Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blu Ray wish list

Author Topic: Blu Ray wish list
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-29-2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very happy with what has been released so far on Blu-Ray but there are many films I want that has not yet been announced . Here are a few I can think of that I want to add to my collection--

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
JURASSIC PARK
JAWS
ET
BEN-HUR
THE AFRICAN QUEEN
DR. ZHIVAGO
VERTIGO
THE BIRDS
REAR WINDOW
PSYCHO
MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
STAR WARS (Episides 4-6)
INDIANA JONES series
BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER KWAI
THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT
THE ABYSS
THE GUNS OF NAVARONE
SHICHININ NO SAMURA (The Seven Samurai)
RAN
RASHOMON
JIGOKUMON (Gate of Hell)
IKIRU (To Live)
AKAHIGE (Red Beard)
BIRUMA NO TATEGOTO (Harp of Burma)

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-29-2009 05:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to da Future
Saving Private Ryan
Aladdin
Findin' Nemo
The Incredibles
Toy Story 1&2
Jurassic Park
Star Wars 4-6
Titanic
Aliens
The Abyss
Seven
Transformers The Movie
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Beauty and the Beast (maybe)
Lion King (maybe)
Indianda Jones 1-3

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-29-2009 07:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to include two wonderful Paramount films that were in VistaVision in my list.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
WHITE CHRISTMAS

The DVD I have of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS look awesome when upconverted on my HDTV and so does WHITE CHRISTMAS. If Paramount did some restoration from the original 8 perf VistaVision negatives,, the results should be spectacular in Blu-Ray!

-Claude

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-29-2009 09:29 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic
American Beauty
The Incredibles
The Big Lebowski
Being John Malkovich
Lost in Translation
What's Up Doc
Targets
Cape Fear (Scorsese)
All of David Lynch's films
Pulp Fiction (which WAS announced at one point but hasn't happened, along with...)
Jackie Brown
A single disc release of Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (so I don't have to buy the crappy sequels)
A single disc release of Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 (so I don't have to own Spider-Man 3)

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2009 09:40 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they'd stop pricing them low so I'm less tempted to buy more! [Frown]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-29-2009 10:07 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...

The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Stepford Wives (the original)

K. I'm done.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 12:24 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic horror titles from Universal Studios, Hammer Studios and Roger Corman.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 04:01 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy if they just released the Lord of the Rings Trilogy like they were going to back in November before all the haters moaned about the lack of the Extended Editions not being available right away!

That said, however, I'd take the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and Back to the Future series happily! Aliens would be an immediate purchase, no question about it.

I would expect Toy Story 1 & 2 to be released as a 3-pack when Toy Story 3 is ready for Blu-ray release. Sadly, Aladdin did not make Disney's 13-movie roster of upcoming Diamond Edition releases.

The fact that White Christmas, Bells of St. Mary's, Going My Way, and Holiday Inn are not available on Blu-ray this season is a huge missed opportunity. I've not seen the job that was done on It's a Wonderful Life yet (it's my least favorite of the Christmas classics), but if skilled people were put to work on high definition releases of those movies, I think they would do well in the marketplace.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy almost everything on Joe's list, except I'd take off The Incredibles and replace it with all the other Pixar movies he left off, except A Bug's Life.

I would also add The Blues Brothers.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 06:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see more films shot on 65mm, 55mm & 8 perf. Technirama released on Blu-Ray.

In addition to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA AND BEN HUR I had already mentioned, I would love to have--

HELLO DOLLY
STAR
SOUND OF MUSIC
KING & I (CinemaScope 55)
CAROUSEL (CinemaScope 55)
OKLAHOMA
THE AGONY & THE ECTASY
CLEOPATRA
RAINTREE COUNTY
RYAN'S DAUGHTER
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
MY FAIR LADY
SPARTACUS (Technirama)
EL CID (Technirama)
THE KING OF KINGS
THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD
THE ALAMO
IT's A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD
EXODUS
CAN-CAN

There are more but these are the ones I can think of at the moment. I thought Fox did a wonderful job with the Blu RAY of SOUTH PACIFIC. I understand it was scanned at 4K and I hope the studios will make an effort to release most or all of the films I had mentioned in the highest quality possible like that classic R&H musical.

-Claude

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 06:23 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I would also add The Blues Brothers
Mike - which do you prefer? Theatrical or Extended?

I would like "1941" with branching for both versions.

Claude - ditto for IAMMMMW! It needs a full restoration. I think they found the original "police call" intermission sound a few years back.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 09:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: Theatrical. I have the most recent special-edition which contains both cuts. Some of the add-ins are OK but not really necessary. I wouldn't mind seeing a cut with even more of the ending concert included.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-30-2009 09:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few of the Blu-ray discs on my wish list:

The Abyss: Special Edition
Alien
Aliens
American Beauty
Apocalypse Now
(in 2.39:1 pretty please)
Back to the Future
Beauty and the Beast
Citizen Kane
Days of Heaven
E.T.: The Extraterrestrial
Finding Nemo
The Fly
(1986 Cronenberg remake}
The Game
Insomnia
Jaws
Jurassic Park
The Incredibles
Lawrence of Arabia
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Lost in Translation
The Lion King
Momento
Millers Crossing
Minority Report
Panic Room
Pulp Fiction
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Road to Perdition
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Seven
Star Wars Original Trilogy
Team America: World Police
Titanic
Tombstone
Toy Story 1-2
Trainspotting
Tron
True Lies
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

There's more I could add, but this is just off the cuff.

The following is a list of titles already on Blu-ray, but ones I would like to see improved (new film scans, new DI masters, un-fucked-up transfers, high bit-rate video on 50GB discs, etc.)

Batman Begins
Dark City
Gangs of New York
Gladiator
Patton
Robocop: Unrated Cut
Silence of the Lambs
Speed

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2009 07:52 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what worries me is here we go again , i guess we all had these titles we cherish on video then laser then dvd and now we are starting again on blu ray.

Listening to a recent science show , they spoke about work on a laser that will read information reflected from each spectrum color from a single impression on a dvd .The data storage capacity from a single dvd disc would be so high about 2000 movies would fit on one disc.

I will try and find the show and post a link to it. was very interesting , but nothing was said about the format and type of players that would be used . will we toss out the blu ray and buy once more on this new system. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: