discs.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-02-2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like the Digital Copy. The only ones I buy are when I have no other choice. I do not like it being forced upon me, either.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-02-2009 11:52 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarret Chessell
I think the bigger market for the "digital copy" now might be that a lot of people are buying those small netbook computers which don't have a DVD/Blu-Ray drive. Or maybe even people who just have a regular laptop but don't feel like dragging their disks around on their trips.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2009 01:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you need a DVD drive to obtain the "Digital Copy". I am very happy with my analog Blu-ray copy.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 02:10 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
But you need a DVD drive to obtain the "Digital Copy".
I'm pretty sure that everyone making a big deal about digital copies have a desktop that could be used for obtaining the file before transferring it to the netbook (even if it is ridiculous to call it a "digital copy").

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2009 02:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought they should be called "Portable Copies" but what the flying hell do I know?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 03:34 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the disk isn't portable? [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2009 04:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, analog things cannot be portable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: