Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Stupid video questions (DVR category)

Author Topic: Stupid video questions (DVR category)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 08:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I'm thinking I want to buy a DVR setup for my house. We don't have any electronics outlets around here so I'll have to get stuff online. I'm turning to my Film-Tech buddies for some sage advice.

We have cable TV and three sets. (No need for satellite, we don't watch enough to warrant anything but basic cable.) Can I buy a DVR setup that will be able to play its recorded content on any of the sets? What do I need besides the DVR itself to accomplish this? Are there wireless options?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 07:05 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - I have been looking into DVR also and it seems my cable company has the best deal. You might want to check yours for the specifics as well.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 11:50 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My setup is quite basic. Since we often will record two things at once, and play back in different rooms, there are:
Two cable boxes (one is hi-def),
Two DVD recorders (one Philips, one Toshiba),
One VHS recorder/player (Sony).
I use re-usable DVDs, so after viewing a recorded program, the disc can be erased. If I want to keep something, I import it to a computer, edit out unwanted lead-ins, commercials, etc., then burn a new permanent disc.
This has worked efficiently for several years. There are only two of us involved. Most of the recording is for time shift, watched, then erased.

DM

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 12:31 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multi-room DVR's do exist, and are rentable from some cable tv providers. Most DVR's work in only one room, as they need to be directly connected. As far as I know, no multi-room DVR is available for purchase.

If you wish to purchase a DVR, Tivo is really the only game in town. Yes, there are other options, but they are more expensive, and most require a separate computer.

My recommendation for what you say you want this for, is to rent one from your cable company. That way if it fails or the cable changes there internal requirements, the cable company will take care of replacing it. If you need multi-room capability and your cable company does not offer multi-room DVR's, then some sort of wireless repeater such as you would use with a vcr is in order.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: