Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Fight Club on Blu-ray is superfabuloustic!

Author Topic: Fight Club on Blu-ray is superfabuloustic!
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-17-2009 10:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually we haven't watched it yet, but what it with the super flimsy box? Open it up and there are giant holes in it in the shape of the lame "recycle" logo on one side and the disc on the other. Recycling is for losers. I would rather have a sturdy Blu-ray case than save the world. The world be still be around when I die so it really doesn't matter if it goes on after that or not.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-17-2009 10:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the package design for the original 2-disc special edition DVD of Fight Club.

It's too bad Fox couldn't do something as good for the Blu-ray. Too many geeks out there are more interested in a perfectly identical set of movie cases rather than have any sort of variety.

I may be waiting another day or two before my BD copy of Fight Club arrives. Right now its stuck in Coffeyville, KS. Tracking info says its been there all day and still there this evening. They'll probably let it sit there a good while longer before it hops to Tulsa, Oklahoma City and finally Lawton.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-17-2009 11:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't like it when something stands out on the shelf like a sore thumb. That's why I put all the digibooks together in the corner where they belong, out of sight. Fight Club looks fine on the shelf, it's just super-flimsy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 11:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that same recycle-logo cutout on the Woodstock DVD box. I thought it was some lame "green" thing just being done for that movie or something since I hadn't seen it anywhere else.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2009 04:05 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the "Never Been Kissed" menu is just a joke from the director to you. The Blu-ray disc is not defective. [Smile]

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2009 04:09 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im still watching my D-theater tape of this. I miss D-theater.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-21-2009 12:00 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents have the D-Theater tape (along with around 20 or so other D-VHS releases). It's a shame D-VHS never caught on with the public, but the tape cassettes looked just like VHS tapes and you had to rewind them just like VHS tapes. The picture quality was vastly superior to DVD though.

On Blu-ray Fight Club looks as good as I've ever seen it on a TV set. I think the video on this release has to have been sourced from a new master. The picture is very steady, sharp in many shots and often shows a natural, subtle layer of grain. Of course the color is desaturated -obviously an appropriate creative decision on the part of the director.

One other thing. The Blu-ray version is dark. The black levels are noticeably pumped upward even to the point of crushing out certain shadow details. Even some details closer to mid range are even darkened. One example: the first scene between Brad Pitt and Edward Norton on the airliner. On the DVD you could more easily see Brad Pitt's eyes through his glasses when he tells Edward, "you have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh." On the Blu-ray version his eyes are more hidden. I don't necessarily think this is a mastering error. It seems more like a creative decision. Fight Club is meant to look really dark with very inky blacks and a lot of gritty detail.

Another thing about the improved video quality, the photogrammetry CGI shots look a little more CG in 1080p. The limits in rendering quality were more easily hidden in the low resolution of 480p DVD. Also, the subliminal shots of Tyler Durden appearing early in the movie are noticeably easier to spot. They're also more funny to look at when stepping through the shot frame by frame.

I wonder if the new Blu-ray version has its audio sourced from a newly tweaked master. I don't have a HDMI-enabled surround sound receiver yet, but the DTS mix I heard had better surround imaging and more subtle details coming through than the previous DVD version. The disc also seems louder too. That mid air collision thing is pretty damned startling. Wow.

I love the opening menu. Funny joke. During the movie a magazine is laying on a table showing Drew Barrymore on the cover. I think there has to be more to this joke than any of us know. Probably a big inside joke.

quote: Joe Redifer
Actually we haven't watched it yet, but what it with the super flimsy box?
Yeah, the paperboard sleeve really sucks. This is one area where the Blu-ray is a downgrade from the 2-disc SE DVD. That package was far better both in function and design. The BD has the usual, plain jane BD case with nothing in it but the disc and the shoplifter prevention thingie. The DVD has more. Where the hell is the "How To Start A Fight" booklet? This is one of those cases where I'm going to have to keep my DVD of the movie along with the Blu-ray.

The holes in the actual plastic case are a major head scratcher. What the hell is up with that nonsense? Is Fincher calling for that stuff? I'm only wondering about that over the paperboard designs of the Seven and Fight Club 2-disc DVD cases. Does he have something against plastic?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-21-2009 01:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The paperboards are completely useless and go direct to the trash can where they belong. I suppose the "green" plastic case is supposed to compensate for all of the extra landfill space that the pointless paperboards will require.

quote: Bobby Henderson
It's a shame D-VHS never caught on with the public
Not really.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-21-2009 01:46 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think D-VHS had its rightful place for the time being. A lot of time passed between the launch of DVD and Blu-ray. Still a lot of time passed between when D-VHS was launched and the launch of Blu-ray. The Blu-ray format isn't perfect either. No home theater HD video format will be "perfect" until we're playing 1080p or higher resolution video in lossless or uncompressed form.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-21-2009 02:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. Even when it came out I kept thinking: "Tapes? Please."

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-21-2009 07:16 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I suppose the "green" plastic case is supposed to compensate for all of the extra landfill space that the pointless paperboards will require.

It's all cool because the paper sleeves are biodegradable... except in landfills where there is no air or soil.

The best thing about my D-VHS deck is that it has component out so I can still play my VHS tapes on an HD monitor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: