Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » New Blu-Ray prices coming down (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: New Blu-Ray prices coming down
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-22-2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Blu-Ray prices have always been high and averaged at about $25.00 when they were on sale but I am very grateful to Walmart for making two other retailers reduce their prices. It has almost been about a month when Walmart started to charge $19.96 for their new releases. I first noticed it with the 2nd TRANSFORMERS movie followed by SNOW WHITE, UP, GI JOE, and STARTRACK. Although Best Buy was asking about $25.00 for these movies, I got Best Buy to mach Walmart prices when I bought some of there. I can see with this mornings Sunday newspaper tabloid sale flyer, both Best Buy and Target are advertising ANGELS & DEMONS for $19.96. Best Buy is still charging about $25.00 for FOUR CHRISTMAS, another new release but Target is asking $19.96 for that too and Best Buy will have to match that too if asked. This is great new for new releases but if all retailers can also decrease Blu-Ray catalogue prices,I think more people who have a HDTV and still watching DVDS will probably upgrade to Blu-Ray.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-22-2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the newness is beginning to wear off some .. pretty soon, you'll see BR's in the $5.00 bin at "Wally's World"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-22-2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These comments should probably be in the "sticky" thread about low Blu-ray disc prices at the top of the Afterlife topics page.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 04:11 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
STARTRACK
Come on Claude! You can do better than that! [Razz]

In any case that is good to know. I probably need to get a Blu-Ray player after the holiday season is over.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 05:38 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the "black friday" ads for the best prices on BR players.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-25-2009 07:07 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just over at my Blockbuster store and my friend Sherry who is the manager told me they will also be charging $19.95 for new release Blu-Ray titles beginnIng next week. I guess the $25.00 new BD prices is history. Now that some stores will be selling BD player for about a hundred dollars on Black Friday, I think prices will come down some more when Blu-Ray become more mainstream. I can't wait for that to happen.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-25-2009 08:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, the electronics industry takes what could have been a great way to make some money and destroys it. No surprise, I guess.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-26-2009 12:14 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That all depends on what it actually costs to make a mass-produced Blu-ray title. I think it's safe to guess replication costs for Blu-ray have decreased. At the same time the customer base for Blu-ray has grown much larger over the past couple years.

When I bought my PS3 nearly 2 years ago it was common for any Blu-ray release to register well under 10% of overall disc sales for any title. Now we're seeing Blu-ray regularly pass the 20% mark and sometimes go well beyond that. For example, the BD version of Up has represented nearly 25% of all disc sales for that title. That's very impressive considering Blu-ray has nowhere near 1/4 the overall installed base of optical disc movie players. The people who own Blu-ray players are buying a lot more movies than folks who merely own a DVD player.

Also worthy of note, Blu-ray is doing particularly well in catalog sales and sales of new titles that have been available for more than a few weeks. More than 50% of the discs currently being sold of Pixar's movie Cars is coming from Blu-ray. Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut has boasted better than 50% Blu-ray share since it was released a couple weeks ago.

I think the movie studios have a little more wiggle room in how they price Blu-ray discs. Getting new release titles priced just under $20 hits a certain psychological sweet spot. We saw this with DVD several years ago. They take a few bucks off the list price, but more than make up for that discount by radically growing the customer base. Nothing new. Blu-ray is following a template already well established by the history of the DVD format. I just hope the format doesn't get to the $5 Wal-Mart bargain bin thing too fast. With online merchants offering quite a few catalog titles on BD for just under $10 I have to wonder about that.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2009 12:25 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bought a BR player either nor a flat screen tv (although I do have my eye on one). I've held off on the BR player waiting for all the bugs to be worked out after several posts on here and elsewhere.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-26-2009 12:40 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "bugs" have been worked out of Blu-ray for quite some time now. Just beware of what you might be getting or not getting in a low cost Blu-ray player. I'm still recommending the Playstation 3 for Blu-ray use, although some other higher quality standalone Blu-ray players are also very good.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-26-2009 10:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add another positive statistic for Blu-ray, the new release of Star Trek set a new record for market share in Blu-ray sales. According to Nielsen Videoscan Star Trek during its first week of release on home video saw 38% of disc sales go to Blu-ray.

That beats the previous record set by the original release of Watchmen (the new "ultimate edition" issued just recently is seeing more than half its sales go to Blu-ray, but it is a second "double dipped" release).

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2009 11:08 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Star Trek 2 disk digital copy on blue ray for 19.95 at wal-mart. Cheaper than the 2disk DVD version (21.95)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-26-2009 11:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The people who own Blu-ray players are buying a lot more movies than folks who merely own a DVD player.

Also worthy of note, Blu-ray is doing particularly well in catalog sales and sales of new titles that have been available for more than a few weeks.

The second sentence quoted here explains the first one. Lots of people buying the Blu-Ray machines are buying their first video player, so they're building their libraries. Whereas older guys like myself, even when I do buy a BR player, I'm not exactly planning to go spend thousands of dollars to replace the couple hundred movies I own on DVD (even if they were all available). Maybe a few, but certainly not all.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 11:00 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New blu-rays are coming out with added features to accomodate higher-quality formats (more specifically, FHD stereoscopic 3-D) and recently introduced HDMI 1.4 outputs.

http://www.panasonic.com/3d/media/pdf/panasonic_hd3d_qanda.pdf
[Link is to Q&A with Panasonic on 3D-at-home, answers include stuff like they are trying to standarize 3D blu-rays specs by year's end and how current blu-rays players won't be able to play 3D titles but in 2D]

http://3dathome.org/report-detail.aspx?item=1887&code=about-consortium-news§ion=about

quote:
San Jose, Calif. - November 9, 2009 – The 3D@Home Consortium announced today the completion and transmittal of key documents to be used in the creation of digital 3D standards by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) working groups. The document ST2-01 3D Digital Interface Requirements enables the standards committees to have input from the wide cross-section of the industry which 3D@Home represents. The documents ST4-03 3D Active Shutter Glasses Database” and ST4-04 3D Passive Glasses Database assist the standards committees in understanding the range of products that will be interacting with the 3D systems. Both documents were requested by CEA working groups as part of their discovery process before working on the technical details of the standards.
If you are interested in 3D playback at home, you may want to hold on the purchase of a blu-ray player 'til next Christmas, when the 3D models are expected.

And, BTW, since "new players" and "new TV's" are "needed" anyway for 3D, the "new" format may include "surprises" such as support for higher-quality blu-ray content [i.e. 10-bits, more frame rates, etc]

We'll see if/what they agree to include in the "new" standard. So far, they have already agreed to full-HD-per-eye. That, of course, means twice the resolution/bandwidth/call-it-what-you-want as current players.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-27-2009 01:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Lots of people buying the Blu-Ray machines are buying their first video player, so they're building their libraries.
I kind of doubt that's the case considering well over 130 million standalone DVD players were sold in North America between 1997 and 2005. I certainly don't know anyone personally who has a Blu-ray player but has never owned a DVD player.

OTOH, I do know quite a few people who simply never got into buying movies on DVD even with the movies being available at dirt cheap prices. There's a decent chance some of the people in that category see more value in collecting movies with high definition quality.

I think the big shift from standard definition television to high definition is helping Blu-ray movie sales. High definition still seems like a new, novel thing to many people. Once a customer understands the difference and especially if he has bought a large HDTV set he is going to want a lot of HD quality content to play on the new toy. Catalog titles on Blu-ray, particularly if they're well produced, are going to generate some sales.

Price is also a big, big thing. That's making a difference on whether I buy certain catalog titles or not. I ordered Blazing Saddles, The Good The Bad & The Ugly and Monsters vs. Aliens because they were priced really low at Amazon. I probably would have passed if they had $20 or higher price tags.

I think another thing that is taking place is Blu-ray player owners are buying some different catalog titles they may have never owned on DVD. I have a lot of DVDs in my collection that I don't plan on updating to Blu-ray. But there's other catalog titles I've thought about buying in the past and now am considering for Blu-ray. For example, I never owned a copy of Leon: The Professional, but I bought a copy on Blu-ray because it had very good video quality, both US and Int'l cuts of the film and a $15 price.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: