Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Strange 3-D system.

Author Topic: Strange 3-D system.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2009 05:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to Sainsbury's (a supermarket chain) today, and by the exit was a bin of free 3-D glasses for a 3-D week this month on Channel 4 television. I won't be able to see it because I haven't had a television set for several years now, put I picked up a pair of glasses anyway, because they're rather odd. The right lens is a deep blue, perhaps not quite as saturated as a Wratten 47B separation filter, but not far from it. The left lens is much paler, and a sort of burnt orange/brown colour, something like I've seen used rather than a neutral grey for the dark lens in glasses for the Pulfrich system. Anybody seen anything like this before? Even these people, web page who seem to sell just about every other type of 3-D glasses don't have anything like them.

|  IP: Logged

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't tell for sure, but it sounds like Color-Code 3D anaglyph glasses. Just another anaglyph variation with some advantages when trying to reproduce (near) full-spectrum color.

www.colorcode3d.com

You can find them here, i.e. (look for "colorcode" ones)

http://www.3dglasses-online.eu/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=43c011bb338c360c5aa18cadf149ff48

In this page, where they sell the glasses, they list the patent numbers in case you want to find out more about it:

http://www.colorcode3d.dk/group.asp?group=13

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is ColorCode 3-D; there's a logo inside the frames which I hadn't noticed. I downloaded a HD trailer and tried it on an old Apple ADC Cinema Display connected to my laptop. It's better than most 3-D video that I've seen, but rather dark. It's a pity that I'm no longer projecting as I could try it on a cinema screen. I might try it on a video projector at work.

The glasses are made by American Paper Optics, who also seem to make glasses for just about every system, including the green/magenta 'Trioscopic' ones, which I haven't seen before. The ColorCode glasses seem to give an almost normal left image, and an almost monochromatic right one, which is pretty much what you would expect, but the overall effect does actually seem to work butter than other video systems. I'll have to try printing out a couple of still frames on paper, and see how they look.

There are details of the 3-D week here: web page I'll have to try to get somebody from work to record something on DVD for me so I've got some longer samples than the trailer I downloaded.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 08:27 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All about ColorCode 3-D.

http://www.colorcode3d.com/index_back.htm

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they look like this?
 -
These were the type used for some 3D commercials here in
the US during the Super Bowl broadcast earlier this year.
One of the 3D spots was for "Monsters VS Aliens" and I can't
recall the other. (Which perhaps is an indication of either
ineffective advertising,or just old age creeping up on me!)

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 01:10 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These forms of anaglyph were tried DECADES ago (try a century and a half ago) and discarded in favor of red/cyan for good reason.

The only reason they're getting play now is not because they are technically better in any way (and worse with the *lack* of filtration in the ColorCode amber eye), is because they're being promoted as "new."

These companies are trying to fool the public, who has had bad experiences with anaglyph in the past because it wasn't done properly, that this is somehow "different."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: